User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Smart Brake/Lane Departure Warning?

I am planning on buying a CX3 next week. I really need to get blind spot monitoring, so it is the CX3 or the Jeep Renegade. (don't hear good things about the Jeep)

I have never rear ended anyone or driven off the road, but am tempted by the Smart Braking and the Land Departure Warning. It would cost an extra $5,000 (as I don't care at all about the sun roof, LED lights or any of the other stuff that comes with the Grand Touring and iActive package). It is a lot of money, but I figure it would be a bargain if it prevented one accident.

A salesman said the Smart Braking was only useful with cruise control (which I never use) and the Lane departure was annoying and most people turn it off. He recommended I save the money.

I don't want to waste money, but would feel really foolish if I had an accident that could have been prevented.

Any sage advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
$5000 is a lot of money to spend on things that it sounds like you don't want or need.
greaseman85 likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the Touring package. You still get the Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alerts which were the big safety items for me.

Touring model only comes with the smaller 16" wheels as standard, but you can get the bigger 18" wheels installed as a dealer-installed option if you prefer. Not sure if they'd give you credit for deleting the 16" wheels or if you'd have to take the 16's and keep them as spares (maybe use them for a set of snow tires). You're probably better off with aftermarket wheels, though, if you want to upgrade them. The OEM 18's wheels list for $300 each, not including tires, mounting and balancing.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I havent noticed that the Lane departure system is annoying (at least yet), maybe because we have "summer" now over here in sweden. Havent experienced winter yet with the car. But if you have snowy winters where you live, then be prepared that the system wont work so perfectly like they say in the books.

CX-3 Optimum 150 hp 2.0 petrol, automatic and AWD.
Meteor Grey.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
My experience; I don't like the lane departure system so that gets turned off. I do like the blind spot monitoring and although the smart city brake support has never operated on mine, I'm glad it has it. A friend with a Mazda 3 said he definitely would have rear ended somebody without it. The salesmans comment that it is only good for cruise control is daft.
greaseman85 likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I can't say I find the LDW that annoying. I have it set to least intrusive and that works very well.
I love the BSM, it works really well.
I'm also glad I have SCBS and SBS, just in case as anchorman says.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
The lane departure thing is half assed, I wouldn't waste money on it. It makes a fake rumbling sound coming out of your speakers. A real lane departure system either vibrates the seat or the steering wheel to get the driver's attention. A rumbling sound from your speakers will probably not get your attention, especially if you dose off or get distracted.

The Mazda's have two automatic brake systems, one called a smart break system which is good for cruise control and highway speeds, and another called smart city break system which works if you're driving under 18 mph I believe. So the salesman was either not fully informed, or he was only thinking of the first system. Keep in mind these systems will not always prevent an accident, but will minimize the impact of an accident where you rear end someone.
santa likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
The lane departure thing is half assed, I wouldn't waste money on it. It makes a fake rumbling sound coming out of your speakers. A real lane departure system either vibrates the seat or the steering wheel to get the driver's attention. A rumbling sound from your speakers will probably not get your attention, especially if you dose off or get distracted.

The Mazda's have two automatic brake systems, one called a smart break system which is good for cruise control and highway speeds, and another called smart city break system which works if you're driving under 18 mph I believe. So the salesman was either not fully informed, or he was only thinking of the first system. Keep in mind these systems will not always prevent an accident, but will minimize the impact of an accident where you rear end someone.
Totally agree. Although the LDW isn't annoying for me I wouldn't pay extra just for that.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #9 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I don't find LDW annoying.

A) I have it set to the least sensitive setting.
B) I drive inside the lines
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
LDW has selectable tones - rumble or beep. The beep is quite obvious.
LDW has selectable sensitivity - the lower sensitivity works better, as it only warns when the car is about to cross the lane line as opposed to just slightly off center inside a lane.

In a world full of distractions, it's a useful safety feature.

I've had smart brake activate a couple of times. I was in full control both times, but it offered a preview into what the system will do. If I had been a split second late in my reaction, the smart brake would have possibly avoided a collision.

From a safety standpoint, I think they're nice (especially when I'm not the only one driving the car). As for cost, ask your insurance agent if there are discounts if you have those safety features. They may be willing to work with you.

As for the other features....

Adaptive cruise control is good. I wish its throttle and brake control was smoother. It works well on a one lane highway but not so well on a moderate traffic freeway.

BSM is mostly useless on a busy highway. False alarms and missed warnings all the time. It probably works ok for freeways where cars largely conform to the same speed, but that's not the reality where I live. The most annoying thing is that the alarms activate when you have the turn signal on and a car comes up behind you. I have this turned off.

Overall a mixed bag. Now if LDW had automatic steering correction (like on Acuras or others) I would say it's a no-brainer. But as it stands now, this package is just ok.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode