User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-22-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Other CUV you were considering

I was really thinking about the Subaru Crosstrek I know it's not as sporty as the Mazda but I wouldn't mind driving the Crosstrek either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I love Subarus (I came from a WRX and my wife has an Outback, and other family has a Forester), but the Crosstrek was just a bit boring for me. Its a nice car, and I get why others would like it, but ultimately the Mazda sportiness and fun character won out. I actually prefer the Forester to the Crosstrek, but man the seats in the Forester are bad IMHO.

2016 CX-3 GT - CW
post #3 of 17 Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
We also looked at the Fiat 500X, but in the end the CX-3 won, as it's cheaper and better equiped for the price.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
None. This was the only CUV that actually looked good and I considered. I didn't care much for the category before the CX-3 came along.
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #5 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
CX-3 fitted my bill exactly - the looks, sensible sized non turbo petrol engine, proper torque convertor automatic gearbox (no CVT !!!). From my reviews of other makes within my price bracket, only Mazda seemed to do that kind of gearbox. The test drive(s) confirmed my choice.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #6 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I love Subarus but we're al all-CX family now. I considered the Crosstrek, but it seemed to much of a marshmallow car. It's underpowered and wallows around more than I like which makes it feel like driving a bigger car than it really is.

At the time I bought the CX-3, the Jeep Renegades were just starting to hit the market. I didn't really care for the Jeep at the time, but the look has grown on me since and I'd be more receptive to it if I were shopping today. Not sure if I'd go Trailhawk or Sport trim, though. My biggest reservation would be that the car is a rebadged Fiat. I understand it's the same platform as the 500X. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy a Fiat Chrysler product with their notoriously bad reliability/quality reputation. It's too bad, because they are making some really nice looking cars. If I went for a Fiat Chrysler Dodge Jeep type thing, my first choice out their entire lineup would probably actually be an AWD Charger.

I considered CX-5 or a used CX-7 briefly but dismissed them because they were bigger than I wanted and, in the case of the CX-7, I didn't want to have to pay for premium gas for the turbo engine. Premium gas is around $0.70/gallon more expensive here. Sometimes I've seen it as much as $0.90/gal more. It's still cheap in the grand scheme of things, but is a huge mark-up percentage-wise from regular 87 octane and it certainly adds up over time.m

Edit: Forgot that I also considered getting back in a WRX again. New was a little out of my price range with the options I would have wanted. Used prices, if you can find one around here in good shape and relatively low miles, are ridiculous. Not worth paying those prices for a used one when a new one is only a little more. Also, back to the premium gas thing again. Oh and insurance rate was higher, too.

Edit again: I also considered going completely the opposite direction and getting a Ford Flex. Those things got a ton of bells and whistles, tons of room, and you can get them used for a good price. I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't fit in my garage, though. Too long. I'd have to tear out my workbench and I wasn't willing to do that.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Last edited by Vipre77; 05-23-2016 at 04:27 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3cx-3 View Post
CX-3 fitted my bill exactly - the looks, sensible sized non turbo petrol engine, proper torque convertor automatic gearbox (no CVT !!!). From my reviews of other makes within my price bracket, only Mazda seemed to do that kind of gearbox. The test drive(s) confirmed my choice.
No CVT was a big plus for me, also. I wanted something with a manual box. Found a used Mini Clubman S JCW that fit my price and had low miles and a sweet manual gearbox. Premium gas was a bummer, but the sale price was low enough it didn't bother me. My wife vetoed it because she didn't like the odd rear passenger door configuration on the older Clubman. I do really love the new Clubman with proper rear passenger doors and available AWD, but I couldn't wait until January for it come out.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #8 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
...My biggest reservation would be that the car is a rebadged Fiat. I understand it's the same platform as the 500X....
It's not rebadged Fiat.
The Renegade and 500X share the same basic platform and some other stuff, like engines and transmissions.
The Renegade has itÝs own 4x4 system making it a fully capable off-roader but the 500X is more like the CX-3, a road-goer with limited off-road capabilities.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #9 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I was originally looking at the Mercedes GLA or the BMW x1, which I had a 2013 x1 lease prior to my CX3. When the CX3 was introduced, I said Id go the economical route and looked at the CX3 and nothing else.

I only drive around 5k miles per year, so the GLA and x1 seemed like a waste of money. I purchased the CX3 and hope to drive it for 10 years. We'll see....

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #10 of 17 Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
My main criteria was economy, both fuel and overall cost. I love the look of the GLA and the Q3, but the prices were too dear. Even the Countryman, with the options I wanted (and the CX-3 has) was too expensive. I narrowed it down to the CX-3 because I love Mazdas and the 500X for the sheer funkyness. The dealerships are right next to each other, with Mazda first on the freeway access road. I never made it to the the Fiat dealership... Once the the wee ones are out of daycare and into regular school, a GLA45 AMG may fit the bill!

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode