4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Spongy Brakes

Does anyone else find the brake pedal's lack of "firmness" a little unpleasant? I have noticed it more increasingly after 6000kms of ownership.

Don't get me wrong, the brakes work 100%, and stops well when needed. It's just that upon initial contact to about 30% of the pedal pressed in, it feels very soft and spongy. Only when pressed 50% or more does the brake give a responsive stop. I had the service dept check my brake fluid / calipers and pads etc everything was fine and new.

While it may not be a fair comparison, but my 11 year old RX8 with 40,000kms has much firmer / responsive brake pedals. Yes, i suppose the calipers are probably 1 piston more but still, this is probably the only one major disappointment with this otherwise splendid vehicle.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
A brake master cylinder stopper is a normal mod to prevent this however it doesn't seem achievable with the layout.

2015 Mazda CX3 S-Touring AWD Diesel Turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Im fairly sure this is not just my vehicle, because the 2 demos i took for my test drives both had this and was noticeable.
Again, fully functional brakes, but I feel Mazda could've fine tuned the braking feel better.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
That's odd. The experience I had (once) was while braked at a long light, I felt the brake soften and it felt like it "settled" further. I had to push further to make that contact you get when you - for lack of better words- are fully braked.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
That's odd. The experience I had (once) was while braked at a long light, I felt the brake soften and it felt like it "settled" further. I had to push further to make that contact you get when you - for lack of better words- are fully braked.
I have experience this on multiple occasions it always happens when you hold the brakes for extended period of time.

post #6 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Aye, don’t worry, its just the servo doing its job.

To find out what the pedal is really like, turn the engine off and pump the brake a few times to exhaust the vacuum. The pedal will go hard. If you want to play, keep the pressure on and then start the engine. You might even get the pedal to the floor but by then you will probably have well over 100 bar in the system.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #7 of 16 Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
anchorman, is there any way to improve the braking feel / response?

Obviously it's too soon for a change right now but would replacing brake cables / fluid / pads / rotors improve anything? thanks!

post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2016, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Cables pipes and fluid wouldn’t and pads and discs would only effect the performance through a temperature range which is usually way outside the envelope of normal use (competition etc). They’ve been set up to give a powerful feel and that softness is a demonstration of how powerful the servo is. Did you try pumping the pedal with the engine off? That would show you what I mean.
VANDAL likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The brakes actually work ok for the application, and as you said it's at a certain percentage that they really feel like they begin to work effectively.

I confirm that they are not high temp pads that need to be warmed up for them to really work. As I said, the brake master cylinder stopper is what would fix this issue. If the firewall gets any flex you will definitely feel the brakes not engage so well then all of a sudden they seem to work better half way through applying pedal force.

Cusco makes an integrated engine strut brace and brake master cylinder stopper for the previous model Mazda 2 known as the demio in Japan. The current model demio has the same stud pattern and is compatible with the CX3 however there isn't a version that incorporates a brake master cylinder stopper.

I think that it won't be long before a solution is found to this as the Japanese market is getting larger every day and the performance market is beginning to make parts for the CX3 and demio market.
VANDAL likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Cables pipes and fluid wouldn’t and pads and discs would only effect the performance through a temperature range which is usually way outside the envelope of normal use (competition etc). They’ve been set up to give a powerful feel and that softness is a demonstration of how powerful the servo is. Did you try pumping the pedal with the engine off? That would show you what I mean.
I have not tried this but will this afternoon. Will the effect of pumping the brakes be lasting, or is it something that needs to be done every-now-and-then?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode