LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
my CX-3 went haywire

Hello everyone,

This happened just now.

I did the start procedure by the stepping brake and pressing the ignition button. I just heard a click and the car didn't start. So I tried the start procedure a couple of times more then suddenly, the dashboard went haywire. The warning and interior lights lit up. The windshield wipers also moved on their own. There were also ticking sounds inside the fuse box upon inspecting the hood.

I'm posting this here because I don't have anyone to ask. My older brother will not be around until this weekend. I figured out you guys might help and give me an idea on what's happening in the car. The last time we drove the car was when it was picked up from the dealership last two weeks. It had 45 miles on it brand new.

Update: The car can't detect the key fob. It won't also lock. The only interior light remaining is the ignition button light. It's flashing red.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by agent329; 12-16-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I suspect that the system has latched out and has gone into a "safe mode". It might clear if you disconnect the battery earth lead and reconnect it after a couple of minutes. If you are not sure about doing that, just call the dealer and they will sort it out.

Don't worry, it will get fixed.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much anchorman.

I've seen your posts from different CX-3 forums. I'm a fan!

post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent329 View Post
Thank you very much anchorman.

I've seen your posts from different CX-3 forums. I'm a fan!
I sound like a CX-3 forum floosy . Only the UK forum is my other hiding place and I do still visit my old mates at the RAV4 forums where I've been known to add the odd tutorial and "how to" video.

BTW, I will eventually be covering service items on the CX-3 in a YouTube video.
riosx2013 and DebbieinNorCal like this.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #5 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
have you tried using ur key fob to press the start button? press the flying M to the start button while pressing the brake pedal and see if that starts it. Sometimes i have new 3s that do that due to batteries going really low due to dead or bad cell.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #6 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It sounds like the car has been sitting idle for a little while. I was thinking battery low also.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
tell us everything that led up to said problem...def looking at a dying or faulty battery. It does happen more than u think even on a new car. those batteries do sit and may develop a bad cell.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #8 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
have you tried using ur key fob to press the start button? press the flying M to the start button while pressing the brake pedal and see if that starts it. Sometimes i have new 3s that do that due to batteries going really low due to dead or bad cell.
You mean the remote battery or the car battery?

post #9 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

The key fob is working. It is flashing red whenever I press a button. I tried pressing the key fob against the ignition button and it didn't work. I also tried the spare key fob but no luck.

I did the normal start procedure by pressing the brake and ignition button. I did that for a number of times before random lights lit up. Some of I can remember are the lights for the heated seat switches, shift knob lights, steering wheel lights, window and door lock lights.

The wipers moved on its own. It did a slow, full swing across the windshield before stopping.

There was also ticking sounds under the hood, inside the fusebox. I inspected every fuse and learned that it came from the ignition fuse and the wiper fuse. The ticking sounds went off after a couple of minutes. The randomly flashing interior lights also went off.

The car is now sitting dead. No lights, no nothing. It can't even detect the key fob.

I hope it's the battery and also hoping it didn't damage the electronics. It's scary seeing interior lights going haywire on a new car. It's also sad because the car is also promising. I really like it. My brother and I will be jumping the battery this weekend and will bring it back to the dealership.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From what you said it sounds like the car battery. It's not common on a new car but it isn't unknown. Like many components, they either fail when they are worn out or when brand new due to a manufacturing fault.

I don't understand the logic of asking you to hold the key by the start button. That is for a flat fob battery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode