Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Dashboard squeak/rattle

23K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Lynda 
#1 ·
Anyone else have dashboard squeak/rattles? The noise comes from around my passenger side bullet vent. Seems to stop when I have a passenger push on the round air vent but the vent itself is not loose. Haven't gone to the dealer yet as I don't want my CX3 to be the first one that they pull the dash off on but it's beginning to really annoy me. Anyone have this rattle/squeaking and found a fix?

#2 ·
Ask your passenger to just push up on the glovebox lid and see if that stops it.

#3 ·
Good thought Anchorman. That was the first thing I tried but that wasn't it. The glovebox is open to the dash in the upper right corner. My passenger/helper was able reach inside the dash vent area from the glovebox and was even able to grab the air vent - which does have some foam wrapped around it, but still couldn't find the source of the noise. I dread having the dealer rip apart my dash but may have no choice. :(

#5 ·
I have a 2015 Mazda CX3 Maxx also. I have noticed a rattle passenger side dash also. If the passenger presses the dash in front of them it stops and I can hear a clicking noise around the vent if I press on it when stationery. I am going to mention to the dealer and see if they can fix. Will let you know the outcome.

#7 ·
I thought my glove box was the culprit but I have heard it again since adding packers so it looks like the majority may well be right - thanks guys! I will investigate tomorrow but taking the dash out will be a last resort as it is a big job. The wiper motor even has to come out under the hood as there are bolts behind it. I think they start on the production line with a dash and then build a car round it! I prefer to have a look myself first though as I don't want some spotty youth at the dealer pulling it apart to that extent. I will report back with my findings if any.

#8 ·
I had the same squeak/binding noise. I put a bit of 3-In-One oil in the space between the dash pad and dashboard--from the right AC vent to the middle vent. I also put some in the crack between the black plastic bezel around the right AC vet and also where the dash pad rubs against the vent housing. It fixed the squeak immediately and it hasn't come back. A bit of oil in the seam between the armrest support and the console fixes that squeak, too. Just be sure to clean off any excess oil.

#9 ·
Good work Detective. I will keep that in mind when I have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

#10 ·
Thanks Hiroki....do you think you could possibly upload pictures showing where you applied the oil? I'm not exactly sure which area you mean when you refer to the dash pad. Also, how long has it been since you applied the oil?

#11 ·
My cx-3 goes in for a new cowl over the instrument cluster under warranty tomorrow as the covering is starting to lift, it worries me how many creaks and rattles it will have afterwards, I have warned them it will be back every time I hear a noise if they don't do it right

#12 ·
Dashboard squeak

That soft trim pad on the front of the dashboard--on the passenger side. I applied the oil in the seam where it touches the harder dash material (there and around the AC vent bezel). It didn't take much--and be sure to clean off any excess oil. It's been almost two months now and the sound hasn't returned. Hope that helps, Postal.

#15 ·
Squeak, Rattle, and Resolved (I hope)

Today, after 500km, my new CX3 developed a very bad squeak after every bump. It seemed to come from the right hand (passenger) side of the dash board. I remembered that someone (perhaps anchorman) had the same problem and applied some foam between the dash and the body. I found a separation of about 2cm underneath the dash between it and the side of the body, and stuck a sponge in it. The squeak and rattle went away. Still, I am a bit deceived with Mazda. Otherwise, the CX3 is great, so far.

#16 ·
No it wasn't me but so we have a record, can you post up a photo or send it to me and I'll post it.

Good work detective.

#19 ·
Ok thank you. I have a ticking or creaking over there so will investigate that movement too.

Don't apologise for the state of your car. These are working vehicles in most cases and having them in a constant showroom condition is virtually impossible at this time of year. Mine looks like a little quarry dump truck at the moment. The car is like some sort of Hippo and seems to cover itself in dirt at the first sign of a wet road. Black carpets seem to amplify the presence of dirt so it's a hopeless situation between spruce ups.

#21 ·
So I think this problem is common after all. I've read the earlier posts of removing the glovebox. I did the same to pin point where the annoying sound is coming and have tracked that it is coming from the passenger's A/C vent. Whenever I apply pressure on it, the rattle sound disappears. Now I don't know how to put remedy on this.

#23 ·
If you want to be really adventurous/lowkey budget trim some of that pipe insulation foam. It can be cut and compressed into anything and is temperature resistant. It sounds silly but I had the idea to use it behind my water hydronic baseboard heat in my new house and it stopped all rubbing noises of the metal fins on the back plate. Unrelated but yea same usage. It is ridiculously cheap around here but not sure how that is overseas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.