Shifter issue? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-25-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Shifter issue?

I apologize if this was brought up already, but I quickly browse the forums and didn't see anything on this so I figured I would ask.

Is anyone having a problem with the shifter sticking a little bit when put in manual mode? In our cx3, when the shifter is pushed sideways into manual mode, the shifter tends to stick in the up or down position for a moment before springing back to the center position.

This is especially true on colder mornings or in cold weather.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at it, they said that they did not have a fix for it. The tech guy saw it and said that it shouldn't do that. However, we went out into the lot and looked at two other GT models on the lot, and they both did the same thing.

Our cx-5 doesn't do that, just the cx3. The dealership they said they can't fix it because Mazda hasn't put out a bulletin on it. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-25-2016, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
How long have you had the car for? It could just be tight tolerances on a new car. My manual transmission use to be difficult to put into 2nd and 5th but the issue resolved itself by about 3,000 km.

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT

Last edited by drs88; 02-26-2016 at 12:23 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I think the problem lies with the auto shifter in this case.

I don't know why the dealer can't fix it. It's a fairly simple affair so a half decent mechanic would be able to pull it to bits and sort it out. And if there really is no fix they should order a new one off Mazda. I would go and find another dealer or make a nuisance of myself at that one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gears linkage.pdf (184.0 KB, 168 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 02-26-2016 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
I apologize if this was brought up already, but I quickly browse the forums and didn't see anything on this so I figured I would ask.

Is anyone having a problem with the shifter sticking a little bit when put in manual mode? In our cx3, when the shifter is pushed sideways into manual mode, the shifter tends to stick in the up or down position for a moment before springing back to the center position.

This is especially true on colder mornings or in cold weather.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at it, they said that they did not have a fix for it. The tech guy saw it and said that it shouldn't do that. However, we went out into the lot and looked at two other GT models on the lot, and they both did the same thing.

Our cx-5 doesn't do that, just the cx3. The dealership they said they can't fix it because Mazda hasn't put out a bulletin on it. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
I have noticed the same thing.
It hesitates for ˝ second or something like that.
A bit weird at first, but I'm use to it now, the few times I actually use manual shifting with the gearstick.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
It definitely sticks a bit for me as well.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #6 of 13 Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Before fitting the paddles I used the manual mode a bit but can't day I ever encountered what is described.

Possibly our warmer climate makes it less likely

2015 CX3 Akari - 2.0 Petrol AWD

Mods: Pedal Kit, Hood Insulator, Boot Liner, Front Parking Sensors, 40% Tint, Paddle Shifts, USB to Glovebox..Console, Infotainment Tweaks......
post #7 of 13 Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I don't know whether to say I'm glad that we aren't the only ones with issues or not. Now that looks like other people are having problems, I wish Mazda would know about this so they can put a bulletin out on it and get it taken care of.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a little over 6000 miles on my CX-3 now and mine used to stick like you say. After some use, it's loosened up and no longer sticks. Just needs to be broken in. The grease Mazda uses in these linkages is kinda thick if it's the same stuff they used to use over the last 10-ish years. Just keep using it and it should get better.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I hadn't used the shifter to change gears in a while, only used the paddle shifters, but now mine don't stick as much as they used to either. Its almost unnoticeable now.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #10 of 13 Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I've got a little over 6000 miles on my CX-3 now and mine used to stick like you say. After some use, it's loosened up and no longer sticks. Just needs to be broken in. The grease Mazda uses in these linkages is kinda thick if it's the same stuff they used to use over the last 10-ish years. Just keep using it and it should get better.
We just passed 5,000 miles in ours and it doesn't seem like it is getting any better, and I try to use it a little each and every day of driving.

Like usual, it 'sticks' all the time, but it is better on warmer days or after the car heats up for a while. Still not perfect but better.

On colder days, still awful. The other day it was in the low 20's in the morning, and when I tried to use it, it never sprung back to the starting position, it stuck in the 'upshift' position until I moved it back manually.

While not terrible, it almost seems like it could be a small safety hazard.

I really wish Mazda would just find a simple solution for this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode