Aftermarket headlights (the whole assembly) - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Aftermarket headlights (the whole assembly)

Last week I ordered a ceramic silver gt for my wife and it'll likely arrive in 4-6 weeks, but sadly we're in one of those countries that get screwed with no led option.

This will be our first mazda and I'm not currently aware of how big the mazda aftermarket product/vendor universe is.

So, is it realistic to expect any aftermarket PnP led headlights in the near future?

I know I could swap the halogen bulbs for hid's but I'd rather wait if an oem-like PnP assembly should eventually come out, I don't really care if the main beam is led or hid as long as they look like the oem's with the led-drl's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Like all cars, it depends on volumes before accessory makers tool up to make parts. We're not yet a year into production so you might have to settle for HIDs and LED sidelights for now.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Ive installed aftermarket headlights on prior cars and never found any housing to be an OEM quality fit, even on vehicles that have huge aftermarket support and cars that have been in the market for 5+ years.

I'd highly recommend keeping an eye out on scrap yard inventory pages (ebay is a good option, believe it or not) in regions that sell CX-3 w/ LED housing. You might run into a scrapped CX3 and but with intact front-end parts for your picking.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT

post #4 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had this same scenario just recently with an mk7 golf that I swapped the halogen headlights for aftermarket hid/led and let me tell you that not only do they look just like the oem ones but they are in fact pretty close in all aspects, no real drop in quality of components, materials or assembly, so was hoping the cx3 would eventually get something similar in that respect.

I'm sure that going back even just a few years the aftermarket quality wasn't where it is today, but now a days its really getting that good imho.

My worry with retrofitting the oem led headlights is that they most likely wont be a direct PnP swap, just like it wasn't possible on the vw and hence why I had to get aftermarket ones; it's mainly due to voltage supplied, canbus resistors, ballasts, etc. these are different on the halogen equipped cars vs the led equipped cars.

If I got some mazda oem led lights for my cx3, I'd likely have to get different wiring harnesses and maybe have to change voltage settings or install canbus resistors for them to work properly and/or not trigger ecu alarms, and then the install becomes expensive and a PITA.

Some aftermarket suppliers take care of those differences and incorporate them into the headlight units so they can be true PnP without further changes needed to the car.

Last edited by cx3ace; 04-11-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode