• 1 Post By skyking
  • 2 Post By Vipre77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Creaking center armrest

The squeaking in my 2017 armrest, seems to be the hinge, is quite squeaky. Anyone tackled this? I saw a post here from 2015 and someone had an idea about felt pads but I couldn’t really visualize how this person did it based on this old post, and it was 3 years ago. Wondering if there are any other ideas on how to fix the creaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Dealer replaced the armrest in my cx-3 due to this squeakiness. The new one is holding up much better.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
What I did was place a properly-sized travel mug in the forward cupholder which nicely supports the armrest in the correct horizontal position. No annoying squeaks, and the armrest itself feels nice and firm.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just removed mine, took care of the squeaking!!
anchorman likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I had my whole car smashed by a big RV/bus and replaced the whole thing with a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring. No more armrest squeaks!

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2018, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I had my whole car smashed by a big RV/bus and replaced the whole thing with a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring. No more armrest squeaks!
. . . . . and that's another way of eliminating the squeaking. Seriously, glad you're okay (plus you add a turbo in the deal).
Vipre77 likes this.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2018, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
. . . . . and that's another way of eliminating the squeaking. Seriously, glad you're okay (plus you add a turbo in the deal).
It's super effective!

The CX-3 did it's job in keeping my daughter and I safe. The entire front end, hood, left side, rear bumper cover and front right fender were all toast. There wasn't too much left that was still straight. Driver side window busted out. All the doors still opened and closed. None of the airbags deployed despite the front end collision with the light pole in the median after the car slid off the front end of the bus. We walked away with the only marks on us being from some of the shards of glass that went down my shirt and left a small nick on my chest.

My CX-3 had a really squeaky armrest. The dealer swapped it out with another from another unsold car that was on the lot. The new one was a lot better in terms of squeaks, but still had some still going on. The little clip inside the phone pocket in the armrest was completely different than the original armrest I had despite both of the cars coming in on the same shipment and presumably from the same build run. I ended up having to replace the felt strip on this clip with a piece of industrial strength Velcro tape (the softer, loop side, not the hook side). And I had to take a heat gun to the clip itself and bend it a little bit because it was clipping my phone MUCH tighter than the original armrest did and it even broke my Otterbox case on my iphone. Was sooo much better after bending the clip a bit. To help with the remaining squeaks, I had some bicycle chain lube around that I tried and it worked pretty well, but use sparingly! Most of the noise is just the sides of the armrest rubbing on the sides at the hinge. I thought maybe it was that little teardrop shaped foam piece on the underside of the armrest, but that didn't do anything to fix the noise when I removed it. I read a suggestion somewhere to get a thin piece of felt and cut it into two washer shaped pieces and put them between the rubbing plastics in the joint. That seems like it would be the best solution. That joint is fairly tight so you'd need to use some fairly thin felt material to fit it without causing assembly problems.
SlyCoopers and Stokers Rule like this.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode