User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Is it possible to swap just the top part of the armrests?

Hi all, just bought my 2017 Soul Red CX-3 this Sunday (10/1) and am loving it to pieces! Coming from a minivan (2003 Mazda MPV) I am having soooo much fun driving the CX-3! Also coming from a minivan, though, I notice that I'm really beginning to miss my little storage nooks and cubbies -- I have that dinky little US armrest without console storage. I've read the various Armrest topics here and found the installation thread very interesting (thanks Anchorman!) but don't like the idea of drilling holes in my nice, new baby... nor do I like the little rubber bumpers that are left afterwards, to be honest. I did a little research and found that you can remove the pivot bolt on the US armrest and remove the top half of the armrest (C & D below) while leaving the base (B below) attached to the car.

So my question for those of you with the console-storage version of the armrest is this: is the pivot bolt on your version of the armrest removable and, if so, does it look like the screws might line up so that I can fit the top portion of the armrest with the storage compartments onto the base of the US armrest? (Okay, so technically that was two questions, but give me a break... I'm new here! lol) Anybody willing to take theirs apart to appease the curiosity of a newbie?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Armrest.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	12401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry I can't help you with that as I also have the US version armrest, but just wanted to welcome you. And congrats on your new CX-3

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, greaseman! LOVE my new car. First new car I've ever bought (previous cars have all had 50,000+ miles when bought).

You might recognize that picture... it came from your seven-month-old thread on removing the US armrest. So I take it from your "I also have the US version armrest" that you ended up just sticking with the default? I'm toying with the idea of buying one of the console storage armrests in the hopes that what I want to do above is possible, but they don't come cheap so thought I'd see if anyone here (hint hint Anchorman) could help out first. If I do decide to go for it, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum also.

Since our little island decided to detach itself from Europe, exchange rates have tumbled considerably in your favour so I'll get a price on that decent euro armrest later. I'm quite happy to price posting it to you or you can wait until June or July and I'll fetch it across the water and post it when I get there (I'm waiting for confirmation of my leave date).

The euro cars come with a little trinket box where your armrest clips in and looking at that diagram I see it just clips in - no wonder it creaks, it's a nasty thing. The euro kit as you've probably seen comes with a really strong bracket that bolts to the floor and when fitted it makes the back of the console solid. If you get hold of yours you will find it rocks about easily- the euro one does not. In answer to your question, I think you'd be extremely lucky if the top would swap and in any case, it is heavy and would probably make it unstable. However, if I could encourage you to have a go at fitting the entire euro kit, it makes an extremely strong setup. When joy lift the armrest, it is stiff but again no hint of it creaking or detaching and that stiffness gives it a quality feel. You can load it with whatever you can fit and it won't change the feel - it is really well made. As for drilling the console, I understand your apprehension but it's very easy to do and the bolts are completely disguised with black caps on the side and and really nice flat headed black satin screws at the side to miss the seats. When you sell the car, leave it in, it will be a plus point. It's a pity you are not in Florida or I'd fit it for you. It takes about half an hour.

It's up to you but if you really fancy that posh armrest, I'd fit the lot. If you are not DIY inclined, get a friend or a local garage to do it.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Someone wants to sell me their "trinkets tray" ... the part they took out of the base, in order to fit their armrest

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Yep I've kind of given up on the idea of removing it or replacing it for some reason. I think I'm just too lazy to go through with it. I've already gone through a year with it, so I guess it hasn't bothered me as much as I complain about it lol.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #7 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm sure I must have my trinket tray if anyone wants it. I left the armrest in when I swapped to the CX-5.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #8 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Anchorman, thanks for the reply, the welcome, and the offer to price out the console for me! I was able to find one online for about $200 USD shipped so unless they happen to be a lot cheaper over in your neck of the world, I appreciate the offer but don't think I'll need to bother you.

As for the stability of the two armrests, I'm afraid the picture I posted earlier may have misled you. It was only a partial screengrab showing the hinge part that I was talking about, but below that it actually showed a big triangular solid steel bracket that mounts to the chassis. I'll post a full pic below. The US armrest may not have a lot of storage space, but this thing is definitely sturdy! Because of the angled bracer bar, I'd say it even looks more sturdy than that metal bracket in the euro design, though I'm no engineer so I could definitely be wrong.

I know it's not likely that the two tops are interchangeable but I figured if someone had one they could pop the pivot pin out of and take a look I could know for sure. Sorry to call you out; at the time of my post I didn't realize that you had swapped your CX-3 for the CX-5. As an aside, I was torn between the CX-5 and the Honda HR-V; the CX-3 wasn't even on my radar! I was actually leaning towards the HR-V but was unimpressed by the test drive. I then went to the Mazda dealer to check out the CX-5 and coming from an MPV it felt very spacious and familiar (both things I thought I wanted!) but then the associate showed me the CX-3 and once I sat in it, I was sold. If felt so cozy and my youngest daughter also fell in love with it immediately as she said she felt like she was part of the family again instead of being lost in the back of the van! I still love the styling of the CX-5, too, but am very pleased with my decision so far. Plus, that extra 10" reduction in overall length from the CX-5 is awesome for a place with very limited parking like San Francisco (and it's almost 20" shorter than my MPV!)

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's the full picture of the US armrest diagram:
anchorman likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
I'm sure I must have my trinket tray if anyone wants it. I left the armrest in when I swapped to the CX-5.
Meeeee! I want it ... "your check's in the mail!"
I'll PM you

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Meeeee! I want it ... "your check's in the mail!"
I'll PM you
Reserved by you! Let me find it and find out about postage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode