Lane Departure Warning intermittent problem. - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Blind Spot Monitoring intermittent problem.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I could not find it if so... Anyway on my wife's GT AWD the problem is very intermittent. Usually while driving, the indicator lights that means the system is inoperable (or off). Manually turning it back on does NOT work. Sometimes it goes off on its own then system works normally, but most times the car needs to be turned off then system will reset and work for a while as it is intended. It did this quite a bit on our 5K trip to Florida then just stopped and behaved normally for a few months! This weekend it has started up again. I mentioned it to our service manager a couple of weeks ago while in for service and he was not familiar with the problem but since it had not recurred in a while, told us to keep an eye on it and call him if it recurs.

Any ideas? Is our car haunted?

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

Last edited by ghmpm; 05-18-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I could not find it if so... Anyway on my wife's GT AWD the problem is very intermittent. Usually while driving, the indicator lights that means the system is inoperable (or off). Manually turning it back on does NOT work. Sometimes it goes off on its own then system works normally, but most times the car needs to be turned off then system will reset and work for a while as it is intended. It did this quite a bit on our 5K trip to Florida then just stopped and behaved normally for a few months! This weekend it has started up again. I mentioned it to our service manager a couple of weeks ago while in for service and he was not familiar with the problem but since it had not recurred in a while, told us to keep an eye on it and call him if it recurs.

Any ideas? Is our car haunted?
I noticed this with the blindspot monitoring system... The system works best when the car is clean. Driving in snow or slush made the system inoperable very quickly. So maybe the sensors are getting dirty/covered (would make sense on a long road trip)?
post #3 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGrayMSM View Post
I noticed this with the blindspot monitoring system... The system works best when the car is clean. Driving in snow or slush made the system inoperable very quickly. So maybe the sensors are getting dirty/covered (would make sense on a long road trip)?
Forgive my ignorance but what is the different between lane departure and blindspot monitoring? Thought it was the same animal?

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE

Wickenburg, AZ

post #4 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but what is the different between lane departure and blindspot monitoring? Thought it was the same animal?
Lane departure warning is to warn You when You drift out of You lane.
It uses a front mounted camera detecting the lines defining the lane You're in.
Blind Spot Monitoring is to warn You of a car in the blind spot, so You don't change lanes and hit another car You ahven't seen in the mirrors. It uses tiny radars mounted in each rear corner of the car and show the warning in the side mirrors (depending on which side).
greaseman85 and mainemanx like this.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Santa. If this is the case then I guess I mean blind-spot monitoring on ours. Still not sure why the intermittent problem. If its BSM then cleaning would not affect the problem? Still confused a bit.

NOTE just checked the window sticker and it says we have "Blind Spot Monitoring".

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE

Wickenburg, AZ

Last edited by ghmpm; 05-17-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarification
post #6 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Santa. If this is the case then I guess I mean blind-spot monitoring on ours. Still not sure why the intermittent problem. If its BSM then cleaning would not affect the problem? Still confused a bit.

NOTE just checked the window sticker and it says we have "Blind Spot Monitoring".
Could be an issue with the system in Your car.
In ours the BSM is working flawlessly, so I can't help You there.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #7 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

If your car is clean and you still have the issue, then there is an issue with your car. Check in the owner's manual. It tells you where the sensors are and to make sure that area is clean.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
First, confirm which warning light it is. BSM is a car with waves coming out of the corner. LDW is a car extruding from two vertical lines. Check your owner's manual (section 7) for more details.

If BSM, this most likely indicates a problem that should be addressed by the dealer.

If LDW, one possibility is that your car windshield over the camera was dirty. Frost, water, dirt, bugs or bird poop can all obscure the camera and prevent LDW from working. Do you recall if you were driving in dirty conditions? If it happens again, stop and examine the windshield clarity. Maybe even take pictures so if there is indeed a problem, you can have the dealer replace the system.

Another possibility, though less likely, could be your alignment, tire pressure, or the road bank angle. If there's a lot of steering input needed to correct for bias (ie, turning the wheel left or right significantly just to go in a straight line), that could cause the LDW to stop functioning.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and suggestions. LDW is obviously something I do not have; so it is a Blind Spot Monitoring problem. I changed the title of original post to indicate this. I will welcome any other suggestions and will probably make an appointment for next week to get it checked.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE

Wickenburg, AZ
post #10 of 20 Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had my cx3 GT for 6 months now and have the intermittent lane departure warning issue. Blind spot monitoring warning light came on once as well. This thread is getting old but hoping someone out there has had this issue resolved. Dealer checked it out but no codes. Blamed it on dirty windshield but I don't buy it. Any help is appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode