• 1 Post By funambulistic
  • 2 Post By ghmpm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Cx3 GPS features?

Before I buy the sd card, I was wondering if one can locate various services, restaurants or hotels or other categories by current location, much like my old portable Magellan gps. I consider that a great feature. Anyone out there who has the dedicated sd card for the mazda gps? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
Before I buy the sd card, I was wondering if one can locate various services, restaurants or hotels or other categories by current location, much like my old portable Magellan gps. I consider that a great feature. Anyone out there who has the dedicated sd card for the mazda gps? Thanks
Yes it does all those things and more. At least in Australia anyway. There is a reasonable search function and you can configure the system to show various key points of interest such as servos, parking, restaurants, etc.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

You can have a look at the dedicated presentation from Master your Mazda | how-to videos & manuals | product features, just choose CX3 and locate the Navigation video.

I haven't used it yet with places of interest.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Not to sound like a huge complainer but I think our navigation is pretty poor. 10 out of 10 times I prefer to just use Google Maps on my phone instead. I would not consider purchasing the SD card for any "updates" IMHO when all can be had for free with google maps
greaseman85 likes this.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
Not to sound like a huge complainer but I think our navigation is pretty poor. 10 out of 10 times I prefer to just use Google Maps on my phone instead. I would not consider purchasing the SD card for any "updates" IMHO when all can be had for free with google maps
To be fair this is true of almost every in-dash GPS system, they're all poor unless you have a high end car that actually uses Google Maps (Audi, BMW, etc.)

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
The actual GPS in the CX-3 is an order of magnitude better than on my '13 MS3. That system was a TomTom and I believe it was oriented more towards the European market, which is no big deal, but even with frequent map updates, it still had a hard time with highway updates and "iffy" addresses, which my phone handled with aplomb. I did like that it had more customizable features like backgrounds and voices (I liked the British option but opined for a French maid giving directions). So far, the new system Mazda has employed has been spot on (i.e., I don't have to pull out my phone) and I love the actual 3D renderings of buildings, especially when I go downtown and see the skyscrapers passing by on my screen. Is it perfect? By no means, but it sure is not bad.
Cyclone1410 likes this.

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
post #7 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Gawd I had an awful time recently driving in Langley BC (DARK no street lights) and was trying to find my way with my android phone using google maps. Because I wasn't using a data plan or 4G the map function was visual only. the phone kept sliding around my car, onto the floor, and I couldn't read the phone using my driving glasses. So I'm taking off my glasses to peer at my phone and then putting the glasses back on to drive. What a nightmare.

My dash cam was hooked up to the one and only 9 volt charger in the CX3. I decided then and there I needed the SD card for other trips if I was going to keep the dash cam plugged in.

I think using google maps is fine with an unlimited data plan. Even with pre loading the maps, I could only get the visual directions, not the voice over. Unless I'm wrong about how I configured it.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
You don't need 4G or unlimited data plan, Google Maps hardly uses data. In the past few days I've used it 2-3 times and it's only used about 14 megabytes.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
when I went for a roadtrip from Austin to Orlando the google maps consumed 75% of my 2.5Gb data allowance

2016 Mazda CX3 GT FWD Soul Red Metallic
post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Personally I prefer the in-car unit! The Mazda unit is VERY easy to use and does well. Since I just finished a 5K trip, I have some practice with the "points of interest". You can search for fuel, hotels, parks and much more. And unlike some in-car units the updates are free for 3 years from purchase! Simple to program too.
Cyclone1410 and funambulistic like this.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode