User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CX-3, Expensive car to insure?

Are CX-3's expensive to insure or did I just get a really bad quote? I am just about ready to purchase a CX-3 GT. I called my insurance company (Geico) to request a quote and received what I think is a very high number (around 2,000 a year). I'm not entirely sure they know what a CX-3 is as they couldn't find it in their system so that could account for something. Now I know there are many factors that go into car insurance like age of the driver, safety record, price of the car, location, amount of coverage/deductibles etc... I am in my 40's, never had an accident or ticket, and never late with a payment. My current car is a 9 year old Subaru with a low rate but I've owned brand new cars before and never came close to that number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
That is a tough question but its always good to shop around. Mine went down significantly, but I went from a leased BMW to a purchased CX3 at half the cost and all the safety do dads. To date, I've never read of people saying insurance is an issue.

Welcome to the forum and happy shopping around. Keep us posted on your decisions.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I would definitely suggest shopping for a new car insurance company. In my personal experience, GEICO is NOT the least expensive car insurance company. I guess their clients are paying for the slick commercials that are always in heavy rotation. I would recommend contacting an ERIE agent as I'm in a similar demographic as you and pay only $1400 per year living in the City of Baltimore.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
I agree here about shopping around for a good deal. Also its really hard to say what anyone or everyone will have as insurance since rates vary greatly by many things. Here in Madison for example I pay roughly $82 full coverage through Progressive. I'm 25 with 2 accidents that was not my fault and only 2 speeding tickets (0_0) so with that I got that rate. Which funny thing my previous car was a 2008 Honda Fit and I was paying $120 liability only a month because I was under 25 at the time. Apparently 25 is the magic age I've been told but take that with a grain of salt because I don't even remember where I heard that from.

So shop around and price out quotes. I also recommend using or making a spam dump email account as you will get massive emails and paper mail and phone calls about all these quotes you are asking so find ways to avoid that as its really annoying.

Certified Mazda Technician
Old 02-13-2016, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and YES shop around. It pays to get different quotes, you will be amazed at the different quotes from companies. And in our case, our rate actually went DOWN from the 2012 Mazda5 we traded in. Go figure.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
Old 02-13-2016, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all. Glad to hear that it is not more to insure than other cars but I'm still scratching my head at that quote considering they have my clean driving record and payment history in hand. I suppose it IS possible they didn't base it off an actual CX-3 as the agent said the car wasn't in their system yet. If that's true I wonder where they came up with their price. I've been lurking here for awhile researching and reading all the impressions and am looking forward to finally driving one myself.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
Apparently 25 is the magic age I've been told but take that with a grain of salt because I don't even remember where I heard that from.
25 is the magic number in the US. I always joke that its the last birthday with a benefit. I believe those over 25 are statistically proven to be safer drivers so insurance companies factor that in.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Update: I've been Internet shopping for quotes and the first one I sought is less than half what Geico offered. Sorry to sound the alarm for those that are reading this thread!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
$593 full comp through RACQ - AWD Turbo S-Touring model.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Look for discounts, that's the key.

Check through your employer, your college alumni association, AAA, etc.

If you already have an auto policy or homeowner's/renter's policy with one company, ask if they have a multi-policy discount.

Liberty has this thing called the RightTrack that you connect to the OBD-II port for 90 days that monitors: hard braking, rapid acceleration, miles driven, and nighttime (after midnight) driving, and depending on the results can save you up to 25% once its over with.

There are discounts to be had, you just have to find them.