• 1 Post By DJ9999

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
More "carbon fiber" interior trim

Greetings all,

So as you may have seen in a prior topic, I purchased a bunch of random cheap glossy carbon fiber trim pieces on ebay and was liking the look and fit of them until the shifter trim panel. It is atrocious and a poor fit and in my case will not fit my current set because due to the sport mode button (which I never use anyway so I didnt mind it being covered in the end) the black plastic trim piece had a different mold than the one the ebay attachment was modeled over (maybe a base model?).

In addition, for somereason the shifter lettering component was recessed even lower than the rest of the entire trim piece which lifted the carbon fiber piece even higher essentially making it useless. So instead of returning it like a logic person would I debated removing the shifter lettering panel to try to see if the clear plastic portion of it could be moved on top of the trim piece thus making the recessed portion not an issue. Nope. After finding out the surrounding black plastic piece was a different incline I ended up trying random things and came up with this idea. With a rotary dremel, destroy and level the area with the shifter lettering on the carbon fiber trim piece and see how it would work without the black plastic trim.

These are the results.

Thankfully everything fit perfectly with the new strip of double sided 3m tape, there is no visible gaps anywhere and there is a flush surface mount for my first time dremel-ing attempt. Complements other pieces together pretty well but will see how well it holds up in the future.

*Yes the sport mode button is covered here but I did not buy this car to drag race anyone and have not actually found an efficient use for it that couldnt be temporarily replaced by usage of the paddle shifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_163521_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	21170   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_164019_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	21178   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_163946_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	21186   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_164036_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	21194   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_162938_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	21202  

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

image limit reached prior*

Unfortunatly I dont have a before picture or a picture of the previous attempt at installation because I didnt expect this to actually turn out so flush to the surface without any damage, cracks, or visible gaps but you can get an idea of the before picture by looking up the original piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180515_162956_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	21210  

post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
image limit reached prior*

Unfortunatly I dont have a before picture or a picture of the previous attempt at installation because I didnt expect this to actually turn out so flush to the surface without any damage, cracks, or visible gaps but you can get an idea of the before picture by looking up the original piece.
Oh nice! But what did you do about the Sport Mode button....or did I miss something? Lol

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Looks really sharp!!
SlyCoopers likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaG View Post
Oh nice! But what did you do about the Sport Mode button....or did I miss something? Lol
Its just covered by the new panel. I used a grinding stone attachment to hollow out the overlay piece around that area to ensure its not rubbing or unintentionally initiating sport mode whenever the car is turned on. I never used it besides maybe once or twice to see how I felt about it and didnt really serve a purpose in my case. Then again idk how I feel about this trim piece in the first place so might end up taking it off and putting original black piece back on in a few months haha.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
To my taste there are too many colors and textures in the stock cockpit. You certainly did a neat, professional job ... it looks good!

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Its just covered by the new panel. I used a grinding stone attachment to hollow out the overlay piece around that area to ensure its not rubbing or unintentionally initiating sport mode whenever the car is turned on. I never used it besides maybe once or twice to see how I felt about it and didnt really serve a purpose in my case. Then again idk how I feel about this trim piece in the first place so might end up taking it off and putting original black piece back on in a few months haha.
Ah that makes sense. Yes I'm the same with the Sport Mode. I find it holds the gear a little too long, especially 4th.
Prefer just paddle shifting if there's an urge to go "Sport" lol.
Good job though, very tidy.

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode