• 1 Post By Trixstar
  • 1 Post By VANDAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-09-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Paint and windshield chip issues?

Well, I just gave my car it's first hand wash of the year and here's a couple concern I found...

I've read a few posts of people who've already experienced paint chip issues but I'm now wondering if it's a widespread issue? Mine's a 2016 (01/16) in ceramic metallic with quite a few chips on the front bumper as well as little specks in the windshield. It's not like I've been driving it for years, while tailgating a gravel truck or anything like that. Mostly city driving with a few highway trips on snowy roads up until now.

Second, and on an unrelated portion of the car, the doors, rear quarter panels and lift gate (all the metal parts) seem to have tiny orange looking blemishes as well. They almost look like little rust spots, but that cannot be possible...can it??

Any insight or validation that this might be a Mazda paint/glass issue would be great. If not...maybe my car has been running around on dirt roads at night while I'm sleeping.

Last edited by senecaty; 05-09-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The paint does suck. No doubt about it. It's very soft and chips extremely easily. I have tons of chips on the front bumper windshield and A pillars. Some down to the metal so I had to use touchup paint to fill it in before rust forms. I had similar issues with my 2011 Mazda 3. Here's the kicker, Mazda paint is just as soft as most other manufacturers so it's not just limited to this car.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Not sure if this holds true here, others can chime in... But on other cars I have noticed that metallic paint seems to chip worse that non-metallic (ie white) paint. My wife's blue has some chips and she has touched up a couple. I did wax the snoot and mirrors today when I installed her moonroof deflector, with good carnauba wax. Might help who knows?

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
The orange specs may very well be rust spots. My 2007 Mazda 3 in Crystal White Metallic did the same thing with little orange spots. I got the added paint protection application on my CX-3, so we'll see if that helps prevent this sort of thing on my Ceramic Metallic paint. I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

My buddy that works in a body shop told me it's not uncommon on the new paint formulations, metallic colors, in particular. The reason is because the metal flake will have little edges of the metal flake exposed at the surface of the paint which will oxidize and cause the orange spots. It's nothing too major to worry about, but they can be hard to rub out if you go too long between waxing. On my old Mazda 3, I found this to be particularly troublesome around the chrome lettering/badging because it's hard to really get a cloth down to the paint with any kind of force needed to rub out the surface damage to the paint. I didn't really want to de-badge the car, but I was getting ready to do it just to be able to clean and wax the paint properly.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to get in there and clean those tiny detail areas around the badges effectively without taking them off? I have a heck of a time getting those little nooks and crannies clean and then waxed and buffed out. It seems like a piece of clear vinyl down between the paint and the badge would be a cheap and simple way to eliminate that problem in those spots. Might even be able to incorporate the film right onto the badge itself to save an assembly step. If anyone patents the idea, make sure you list me as the inventor!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The rust spots are not because of metallic paint. The correct term for those spots is rail dust. They are tiny metal particles that have found its way to your car and is embedded on your paint which then starts to rust. It happens to all colors, all makes and models. It's only more noticeable on white. To remove it properly without scratching your paint surface, use iron-x or get a clay bar and some clay lube and then wax your vehicle again.
TiGrayMSM likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I got the mazda touchup pen and gotta say it's pretty good. I "spot-treated" every stone chip (have about 3 on the car) and havent noticed any rusting etc, and it's very not-noticeable after touching up.
Sarah likes this.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #7 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Just ordered a touch-up as already got paint chips on the bonnet.

Still.................mustn't grumble
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
The orange specs may very well be rust spots.
Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to get in there and clean those tiny detail areas around the badges effectively without taking them off? I have a heck of a time getting those little nooks and crannies clean and then waxed and buffed out. It seems like a piece of clear vinyl down between the paint and the badge would be a cheap and simple way to eliminate that problem in those spots. Might even be able to incorporate the film right onto the badge itself to save an assembly step. If anyone patents the idea, make sure you list me as the inventor!
I always leave this to the last. I use a toothbrush-like detailing tool (fairly firm bristles but a real toothbrush would probably work), and put a microfibre cloth over it. Then I scrub the areas around the badging and the crud should come out.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I always leave this to the last. I use a toothbrush-like detailing tool (fairly firm bristles but a real toothbrush would probably work), and put a microfibre cloth over it. Then I scrub the areas around the badging and the crud should come out.
You can also tape around the badges with green painters tape. I would recommend using a small piece of clay bar and soapy solution and very delicately removing the spots.

OP, I have white cx-3 and the rail dust was very visible, especially after winter. I would suggest claying the entire car, then doing a sealant and wax. This should reduce the amount of specs you see on the paint. The hatch accumulates a lot of crud, so during the winter months some extra wax might help (Meguiars Quickwax is pretty convenient for this)! In regards to the chips... the paint is terrible(ly delicate). I ended up getting the entire front covered in XPEL film, but it is quite pricey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	9033  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-20-2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaty View Post
Well, I just gave my car it's first hand wash of the year and here's a couple concern I found...

I've read a few posts of people who've already experienced paint chip issues but I'm now wondering if it's a widespread issue? Mine's a 2016 (01/16) in ceramic metallic with quite a few chips on the front bumper as well as little specks in the windshield. It's not like I've been driving it for years, while tailgating a gravel truck or anything like that. Mostly city driving with a few highway trips on snowy roads up until now.

Second, and on an unrelated portion of the car, the doors, rear quarter panels and lift gate (all the metal parts) seem to have tiny orange looking blemishes as well. They almost look like little rust spots, but that cannot be possible...can it??

Any insight or validation that this might be a Mazda paint/glass issue would be great. If not...maybe my car has been running around on dirt roads at night while I'm sleeping.

Just want to share: found this place on the net (automotive touch ups) Both bottle has brush built into cap. In US for both less than $19 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (4).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	12601   Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (2).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	12609  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page