Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Why is our horn so wussy sounding?

25K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  anchorman 
#1 ·
Used the horn for the first time this morning, wow was it ever soft.

I had my music volume at about 65%, i literally had trouble hearing the horn inside the cabin. Initially, i thought my horn wasn't working.

This bothers me a lot more than I thought it would - as it is a safety concern. Do you think your horn is quiet?

#3 ·
Its why I took the bumper off;

.......and put twin horns on (FIAMM OE high and low tone off Amazon);

Reactions: figgys05
#10 ·
Its why I took the bumper off

.......and put twin horns on (FIAMM OE high and low tone off Amazon);
Did you wire them directly to the stock horn circuit, or did you use a relay and new leads to the battery? I'm wondering if the current draw will ever be an issue with the stock harness and fuse.

I've added horns like this to a few of my motorcycles. One time I was on a twisty, one lane road and was honking as I entered each turn in case there was oncoming traffic. After about 20 minutes I blew the fuse on the stock relay.

#4 · (Edited)
Good choice! The Hella horns are made to get attention. The only problem is that if you honk right near the back bumper of the car ahead, you will probably see the driver jump off his seat and make make a dent in the roof with his head. I had one in my previous car (Subaru Forester) which had an even whimpier horn than the CX3 and I found that I had to be careful when and where I honked.

#6 ·
Horn in my wife's CX-5 is so much better than the one in the CX-3. Was debating just going with an OEM CX-5 horn but the aftermarket parts are probably cheaper.

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry no I don't. There's a bracket just below of the horn that connects from the rad support to the bumper support with a hole in it . If you look at anchormans photo you see to the right of his horn a bracket with a single hole . That's where I mounted it to. I took the new horn and slightly bent it's bracket and bought a 10mm bolt . I went from the outside lower end of the bumper and worked upward. The entire install took about an hour once I got the perfect angle.the horn itself is behind the bumper support not blocking any part of air to the rad. I did most of the wiring from above, easy part. Hope this helps .

#15 ·
Yes of course.

Not st my computer so will do it later.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Reactions: Tlemon
#25 ·
It’s on a relay so it should be OK as long as you don’t go mad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.