• 4 Post By Geezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Getting Rid of Door Rattle with Bose Audio

I've been following the Squeaks and rattles solutions thread and it seems others are noticing the front door rattling around the door handle at higher volumes with the upgraded Bose system. This rattling has been bothering me since day one because I usually listen to my music at around 30 volume with treble set to 5 and bass set to 4/5 depending on the genre. I recently went on a quest to quell this noise, and I believe I have been able to get rid of most of it. Mods, if you believe this post belongs in the aforementioned thread, I'd be happy to move it. I just figured this DIY was specific enough to deserve its own thread.

First, I want to mention that this DIY involves three separate fixes at the same location. I don't know which of the three are actually working, but I'm documenting everything I did anyway since overall they've worked for me.

You'll need the following materials: a Phillips screwdriver, two rubber grommets (one for each door), and some soft cloth you can cut/tear apart (not pictured; the more spongy, the better). I don't quite remember the size of the grommet I used, but I always have an assortment of them handy since they're fairly inexpensive on Amazon and you never know when you'll need one.

Open the door and pull the door handle back to reveal the hole for the backplate. This hole is large enough to stick a finger in to pull it out. Gently pull it back towards you and somewhat towards the front of the car. IIRC, it's being held by five tabs, three around the center and two at both ends.

Removing the backplate will reveal a screw and what looks like a hook that does... something? Not sure what that's there for. Anyway, remove the screw and use the rubber grommet as a washer for it. Then roll up a small piece of cloth and slide it into the hook. The hook is loose enough to gently pull back for this, which is why I thought it could be the source of some rattles.

Finally, cut/tear some cloth to fit behind the backplate before reinserting it. Note how I've kept it clear from all the central tabs. This part took me a while to get right. I had to find a good thickness since when I reinserted the backplate it sometimes felt a bit loosely or tightly packed. You want a tight packing but not enough for the cloth to pop the tabs out.

Now crank the bass up to 6 for science and test your music. I've noticed the rattling reduced significantly, but was not entirely eliminated. Some rattling still comes through at 30-35 volume with bass set to 6. The fix did well enough for me to not notice rattling while driving with my normal settings though, which is most important. Hope this helps others out there!
bjn and Levi3xt like this.

2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring with Tech Package (Deep Crystal Blue)

Last edited by Kevincredible; 12-23-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Very nicely put together Kevin. I'll pin this in the tech section later unless DJ gets chance first.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 7 Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks anchorman! I'm also curious to see how well this works for others and if the type of cloth I used, which is a thick tearable padding cloth, produces different results than others. I'm hoping people can chime in and contribute their fixes as well.

2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring with Tech Package (Deep Crystal Blue)

post #4 of 7 Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I have come to the conclusion that the best way to take care of rattles and squeaks is to lose your sense of hearing like I have. I can't hear anything above about 500 Hz, so if I turn the volume up full, all I hear is BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! no rattles or squeaks. This also takes care of chatty passengers and most traffic noise (even high pitched car horns). But really, I would never actually wish hearing deficiency on anyone...

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Actually I ran into this problem recently as well. I took it to the dealership once and they didn't solve the problem. So I went home and identified the exact part (lots of loud music) that was rattling and they opened the door up again and fixed it. Ultimately the issue (and the dealership confirmed this) was that the black scratch plate behind the door handle (the one your fingernails would scrape against when grabbing the handle and that KevinCredible fixed above) was actually installed incorrectly and wasn't tightened fully...so while foam may solve the issue, they recommended that you bring it to the dealership to be properly installed.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good insights, raven! Glad to know I was on the right track. Is there anything else I can tell the dealer if I decide to ask about it on the next service appointment?

I feel like I have to be super specific with the service department sometimes. They've tried before, but whatever they tried didn't help and resulted in some tiny scratches on the door panel.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Not noticed any rattles etc, but then again I do have it on rather loud

Still.................mustn't grumble

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode