LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Mobile phone solution.

I had trouble finding somewhere to put it and leaving it lay around with the wire trailing wasnít really satisfactory so I took the console out and ran the wire underneath. I terminated it through a 12mm hole in the forward cup holder which allows the wire to drop down out of the way. You can also see the screen so if a message or mail pops up you can decide whether you want to stop and deal with it (I do not condone handling the phone in any way, shape or form on the move unless it is via the hands free system). This is how it looks with the phone installed;

This is how it looks at the front of the console;

The plug in the accessory socket is for a dash cam which has also been run under the trim to the windscreen;

Iíve got plenty of photos of the process if anyone wants to see them.
riosx2013 and BaystateBlue like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post

Iíve got plenty of photos of the process if anyone wants to see them.
How difficult was it to remove the console?
post #3 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 AM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I'm going to use Brodit ProClip mounting bracket and some universal holder.
ProClip*855114*|*Brodit

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD

post #4 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The brodit solution is nice as it holds the phone high up. I would still want to route the wire up the back of the dash and bring it out near the holder. It just pulls off as shown here;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 07.32.17.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1241  

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #5 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone1410 View Post
How difficult was it to remove the console?
Quite easy. Start at the back by getting your finger nails (or an old credit card if no nails!) and pull it upwards to detach it.

Next, hook the little filler panel under the hand brake with your finger and pull it up;

Now you need those finger nails or credit card to carefully and gradually ease that fancy bezel off around the bottom of the gear stick;

Now you can just get your hand under the back of the console and pull it up the maneouvre the console up over the handbrake lever. There is one little plug on the audio commander to take it off altogether;

Your not quite finished yet. To thread the wire down the front of the console, you will need that little rubber lined shelf off right under the USB ports so next, pull the bottom of the gear surround gently up to detach it. Getting the gear knob off to remove the gaiter is fiddly so just leave it on and lift it out of the way when required;

Next, those padded panels need to come out. Get hold of them and pull firmly towards the bottom of the car. If you look carefully, there is a little lug that locates it at the bottom which is important when putting it back (see the thumbnail at the end of the post);

Finally, you can get at the little shelf. You need this off to utilise the cup holder or for the Brodit solution if you want to thread the wire behind the dash. The easiest way of showing this is to show you the clips that hold it in. In this photo, the back is at the bottom. You need to pull it up at the back, nearest to you then back towards the back of the car to release it.

Remove the little rubber pad from the cup holder as this can be used later to cover the hole. I marked where the lightning connector would come through and drilled a 12mm hole (you may need to modify this for a different phone. I stuck a piece of foam loosely with masking tape under the cup holder just to stop the wire falling through;

And this is how I routed the wire to stop it fouling the handbrake;

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 08.17.47.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1257  
Redbeast and modaddie like this.

post #6 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Anchorman
post #7 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Anchorman,

Nice job! Do you have the same step by step for the dashcam power feed? I'd be interested in that very much.

How long of a cable did you need for both setup?

Thank you!!

- B
post #8 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Very nice!
Question: Does it get hot in there where the cable goes? I ask because in my 2006 Civic, I can put something on the center console where the cupholders go and in the winter I will run the heat...and things get hot. I would hate to have a wire/cable in there if it were to get really not. It may not, however.

Also, do you use the little open area at the front of the amrest to store your phone? I think that is what it is there for...designed for.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie5754 View Post
Anchorman,

Nice job! Do you have the same step by step for the dashcam power feed? I'd be interested in that very much.

How long of a cable did you need for both setup?

Thank you!!

- B
The 0805 camera comes with a 3m (10ft) lead which is more than long enough and the phone lead is a standard supplied lightning connector. I photographed the dashcam install and will write it up as soon as I get chance.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavenfish View Post
Very nice!
Question: Does it get hot in there where the cable goes? I ask because in my 2006 Civic, I can put something on the center console where the cupholders go and in the winter I will run the heat...and things get hot. I would hate to have a wire/cable in there if it were to get really not. It may not, however.

Also, do you use the little open area at the front of the amrest to store your phone? I think that is what it is there for...designed for.
Well, all I can say is there are other wires in there and various ECUs that seem to survive OK. I've never noticed it warm on the outside where the cup holders are. The CX3 has some super duper catalytic converters that get really hot under the floor. Maybe that percolates through to the interior when stationary?

That shallow arm rest is perculiar to the U.S. as the UK version comes with none. I purchased the deep accessory version which I haven't decided whether to fit yet. I think they are both tacky horrible things and given I would have to drill the console, I am still deliberating that one. Maybe Anchorwoman will pull rank at some stage ;-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode