FWD or AWD? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWD or AWD?

I recently joined this forum and it already seems very helpful. I'm in the market for a new car and really like the CX-3. However, my last two cars were really great Subarus so I'm also considering the Forester X/T and the Crosstrek.

But the Crosstrek seems underpowered and the mileage on the X/T isn't as good as the CX-3 and it is more expensive, especially compared with the FWD CX-3. And the CX-3 just seems more fun to drive.

Which gets to my question: I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money for the AWD? One of the things I loved about the Subarus is how they are surefooted in snowy conditions. But since I'm in Texas, there are only a few such days a year and this year we had none. So it's probably not worth it but, for those who've driven the FWD in winter conditions, how does it handle in such circumstances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I haven't driven my CX-3 FWD in the winter but my past cars were FWD and for the limited amount of snow in the St.Louis area the FWD worked fine.
If I lived in a climate with a lot of snow then I would have gotten the AWD.The forester is really a great vehicle but I think the CX- 3 is more fun to drive as long as you don't go off road and that is where the forester excels beside being a good street machine.

Last edited by Playthru; 03-30-2016 at 03:31 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I live in Denmark and we usually get a bit of snow each winter (sometimes a lot) and we mainly drive FWD cars as AWD cars are really expensive.
The main problem here is not FWD versus AWD but summer tires versus winter tires.
If have a decent set of wintertires You'll be fine unless You're actually planning on driving semi-offroad.
I agree that if You live in place that has a lot of snow for several months of the year (like Norway og nothern Sweden), AWD could be the better option compared to FWD, otherwise FWD is good enough.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
ex-Impreza RS owner here. the CX-3 with AWD is superb in the snow/ice conditions. I am writing from Canada where our winters are quite notorious; drove through this winter on STOCK tires and never once lost traction. If you were to equip it with, say Blizzaks or X-Ice, it would be invincible.

I can sing nothing but praise for the system on this car; which came to me as quite a surprise (as Mazdas are not generally known for their AWD)

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
ex-Impreza RS owner here. the CX-3 with AWD is superb in the snow/ice conditions. I am writing from Canada where our winters are quite notorious; drove through this winter on STOCK tires and never once lost traction. If you were to equip it with, say Blizzaks or X-Ice, it would be invincible.

I can sing nothing but praise for the system on this car; which came to me as quite a surprise (as Mazdas are not generally known for their AWD)
Hi Vandal,

As another Canadian , I agree with all of the above with one exception.
Also STOCK tires, but temperatures not far below freezing seem to freeze the rubber compound, resulting in a lot of fun with the 4 wheel drift, so I HAVE lost traction but clearly I know why.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I live in Sydney, Australia and do not know what snow is (just kidding, but never see the stuff). I bought the AWD CX3 for the added stability it gives in the wet and on dirt roads. Our previous FWD hatchback often spun the wheels on take off in the wet, which really impeded progress. Never happens in the CX3.

CX3 iTouring petrol auto awd safety pack Soul Red
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The AWD is very smart on the CX-3 and there are other benefits like handling and safety.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed with Anchorman. I think even if you don't anticipate a lot of snow, if you can afford it go with the AWD for the extra benefits. As for snow, we get our share of snow in the winter and I've usually driven FWD cars without any problem, this is my first AWD. It gives peace of mind and certainly improves acceleration and can help if your front wheels slip or get stuck in snow.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
depends of where you live... unless you have snowy winter or living in a country where it rains a lot ... FWD is enough.

Here in south of France, we usually never have snow or if we have, in a few hours that's over, even if I go skiing roads are cleaned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode