• 2 Post By KentRatke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possible Future Owner

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to get a CX-3 in the near future, likely a Soul Red GT model. I wanted to see what people liked/hated most about their cars and what mods people often do (if any).

I have a Fiesta ST which I will keep and previous to that a Mazda6 GT as my other vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2017, 06:35 AM
KAS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the chassis tuning, Mazdas are a dream to drive. Fuel economy is great. I like the styling, and I get a lot of nods on its looks. Value is very good too on the GT models lots of bells and whistles for a $25 k car.
BUT the car is small, owning a Fiesta that probably won't be an issue for you. Inventory is also kind of limited so finding the exact car you want may be an issue. The motor is in line with the class, but I find it kind of buzzy at anything over 50.
All in all I'm a fan, but it's not perfect.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Dislikes (and why they don't matter):

The USDM armrest is stupid. (Removing it is easy.)

I think the high-speed damper tuning (bumps, potholes, expansion joints) needs work. There's a shudder over road imperfections and I think it's related to the dampers not being well-tuned to the unsprung mass. The only time I've felt something like this was on an NA Miata with bad shocks. I may try and mount up my light race wheels from my RX-8 and see if it improves. (This is truly a minor nitpick that doesn't actually negatively impact ownership. I'm just paying too much attention to stuff like this because I keep inching my race car up to more and more modified classes so it's fresh in my head.)

There's not enough room for four people and luggage. (I don't actually have that many friends and I sure as hell don't travel much. I only noticed this when my parents had a long layover in Chicago on their way to Italy and wanted to meet up for lunch. Rent a larger car for the 1 day each year when it's a problem.)

No power memory seats. (I didn't pay premium/luxury car price so this is to be expected. If I wanted it that bad, I should have just gotten an Infiniti EX35/EX37/QX50.)

The noisy-ass, low grip, craptacular tires. (This is true of all non-performance cars. Just plunk down the $600 to have TireRack ship a set of Continental DWS or Kumho Solus TA71 or Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires and have the dealer swap them for you.)

No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. (Yet. I tweeted with a Mazda PR rep last night and he said a retrofit is coming "eventually".)

The engine doesn't have >250 hp. (It's hard when you come from a 330 hp Infiniti G37x Sedan. It's not like I've actually needed more I just kind of miss it.)

Like:

Fuel economy. I have no problem getting 36 mpg on my way to work in the morning and 27 mpg on my way home (Chicago traffic can be highly asymmetric).

The chassis setup (aside from above) is stellar.

The stability control and AWD combo is like my parents growing up: lets me have fun while still keeping me alive. It's far less intrusive than the stability control on my RX-8. I can hang the tail out just enough in slow-speed turns in the snow to scare my wife but not enough that it's unsafe.

Interior fit and finish is better than any other Mazda I've ever been in.

Paddle shifters on the transmission work even in non-sport, non-manual mode. Cruising along and see that you'll need to pass? Hit the downshift paddle and it'll hold that lower gear for a while so you can spool up the engine before you start your passing maneuver.

Transmission rev-matches downshifts. I had a VW with the Tiptronic slushbox (not DSG) and that was the worst at downshifting.

iACTIVSENSE. I'm in love with blind spot warning and radar cruise control. I've gotten so used to them that I've had a few scary moments driving my RX-8 to race events not remembering that it won't automatically slow down when using cruise control on the highway.

LED Headlights. Do not get a CX-3 without these. Retrofit if you have to. They are easily the best headlights on any car I've ever owned (this includes the xenon HIDs in my RX-8 and previous '09 Infiniti G37x.
anchorman and st3v3cx-3 like this.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the candid info and feedback. It confirms my experience in driving and using one as well as the reviews that I have read.
I look forward to picking up my own CX-3 in the coming months, likely in the fall.

Look forward to becoming a full member of the forum! We use a CX-3 at the track I volunteer at as a medic car, which inspired me to look into buying one.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Every car has trade-offs. The secret to being happy with your purchase is to understand what those are before you sign on the dotted line.

The CX-3 is small but it's a good little urban runabout that's more engaging than a Yaris or Versa.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone!

I'm back and pleased to announce that I have made my purchase, a 2016 GT in Soul Red!
st3v3cx-3 and NotAPreppie like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode