LCD Screen went dark - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
LCD Screen went dark

So last week the LCD screen for the infotrainment & Navigation system went dark. I can barely make out the icons on the home screen, but for practical purposes it's dead. I have the card for the navigation system which I really like. I bought my 2016 as a one owner used car in Sept. 2017. From the Carfax report it was bought in Dec. 2015, so it's out of warranty.

I figure a dealer will charge me an arm and a leg to replace. I'm not much of a mechanic but it doesn't look that hard to remove, and I found pics here on a post about removing the screen that looks like you remove the panel in front and then two bolts, and I assume it just seats in connectors. But finding a replacement screen? I use Rock Auto and they don't seem to carry it, and a Google search didn't find much, a used on eBay, pass.

Any suggestions?

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
When mine did this, the dealer had to replace the CMU (screen/computer assembly).

I don't know where to get the parts but you're correct that removing it isn't hugely difficult, just time consuming. You have to get to some of the fasteners from underneath by removing the glove box. There's a panel in front and behind the screen that need to be removed.

PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY INSTRUCTION ABOUT USING TAPE TO PROTECT THE TRIM. I DIDN'T AND NOW I HAVE TO LOOK AT SCRATCHES IN THE PLASTIC EVERY TIME I LOOK AT THE SCREEN.

The part number for the "display unit" is D09H-61-1J0B. The best price I've found googling the part number is around $900. The model is fairly new but there may be enough wrecked cars to find it at a pick'n'pull junk yard using Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or through LKQ.

2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!)
2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the helpful, informative reply.

Yikes! $900 just for the screen!!! I may stop by the Tucson Mazda dealer and plead my case for defective item replacement, a $900 screen shouldn't go bad just after 3 years. But, not optimistic. A pick'n'pull junk yard may be a good alternative. Thanks again.

EDIT: Found a parts diagram of all the parts in the infotainment/navigation system, part 7 being just the screen. Looks like just 3 bolts fastening it down:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5311350.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	22157  

20k miles as of Oct.2017

Last edited by DaveInAZ; 05-14-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add pic

post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Garage
I don't think you can actually get the screen as a separate part. The module it connects to (KA0G-66-9C0G, called an "amplifier" but I'm pretty sure it's the CMU itself) is listed as "discontinued" everywhere. Based on that and the $900 price tag for the screen, I'd bet the screen and CMU are a treated as a single unit.

https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/v...igation-system

-Tim Minchin.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Well that would make sense, as $900 just for a 7" LCD screen is crazy, even for a limited production one specifically for the CX-3. But 7" LCD screens are probably produced in the millions, it's just the connectors that would be unique for the CX-3, all a LCD panel does is process the data input and make the appropriate display. And I think a pretty poor design to have to replace the CMU + screen just if the screen goes bad, it's not that uncommon for LCD screens to go bad.
I'll call the Tucson Mazda dealer and see what they say.

EDIT: I called the Tucson Mazda dealer. The parts dept. quoted me $1300 just for the part, and claims it's just the screen. The service dept. quoted me 1 hour for the service, so that also sounds like replacing just the screen. I told the parts guy I bought a Sony 65" 4k TV for only $1100 last year, maybe I'll just put that in the car instead, just might be a bit hard to see around it.

20k miles as of Oct.2017

Last edited by DaveInAZ; 05-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

I got around to checking the used parts you suggested in your first reply. LKQ found 2, one in Topeka KS for $576, one in CA for $638. I guess they know how much new one cost. But LKQ has "add to cart" button, so they must be re-selling it from them & adding their mark-up. I figured there can't be that many car salvage places in Topeka and googled & found 3, will call them directly tomorrow.
Car-part.com found one in TX but I have call them directly for price & availability and it's after 5pm there, will try tomorrow.

I'm tempted to try the old tried & true fix, bang on it, lol. Well, I bought my property in fall 2005 and the next summer the AC kept tripping the circuit breaker every time it came on. HVAC guy told me the compressor was frozen, quoted me $1200 for new one, I told him I'd think about it, I have a window swamp/evaporative cooler that keeps the house cool in dry weather. I figured 'what do I have to lose' and took the top off the AC unit and wailed on the compressor with a small sledge hammer - it's worked perfectly ever since.

20k miles as of Oct.2017

Last edited by DaveInAZ; 05-14-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Doesn't hurt to try if it's already broken.

The CMU in the CX-3 should be electronically and mechanically the same in all Mazdas equipped with MazdaConnect. The software may be different.

Now that I've said that, modern car manufacturers have a habit of making identical modules not easily to swap. For instance, my 2005 RX-8 can't accept an identical ECU from an identical RX-8 because the CANBUS modules are all coded specifically to each other. It requires a trip to the dealer to reprogram the modules to make it work.

So, keep in mind that you may have to do a software update or take it to a dealer to reprogram the replacement unit so that it will work with your specific CX-3.

-Tim Minchin.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, I decided not to rush things and hold off buying a new display unit, it's not like I can't drive the car, and I'll try playing around with things. Yesterday I parked the car facing east with the later afternoon sun shining in and I could see the menu a bit better and went into some menu settings and everything seem fine. That makes me think the CMU is fine. And as I thought about I've never had a display unit just go dim, they either work or die and go completely black.

I downloaded a couple other manuals from MyMazda, the "Smart Start Guide' was especially helpful showing many of the Settings Menu. I see there is an "auto dim" setting that dims the LCD display and the instrument panel, it's supposed to only dim when the headlights are on, and I wouldn't have set that on and the headlights have been off, but something to play around with. According to the Smart Start Guide there's a dimmer knob on the instrument cluster to adjust the brightness if too dim.

And I have my LG G5 android phone paired with CX-3 via Bluetooth and my phone was buggy last week that an update fixed, a long shot but it might have messed with the Mazda Connect settings. If all else fails I might take the LCD panel out and take to an electronics shop to check.

20k miles as of Oct.2017
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I'd try adjusting the instrument lighting knob. Soon after I bought my car I thought my infotainment screen had gone bust when entering an underpass. The auto headlights came on as expected but I wasn't expecting the infotainment screen to go really dim, almost blank. See the extract from the manual below.The adjustment isn't very gradual - it seems to be either fully lit or quite dim despite the knob turning a reasonable amount.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mazda CX-3 Instrument panel lighting adjustment.pdf (26.7 KB, 6 views)

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'll be darned, that was all it was. I started the car, turned the headlights on, and turned that instrument panel lighting adjustment knob all the way clockwise and I could see the LCD screen clearly again. Now that I could see the screen I went into settings and found the display had been set to "night" and that lighting adjustment knob was apparently set down to lowest lighting.

I didn't do it! I haven't been into settings for several months and I first noticed the very dim screen Monday. And I rarely drive at night so I would never set it that way. I live alone so no one else got into the settings. All I can think of is that my android phone is paired via Bluetooth and my phone was buggy last week, any app associated with Google would immediately crash, even my TV guide app would crash. It healed itself over the weekend, I guess thru a Google update. Sounds farfetched, but either that or my CX-3 software has a mind of its own.

Well, all's well that ends well, now I don't have to pay more for a 7" LCD screen than I paid for my 65" 4k TV.

20k miles as of Oct.2017

Tags
infotrainment , lcd screen , navigation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode