User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I just bought the navigation chip off e bay

It says it's the latest and did mention the Cx-3.Is there anything I need to do to prepare or update it?
It was $200 so I don't think the price was bad compared to what the dealer wanted.....as long as it works.
I don't know why I said chip when it is a SD card.

Last edited by Playthru; 05-27-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
These chips are VIN specific and are programmed to work for one car and only that car from the supplier (Garmin or Tomtom or w/e we use now). It may or may not work depending on if that is a legitimate card and was never used before (the ebay uncertainty). When it comes to buying these things on ebay its very iffy especially if there is a significant price difference. So bare in mind that if its not a legitimate copy that it may not even work and/or you may not be allowed to update it via the manufacture of the NAV card website. The price is also set by the manufacturer of the cards and are good for 3-4 years. Let us know how this works out and hope for the best. I sure hope you have a way to get a refund if it fails. Also chip, card, same thing. There is a chip in that card so its interchangeable.

Certified Mazda Technician
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I thought the cards were actually not vehicle specific from the factory and that the computer in the car imprints the VIN on the card in some fashion after a certain number of miles driven and it's only after that point that the card cannot be moved to another vehicle. This is the first I've heard of them being coded for a specific vehicle from the factory or by the dealer prior to installation.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I thought the cards were actually not vehicle specific from the factory and that the computer in the car imprints the VIN on the card in some fashion after a certain number of miles driven and it's only after that point that the card cannot be moved to another vehicle. This is the first I've heard of them being coded for a specific vehicle from the factory or by the dealer prior to installation.
From what I read you are right.I would think it would be too much of a hassle to keep track of chips which only can be used with a certain vin number.
I believe you drive it 50 to 100 miles or something like that to have it assigned to your vin number.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I believe that is what Snoogie is saying - the manufacture codes them to work with only one vehicle after installation, not preassigned by VIN - so if its been used already, it shouldn't work in another vehicle because its been written to a VIN at that point.

Have you installed it yet? results?

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
I believe that is what Snoogie is saying - the manufacture codes them to work with only one vehicle after installation, not preassigned by VIN - so if its been used already, it shouldn't work in another vehicle because its been written to a VIN at that point.

Have you installed it yet? results?
No,I haven't received it yet since it was only ordered yesterday.I have done a little research on the web and people have stated there is not a problem with the card..They just installed it and it worked..
Some have made backups that will only work with there cars which might be the smart thing to do.
Yea I think Snoogie was saying the same thing.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playthru View Post
No,I haven't received it yet since it was only ordered yesterday.I have done a little research on the web and people have stated there is not a problem with the card..They just installed it and it worked..
Some have made backups that will only work with there cars which might be the smart thing to do.
Yea I think Snoogie was saying the same thing.
Hope it works for you OK. My question is even if it does work, will you be able to update it via Mazda? Ours is free updates for 3 years from date of purchase which I thought was a nice touch. Most manufactures give only one year.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
Old 05-27-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
Hope it works for you OK. My question is even if it does work, will you be able to update it via Mazda? Ours is free updates for 3 years from date of purchase which I thought was a nice touch. Most manufactures give only one year.
The seller said it comes with three years of free updates from Mazda and it is supposed to be a OEM card the latest one.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playthru View Post
The seller said it comes with three years of free updates from Mazda and it is supposed to be a OEM card the latest one.
EXCELLENT! Keep us posted.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I will wait to see your success with it
How is it installed? It would be nice to get more use out of the big screen.