User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Windshield Washer Fluid...Fail!?

I recently had my 5k service on AWD GT (way cheaper than I've been used to in last few cars & free oil changes!) so all the fluids were topped off (confirmed fluids were full) We took a long drive yesterday - the temps here in NYC suburbs dropped to single digits & below. Windshield got splattered in the usual white blend of salt, snow etc. (it's wasn't snowing just stuff on the road) Hit the front washer & a tiny squirt of fluid came out then that was it. Blasted the defroster. It never worked again the rest of the day/night. Stopped at a gas station & cleaned windshield there.

Has anyone else in cold weather regions experienced this? Do they freeze? I do not recall experiencing this with my previous (luxury) cars in low temps & no ice/snow on windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
There is no reason why the washers wouldn't freeze in your cold climate unles you have very strong concentrated washer fluid as they are nor heated in any way. Mazda made a departure from convention with this washer pump in that the same one does both front and rear by simply reversing direction. I reckon some gets past the pump and back to the reservoir. As a result, they are extremely weak and often criticised on these pages. It was a novel idea but it simply doesn't work. I've known very small dogs cock their leg up a post with greater force.
mikflores and Sarah like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Washer Fluid Must Have Frozen

I echo dear Anchorman's comment that it is probable that the washer fluid was not adapted to very cold weather. (My dealer, when I took delivery in November, put in liquid that would freeze when the temperature went below -3C. I replaced the liquid with one with a -25C limit.)
However, the comment from (still) dear Anchorman about the reversible pump leaves me bewildered. It is probable that the pump works in one direction only (otherwise liquid, if any, would be pumped back into the tank) and that there is a valve to direct the liquid to the front or the back. But that is only logic talking, not experience.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I guess they were that exited to get one pump to do both screens that they forgot about logic. Have a read here and look at the direction of the arrows on the last page of each pdf..........

Hey and get this. There is design for a low fluid switch but mine definitely hasn’t got it despite having the provision for a light on the dash. I reckon the switches weren’t ready for production and will come on later variants.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf windscreen washers.pdf (252.6 KB, 448 views)
File Type: pdf wiper rear.pdf (203.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: pdf washer low level.pdf (152.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: pdf Washer fluid level sensor.pdf (147.8 KB, 405 views)
Bosse likes this.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
heartmyGT, being that I am a state over in CT I had a similar situation this morning as well. Warmed up the car, drove around for 20 minutes and when I went to spray the front windshield, nothing would come out and instead was spraying the back even though that was not activated. Came to the conclusion that I did in fact have "icy conditions" in my windshield washer fluid. Only reason I can imagine that the back nozzle worked temporarily was most likely due to the interior of the car warming the lines heading back there. Thankfully since I was down to less than 1/3 I poured in some de-icer fluid rated to -20F and it cleared up within a few minutes. It is strange in our area since we are experiencing unusual temperatures at this time than we have the last few years.

Long story short, many dealers use the generic washer fluid (which you can find at any gas station) rated at 0*F since we rarely go below. Given the windchill and the fact that we were around -14F today, its a pretty unfortunate combination to clean our windshield with lol.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Logic or Knowledge

Dear Anchorman, I have looked at the diagrams and I see the dotted arrows going in one direction for the front washer and in the other direction for the rear washer. The problem is in the interpretation of the dotted arrows. Logic (again) tells me that this is an indication of the polarity of the signal going to the relay controlling the switch directing the fluid flow out of the pump either to the front or to the rear washer. I am afraid that, to settle this, one of us is going to have to look physically by taking the pump apart to see what really is happening and I am afraid, again, that it will not be me. But if someone does this, it will be in the interest of scientific discovery (applied to the CX3).
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
Dear Anchorman, I have looked at the diagrams and I see the dotted arrows going in one direction for the front washer and in the other direction for the rear washer. The problem is in the interpretation of the dotted arrows. Logic (again) tells me that this is an indication of the polarity of the signal going to the relay controlling the switch directing the fluid flow out of the pump either to the front or to the rear washer. I am afraid that, to settle this, one of us is going to have to look physically by taking the pump apart to see what really is happening and I am afraid, again, that it will not be me. But if someone does this, it will be in the interest of scientific discovery (applied to the CX3).
Al, you never took your bumper off? I couldn't resist when I got mine and I took this photo.

If you zoom in you will see one pump and two pipes. I know as having qualifications in auto electrics that if you reverse the polarity of a DC motor, it will run backwards. Along with those schematics and without some sort of solenoid valves to direct the flow, I'm comfortable enough to conclude that the direction of flow is controlled by the direction of rotation. As you say, we can't be 100% sure without pulling one apart and watching it but all the evidence available and my gut says I'm right. If you do have a change of heart and decide to take your bumper off just pop that pump out and send it to me and I'll pull that apart with pleasure.
Cyclone1410 and Sarah like this.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
either way.. the dog still wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
I've known very small dogs cock their leg up a post with greater force.
anchorman, mikflores and Sarah like this.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #9 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM

My Logic

Perhaps I should have explained my "logic", which is:

"The Mazda engineers could not be that stupid."
post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
Perhaps I should have explained my "logic", which is:

"The Mazda engineers could not be that stupid."
Did you notice the layout of the centre console?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode