1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2016 CX3 GT versus 2015 Audi Q3 quattro

Hello,

I am looking to make a purchase in the next couple weeks. I have narrowed down my search and need feedback between 2 sub-compact SUV's, but each in a different category.

What is the advantage of the AWD system in the Mazda when compared to Quattro?
Price is approx $6000 difference, but I do receive free servicing for 36 months on the Audi.....is there justification for the additional price?
Any other reasons to choose one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
the cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the audi TT with the haldex system where during normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally fwd bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. when slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. the quattro on the other hand does its awd system differently in that there is not transfer case. instead half of the drive shaft there is a center differential when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel.

now the cost aspect. German cars are very expensive to maintain in the long run as i have serviced a few friends audi's and my goodness the control arms for for example on all 4 sides was 1400 used. im also very curious what exactly what servicing they consider what is free here (oil changes or what not since its only for 3 years). Mazdas arent exactly cheap either but much cheaper than audi's for sure (at lease here in the US).

I would research on what exactly the cost break down between these "free" services compared to normal services for the cx3 and see if that justifies it.

and feel free anyone to correct me on any of this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
I would research on what exactly the cost break down between these "free" services compared to normal services for the cx3 and see if that justifies it.
If that is is the deciding factor just double check what is free. They offer that in Australia a bit, but it will just be the base service that is free. So then they add on labour, add ons like premium oil, washer fluid, safety checks, tyre rotations, scheduled service items etc etc etc (because you know, they are apparently not normal service items)

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT

post #4 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
Hello,

I am looking to make a purchase in the next couple weeks. I have narrowed down my search and need feedback between 2 sub-compact SUV's, but each in a different category.

What is the advantage of the AWD system in the Mazda when compared to Quattro?
Price is approx $6000 difference, but I do receive free servicing for 36 months on the Audi.....is there justification for the additional price?
Any other reasons to choose one over the other?
I looked at a Q3 but found that to spec it up to the same level cost me a lot more than your $6000 difference - at least double that. There is something about an Audi that exudes quality but I in terms of build quality, they do not always live up to their reputation. I just wasnít as comfortable with German as I was with Japanese. The Audi may well have a better residual value when you come to sell it.

Quote:
the cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the audi TT with the haldex system where during normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally fwd bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. when slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. the quattro on the other hand does its awd system differently in that there is not transfer case. instead half of the drive shaft there is a center differential when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel.
Snoogs, this is the most awkward description of the AWD system Iíve ever read. I donít mean to tell you off but it would help if you threw in the odd capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. Iíve read it about 4 times and it still doesnít make one iota of sense to me (a qualified engineer) so how this poor chap is supposed to fathom it is beyond me. Would you mind having another go. Are you saying that the Q3 has a Haldex arrangement?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, I love my CX-3 but I don't think you can really compare Mazda's AWD system with Audi's Quattro. The general consensus is that Quattro is really the best of the best AWD system out there.

Having said that, I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference in every day driving between the two systems. many people here have posted that the CX-3 handles very capably in snow, even on the stock tires.

I'm also certain the price difference for a similarly equipped Q3 is far more than $6000. The Q3 starts at $33,000, that in itself is about $6000 more than the GT trim with i-Activesense package.

I looked at the Q3 a while ago, it was a nice little CUV but it really didn't look and feel like an Audi to me when I was sitting down in it.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Snoogs, this is the most awkward description of the AWD system I’ve ever read. I don’t mean to tell you off but it would help if you threw in the odd capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. I’ve read it about 4 times and it still doesn’t make one iota of sense to me (a qualified engineer) so how this poor chap is supposed to fathom it is beyond me. Would you mind having another go. Are you saying that the Q3 has a Haldex arrangement?
The Cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the Audi TT with a what is called a haldex system. During normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally front wheel drive bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. When slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. The Quattro awd system on the other hand does it's awd engagement differently in that there is not transfer case incorporated. Instead, half way down the drive shaft there is a center differential that when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel, constantly changing which wheel gets how much power depending on road conditions. Wiki the quattro to explain the non existent transfer case because I'm not all 100% sure how that works yet.

Sorry about the previous confusing post as I was typing that while really sick and was really late. I just wanted to put some input as very recently I help disassembled and reassembled a 2001 Audi TT Haldex unit at school and learned a lot of how it works. Also I finished my training course regarding the features of the CX3 and MX5 around Sept and really wish I could get a hold of those training videos that explains a lot of the systems but they were all those "Mazda Use Only" nonsense.

Certified Mazda Technician

Last edited by Snoogie; 01-19-2016 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
The Cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the Audi TT with a what is called a haldex system. During normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally front wheel drive bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. When slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. The Quattro awd system on the other hand does it's awd engagement differently in that there is not transfer case incorporated. Instead, half way down the drive shaft there is a center differential that when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel, constantly changing which wheel gets how much power depending on road conditions. Wiki the quattro to explain the non existent transfer case because I'm not all 100% sure how that works yet.

Sorry about the previous confusing post as I was typing that while really sick and was really late. I just wanted to put some input as very recently I help disassembled and reassembled a 2001 Audi TT Haldex unit at school and learned a lot of how it works. Also I finished my training course regarding the features of the CX3 and MX5 around Sept and really wish I could get a hold of those training videos that explains a lot of the systems but they were all those "Mazda Use Only" nonsense.
OK buddy thanks. Sorry to hear you were ill.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #8 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM
JPA

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Current Q3 has also got the Haldex with 90:10 torque distribution.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD
post #9 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of my best friends has a 2014 Audi Q3 TDI and she absolutely loves it. However, as a number of others have mentioned the difference in price is substantial once you add the various extras onto the Q3 to bring it in line with the CX-3.

Having said that, the extra money spent on the Audi is getting you better quality interior plastics, an excellent level of fit and finish in the cabin, and a quieter more refined ride, especially at highway speeds.

I'm not sure how the overall build quality and reliability of the two compare. Both German and Japanese built vehicles are generally well respected, although perhaps in this case it's Spanish or Chinese vs Thai build that should be considered...

I certainly think the CX-3 is very impressive when you consider the price difference.

As for the AWD systems, perhaps if you were to give more information on what type of conditions you plan to drive in, then existing owners could give their experiences on driving in those conditions.

Last edited by AlexMc; 01-19-2016 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I like documents to read rather than sketchy info.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode