Am I imagining this? Horn sound varies... - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Am I imagining this? Horn sound varies...

So my husband bought me a drop in horn from a marine supply store, and was looking around for the original horn for the cx3. We did find it, but haven't installed it yet.

My question is: the horn in active alarm mode sounds loud, but when you sound the horn in normal operations, it sounds pretty wishy washy, like another poster commented, it's as if you're saying....uh, uh, excuse me?

Also if you go one further step and lock the car so that it beeps, that beep sounds louder than the actual 'normal' horn sound.

Are there two settings, or two horns, or ?

And, looking at the various posters who have retrofit horns into the existing wiring, really...you need to remove the bumper and grill? Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
So my husband bought me a drop in horn from a marine supply store, and was looking around for the original horn for the cx3. We did find it, but haven't installed it yet.

My question is: the horn in active alarm mode sounds loud, but when you sound the horn in normal operations, it sounds pretty wishy washy, like another poster commented, it's as if you're saying....uh, uh, excuse me?

Also if you go one further step and lock the car so that it beeps, that beep sounds louder than the actual 'normal' horn sound.

Are there two settings, or two horns, or ?

And, looking at the various posters who have retrofit horns into the existing wiring, really...you need to remove the bumper and grill? Thanks for any comments.
According to the USA version of the manual posted on the forum, it looks like you can change the volume for the door lock beep (page 3-13), but not for the main horn.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My wife was joking around and honked the horn at me while I was standing in front of our CX-3 a few days after we got it. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with our horns being quiet. I am pretty darn confident I would have no problem hearing that horn inside of another car. As for why it seems quieter when you honk vs when you lock the doors, I suspect that is because you're inside the car with the doors shut when you honk and you are outside when you lock the doors. The driver's seat is a terrible position for hearing your own cars horn because you're sitting behind a directional speaker inside of a somewhat soundproofed vehicle. Add to that, our cars actually have pretty good sound proofing compared to the majority of cars I've ridden in.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I’ve never said it was quiet but it doesn’t make the sound I like for a modern quality car. The twin wind tone horns I’ve fitted don’t sound particularly loud from the inside but they certainly do outside. The stock horn also has a little diverter on the spout which diverts the sound forward out of the grill.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
the singular "BEEP" upon double-locking is much louder than regular horn.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Agree with Vandal. My former GTI, for such a little car, had a horn that said, HEY.
I tried looking at settings for the beep adjustment - haven't found anything yet to alter. Maybe not available in CA vehicles?

And if cstone is right and all cars are as well sound proofed - then even the cx 3 horn to others would sound as 'meh' as well.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2016, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
Agree with Vandal. My former GTI, for such a little car, had a horn that said, HEY.
I tried looking at settings for the beep adjustment - haven't found anything yet to alter. Maybe not available in CA vehicles?

And if cstone is right and all cars are as well sound proofed - then even the cx 3 horn to others would sound as 'meh' as well.
9-13 in the owners manual
personalization features
can be high, med, low or off

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #8 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

I looked at the manual. At first glance, it appears that you can make the adjustment. However the page refers you to another page which refers you to the audio system adjustment. There's nothing indicating a horn high medium or low adjustment. It might have to be dealer service station adjusted.
Has anyone else had success with adjusting the sound level for the double click of the key fob? They call it a beep back?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
It's for the beep - there's no adjustment for the horn

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode