Brake Fluid changes? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Brake Fluid changes?

I notice that in Mexico you are to change the brake fluid every 24 months, but in the US you never change it. My CX9 says the same thing?

Why is that? Presumably the brake fluid and brakes are the same.
Toller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 PM
gus
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I notice that in Mexico you are to change the brake fluid every 24 months, but in the US you never change it. My CX9 says the same thing?

Why is that? Presumably the brake fluid and brakes are the same.
Same here every two years, I guess they reckon you don't use the brakes?

CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gus is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
 
greaseman85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Same here every two years, I guess they reckon you don't use the brakes?
Our brakes operate on magic
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
greaseman85 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I called Mazda. They say the manual is correct; American brake fluid never has to be changed. I should watch the level, and if it gets low I should take it to a dealer for service.

I'd love to know why Mexican and British brake fluid has to be changed; but probably never will.
Toller is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Same here every two years, I guess they reckon you don't use the brakes?
That's true - stop signs are really just suggestions around here
TallGuyNW is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I called Mazda. They say the manual is correct; American brake fluid never has to be changed. I should watch the level, and if it gets low I should take it to a dealer for service.

I'd love to know why Mexican and British brake fluid has to be changed; but probably never will.
It usually does, especially on newer vehicles. Most dealers remind customers every second service and it usually adds another $90 or so to a service.

I wouldn't dream of not changing it as it absorbs moisture. It used to be seen that there was the main problem as the moisture could boil and leave air in the system. For me the most important thing is protecting that ABS pump which would be monumentally expensive if it gets corrosion inside the extremely fine working parts. Sorry folks, but mine and the two little Toyotas that my daughters run gets done every two years without fail.

Now on a CX-3, the process according to the manual is a proper pita that calls for the rear calipers to be removed and completely de adjusted. I'm not sure I would go to that trouble as long as I could get a decent pedal.
Sarah likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
It usually does, especially on newer vehicles. Most dealers remind customers every second service and it usually adds another $90 or so to a service.

I wouldn't dream of not changing it as it absorbs moisture. It used to be seen that there was the main problem as the moisture could boil and leave air in the system. For me the most important thing is protecting that ABS pump which would be monumentally expensive if it gets corrosion inside the extremely fine working parts. Sorry folks, but mine and the two little Toyotas that my daughters run gets done every two years without fail.

Now on a CX-3, the process according to the manual is a proper pita that calls for the rear calipers to be removed and completely de adjusted. I'm not sure I would go to that trouble as long as I could get a decent pedal.
Are you saying you would on the Toyotas because it is only $90 and worth it, but on the CX3 it is much more expensive and not justified?

Do you happen to know about Subaru Imprezas or CX9s? I never did my Impreza and it is way overdue.

Appreciate your help.
Toller is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
No, I am saying that I will change mine on any vehicle regardless of how difficult it is. To be frank, I can't see the need for de adjusting the brakes, I presume it just creates a bigger void in the calipers piston.

What I have read in this thread about you guys not changing the fluid - ever, simply astonishes me. There is no way I wouldn't do it given my 17 years testing and developing brakes (hence the name). The brake manufacturers would be appalled by the very thought.

I really would recommend that you guys change your opinion and get it done. You seem to over change engine oil but neglect your brakes. I don't get it.
Snoogie and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Snoogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin, Madison
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with anchorman there. No fluid, and I don't care what manufacture says, no fluid last forever. Oil deteriorates, brake fluids become contaminated, and transmission/diff fluids will break down. Its simply a matter of time. We are told that especially our automatic transmissions that they are sealed forever which I call BS. I honestly believe that manufactures state this "sealed for good" fluids is because they are expecting customers to buy a new vehicle before any of these fluids need to be changed. I myself won't skimp out and will perform normal maintenance such as brake flushes and such when the appropriate time comes. Or if it looks like crud. When you cheapen out on the minor maintenance it will end up costing you thousands down the road. Good example is almost every Mazda 5 owner refuses to perform recommended services like regular fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. and end up destroying their cars while scratching their heads. Please people you wouldn't cheapen out on the health of yourself or others so the same should apply to your vehicle, I mean you did spend $20k+ for it.
DJ9999, Sarah and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Certified Mazda Technician
Snoogie is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
^^Totally agree with Snoogie's post. Couldn't have said it better.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ9999 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome