3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2015, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parchment ... Care / Protection

First post....

Fell in love w/ the CX-3 months ago when I saw some images online as I began my new car research. Lusted over it while I watched other markets across the world slowly see the release of the vehicle. Built up my credit and saved my pennies.

Finally it's sees a soft release in the U.S. and I start to drool over the online reviews. In particular, I fall in love with the images of the parchment interior available on the GT. Stunning!

Make up my mind that she's the one for me. Slowly start seeing models hit lots in America. Constantly check local (Ann Arbor, Michigan) market. Nothing!

Eventually, cars start to populate online sites near me. I hunt, search and devour every update I can find online ...( which led me here as a lurker for months).

Wanted the GT. Wanted the crystal white pearl. Wanted the parchment interior that I saw in almost every single review. Yet not a single dealer had her. Expanded out to 250 miles. Nope. Every dealer was bringing in models with the all black interior. Parchment was impossible to find.

Long story long ... got my local dealer to locate one and do a swap. Picked her up this morning ... and love her!

My one biggest concern in maintaining the look and feel of the parchment leather.

Was hoping others on here could lend me some guidance and opinions on how to best clean/maintain/protect the parchment interior. Are there certain brands of cleaners/conditioners that are recommended? Schedule of application? Things to know or avoid (other then blue jeans!)?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. She's my first NEW car I've ever owned. I know there will be chips and dings that eventually happen, and totally piss me off, but I want to maintain her interior as best I can.
LeeBeckstar and Sarah like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the club.

I've got the Parchment interior (Stone White over here strangely) and don't really struggle keeping it clean. If you love your car as much as you do, you shouldn't struggle with rule number 1 and that is, clean it frequently. The black seats are leatherette and Alcantara which are both synthetic materials. The white is real leather and real suede so entirely natural. There are various interior cleaners but I have only found one brand that is really good on our seats - Autoglym. Use a very fine mist of Interior Shampoo or apply via a sponge to the suede and use Leather Cleaner to clean the rest. If you spray onto the leather, it won't harm but wipe it off right away with a damp cloth. I use an Autoglym leather as no fibres transfer to the seats. If you want a "quick do", use Meguires leather wipes on the leather but not the suede. There are various leather care gels and sprays you can use to condition the leather which will keep it supple and stop it cracking. I've got several with no real preference and would use them maybe twice a year. The really heavy gels can be greasy so I would only tend to use them before putting the car away for the night so it can dry out a bit.

If you keep your carpets well vacuumed, you can use the same Autoglym Interior Cleaner on them but whether doing the seats or the carpets, I cannot over emphasise that "less is more", you want a very fine even mist.

The best cleaner for the dash top is Meguires Interior Cleaner! It's dirt cheap in Walmart and cleans all the hard surfaces really well. The main benefit on the dash is that it dries really dull - just like a new dash. Vehicle manufacturers spend millions developing materials that don't reflect in the windscreen yet many people go and instantly make a balls up by spraying silicone on it - they should be shot at dawn!

Just to make a distinction between these two products, the Autoglym shampoo is a wet process and is especially good for soiled or really dirty surfaces. Wipe off any spray before it dries and it won't harm any of the surfaces in the car. The Meguires product is a dry process in that you don't follow up with a wet cloth or leather, you wipe it off with clean microfibre cloths. Do not let it dry on any surface and do not get any more than very slight overspray on the SUEDE parts of your interior and don't forget that those panels in the doors are real suede too.

When you've got to grips with the interior, you need to get on top of the exterior before the winter. Wash with good shampoo like Meguires Gold Class, clay with plenty of detailing fluid then a quick polish and a final coat of wax. You can get it all at Walmart at not much expense and any Martians sat looking at Planet Earth will wonder what it is that glints in the sun.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 12 Old 10-15-2015, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Yesterday I noticed my new dark-blue jeans left a streak of blue on my parchment seat, I almost had a heart attack, then I remembered I had a bottle of Turtle Wax leather protector that I bought for my previous car, this is the one:

I just use a microfiber cleaning pad with it.

As Anchorman said, Meguiar is one of the best brands for auto care though.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I've always used Lexol on my leather seats with great success. Leaves a nice matte finish and the leather nice and supple.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
I've always used Lexol on my leather seats with great success. Leaves a nice matte finish and the leather nice and supple.
Just looked on Amazon UK. There is a cleaner, conditioner and a spray. Which do you use?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Just looked on Amazon UK. There is a cleaner, conditioner and a spray. Which do you use?
The multi-use version.

This is also the only chemical i use on my interiors. All else is cleaned with a damp microfiber towel. IMO, its all you ever need.

3-in-1 Non-Darkening Leather Care 16.9 oz | Lexol

anchorman likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like to use Ponds make-up remover wipes especially great for when my denim jeans transfer to the leather. It's compact so I always keep a small supply in my car for precautions and it's also strong enough to remove stains hence make-up remover yet gentle enough to use on your skin so it's actually great for the leather. That been my best tip to keeping the new look
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I have been wondering about the black suede panels. I am not sure what should be used to spruce them up. I have never seen suede used on any other car that I have had, so this is new to me.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-22-2016, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I have been wondering about the black suede panels. I am not sure what should be used to spruce them up. I have never seen suede used on any other car that I have had, so this is new to me.
All else fails ask the dealer. They may have some kind of Mazda approved cleaners.

If they're no help, I'd probably resort to getting some suede cleaner from from a shoe store along with a small brush. Google "How to clean suede" for lots of other tips on removing stains and other cleaning methods.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know what kind of product should be used on the 'Leatherette' interior which comes on the Touring models? Is it suede? Pleather? Just a thinner leather? I'm reading good things about the brand "303" which is good for UV protection, but the stuff is not meant to be used on suede, apparently. Any help at all would be appreciated.

2016 Crystal White Pearl AWD CX-3 Touring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode