User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Brake Fluid changes?

I notice that in Mexico you are to change the brake fluid every 24 months, but in the US you never change it. My CX9 says the same thing?

Why is that? Presumably the brake fluid and brakes are the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 PM
gus

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I notice that in Mexico you are to change the brake fluid every 24 months, but in the US you never change it. My CX9 says the same thing?

Why is that? Presumably the brake fluid and brakes are the same.
Same here every two years, I guess they reckon you don't use the brakes?

CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Our brakes operate on magic
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I called Mazda. They say the manual is correct; American brake fluid never has to be changed. I should watch the level, and if it gets low I should take it to a dealer for service.

I'd love to know why Mexican and British brake fluid has to be changed; but probably never will.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
That's true - stop signs are really just suggestions around here
post #6 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I called Mazda. They say the manual is correct; American brake fluid never has to be changed. I should watch the level, and if it gets low I should take it to a dealer for service.

I'd love to know why Mexican and British brake fluid has to be changed; but probably never will.
It usually does, especially on newer vehicles. Most dealers remind customers every second service and it usually adds another $90 or so to a service.

I wouldn't dream of not changing it as it absorbs moisture. It used to be seen that there was the main problem as the moisture could boil and leave air in the system. For me the most important thing is protecting that ABS pump which would be monumentally expensive if it gets corrosion inside the extremely fine working parts. Sorry folks, but mine and the two little Toyotas that my daughters run gets done every two years without fail.

Now on a CX-3, the process according to the manual is a proper pita that calls for the rear calipers to be removed and completely de adjusted. I'm not sure I would go to that trouble as long as I could get a decent pedal.
Sarah likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #7 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
It usually does, especially on newer vehicles. Most dealers remind customers every second service and it usually adds another $90 or so to a service.

I wouldn't dream of not changing it as it absorbs moisture. It used to be seen that there was the main problem as the moisture could boil and leave air in the system. For me the most important thing is protecting that ABS pump which would be monumentally expensive if it gets corrosion inside the extremely fine working parts. Sorry folks, but mine and the two little Toyotas that my daughters run gets done every two years without fail.

Now on a CX-3, the process according to the manual is a proper pita that calls for the rear calipers to be removed and completely de adjusted. I'm not sure I would go to that trouble as long as I could get a decent pedal.
Are you saying you would on the Toyotas because it is only $90 and worth it, but on the CX3 it is much more expensive and not justified?

Do you happen to know about Subaru Imprezas or CX9s? I never did my Impreza and it is way overdue.

Appreciate your help.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
No, I am saying that I will change mine on any vehicle regardless of how difficult it is. To be frank, I can't see the need for de adjusting the brakes, I presume it just creates a bigger void in the calipers piston.

What I have read in this thread about you guys not changing the fluid - ever, simply astonishes me. There is no way I wouldn't do it given my 17 years testing and developing brakes (hence the name). The brake manufacturers would be appalled by the very thought.

I really would recommend that you guys change your opinion and get it done. You seem to over change engine oil but neglect your brakes. I don't get it.
Snoogie and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with anchorman there. No fluid, and I don't care what manufacture says, no fluid last forever. Oil deteriorates, brake fluids become contaminated, and transmission/diff fluids will break down. Its simply a matter of time. We are told that especially our automatic transmissions that they are sealed forever which I call BS. I honestly believe that manufactures state this "sealed for good" fluids is because they are expecting customers to buy a new vehicle before any of these fluids need to be changed. I myself won't skimp out and will perform normal maintenance such as brake flushes and such when the appropriate time comes. Or if it looks like crud. When you cheapen out on the minor maintenance it will end up costing you thousands down the road. Good example is almost every Mazda 5 owner refuses to perform recommended services like regular fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. and end up destroying their cars while scratching their heads. Please people you wouldn't cheapen out on the health of yourself or others so the same should apply to your vehicle, I mean you did spend $20k+ for it.
DJ9999, Sarah and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
^^Totally agree with Snoogie's post. Couldn't have said it better.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode