User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Driving in the Dark - Issues!

Yeah, I know. Long story short, I moved from the burbs to the country. There's little street lighting once you're off the "main roads". What I find odd in this vehicle is how the headlights don't 'seem to' provide much in the way of peripheral lighting, if I can call it that. I feel like making a turn around a corner, there is a big blind spot of no illumination. It makes me paranoid I'm going to hit something. Has anyone ever night dived before? Its like the sensation you get when you can't see because you headlamp only shows you so much.

I really don't recall my Golfie having this issue, having moved out to the country with it last year. I use my brights but I'm talking about the regular driving on dark roads. Is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I've noticed the same feeling. Like I need to be more cautious in this car than I did when making turns in the dark in previous rides. The light beams have very sharp cut-offs which seems to be a common trait with projector headlamps, even with halogens. I had a similar complaint with my Mazda 6, but at least on that car, I had the fog lamps which I found to help a bit with some of the close-range peripheral lighting. I suspect Mazda knows about it also, since the the top-of-line trim models come with adaptive LED lighting which physically turns the projectors when you turn the steering wheel to help throw light into the turn so you're a little less blind going in.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have adaptive headlights? That could be it, since with adaptive headlights once you turn, the headlights turn in the same direction providing more light to the direction of your turn rather than ahead of you.

At any rate, I don't think the LED headlights are good enough, they definitely don't cover as much distance as my previous car with HID lights. The brightness is more than enough, but it just doesn't cover enough distance, forcing me to use high beams a lot when I almost never used them in my previous car.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
What trim level do you have? I have the Grand Touring and holy crap - it has the brightest headlights of any car Ive owned in the past 30 years - EASILY. The adaptive part is really cool too, really lights up the corners when you turn.

Truthfully the headlights and how effective they are, are one of my favorite features of the car.

HID kits are pretty cheap these days if you wanted to retrofit them (assuming you don't have them already). Might be a solution for you.
drs88, LeeBeckstar and ghmpm like this.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 PM
JPA

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
The LO-beams are actually pretty good even compared to HIDs. Here is a graphic from my earlier post. It shows the light pattern according to 5 lux.
You should check your headlight aiming.
http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/44481-post14.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CX-3_LED-VS-Hella_200X_enon.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	7985  

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD

Last edited by JPA; 04-13-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Do you have the fog lights turned on? Fog lights operate on an independent switch ring on the light control. They offer quite a bit of additional side lighting a short distance from the car.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
The LED headlights are good on this car, but for some reason I still think the OEM HIDs on my 05 RX8 is brighter in comparison.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #8 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I would say the CX3 lights do "seem" darker, but the lighted area is actually quite large and well-lit. This could possibly have to do with the color and brightness of the lights. Our eyes adjust to the well-lit area which makes everything else darker.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does zbgirl have halogens or LED's?
post #10 of 30 Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 PM
JPA

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
The LED headlights are good on this car, but for some reason I still think the OEM HIDs on my 05 RX8 is brighter in comparison.
Here is graph for 2004 RX-8. It's from the same car magazine as the CX-3 graph I posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RX-8_lights.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7993  

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode