10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
weight reduction

one of the reasons I bought the cx3 was because of its light weight. Like anything else there is always a way to improve on things so I was wondering if anyone has any weight saving tips? I already did the wheel trick and the car responded well to some lightweight rims. I did notice the hood or (bonnet) weighs a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
How far are you willing to go? What's your ultimate goal? The easiest weight savings would be to remove extra seats, floor mats, spare tire, cargo tray, and cargo cover.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD, Red/Parchment
post #3 of 14 Old 12-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The bonnet is designed to save your life if you rear end somebody by absorbing energy.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 14 Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
What is your end game ?

Why do you want it lighter, is it to drive fuel economy ?

Its not bad in that respect already.

Cant imagine it would be to improve performance, not the car to start with that in mind.

Taking out seats, carpets etc etc may help but just removes from the usability and comfort factors.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-12-2015, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigh View Post
What is your end game ?

Why do you want it lighter, is it to drive fuel economy ?

Its not bad in that respect already.

Cant imagine it would be to improve performance, not the car to start with that in mind.

Taking out seats, carpets etc etc may help but just removes from the usability and comfort factors.
Have to agree. Manufacturers these days go all out to save weight to drive fuel consumption improvements. They do however have to balance said weight reductions with the need for structural integrity as suggested by Anchorman.
greaseman85 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone1410 View Post
Have to agree. Manufacturers these days go all out to save weight to drive fuel consumption improvements. They do however have to balance said weight reductions with the need for structural integrity as suggested by Anchorman.
At the end of the day it is going to come down to how you drive the CX3 when it comes to fuel consumption and not weight alone. Now if you were obsessed with weight you would not be in the market for a CX3 rather the MX5 Miata/Roadster with the latest model very light.

Now if the original thread starter wanted to modify the CX3 by stripping out all the trim, front driver seat and rear seats amongst any other engine and safety parts you think are not needed you might get the weight down but I don't think the driving experience would be that good. You would be effectively turning the CX3 into a rally car and I doubt everyday car insurance companies will be willing to insure your car if the intention is to kick the guts out of it on a racing track than drive it on suburban streets or highways.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
If you want to go extreme, and have the money to play that game, the usual options are available. Find someone to custom craft you a carbon hood, or buy one if available (highly doubt at this time). What you say is true, and the hood weighs a considerable amount, so going carbon should drop weight exponentially. Also try carbon fiber options for other panels, or the likely needlessly heavy doors.

I see you've gone with lighter rims, in tune with that, the spare tire can go entirely, and if in the case of GT (or Grand Touring is it elsewhere? Top Trim?) drop the sub in place of the spare wheel.

You could look into lighter options for front seats. There are universal front seats (Assuming, once again, that no aftermarket options are available directly for the CX3) that would also weigh far less than the stocks do. You won't have much luck with the back ones, other than removing them.

There's a whole host of smaller weight reduction options too. For example, an exhaust system made of lighter materials. Even with aftermarket swaps of engine components, find lighter options.

Of course, all of this is entirely under the assumption you have money to blow. In which case, kudos to you, I take pleasure in seeing creativity in others. Or Id suggest, if money isn't an issue (and weight and power is important), trade your CX3 in for an Evoque? (reliability aside)

Realistically, considering I'm sure Mazda have already gone out of their way to save as much weight as possible (I mean, they are the makers of the Miata), only serious option is the stock hood for a carbon one. That is the largest weight loss that could be had.

PS - I don't mean to be an ass with that last bit about the trade in, it was a serious option. As I've mentioned in other threads, I consider myself to be at the forefront for modifying the CX3 beyond Mazda's original intentions.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #8 of 14 Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
When these things are crash tested under very strict conditions, it really does depend on all of the panels deforming in a predictable way and changing to carbon fibre might well reduce weight but it will effect the way the car behaves in a crash. As long as you understand what you are compromising, fill your boots.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 14 Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
When these things are crash tested under very strict conditions, it really does depend on all of the panels deforming in a predictable way and changing to carbon fibre might well reduce weight but it will effect the way the car behaves in a crash. As long as you understand what you are compromising, fill your boots.
I think doing major modifications like this might also impact on the airbag deployment in a crash. As has been said Mazda technical engineering team would have tested various materials for the hood to gain the optimum performance.

Also I think one poster mentioned about putting in lighter seats. The CX3 has airbags that deploy from side front seats so you would have to get the seats re-tested for safety or disengage the system. I am not sure if the Mazda Airbag System will operate correctly if the modifier starts disconnecting various systems. You might needs some computer engineering skills to override or choose which system you want to work.
Cyclone1410 and anchorman like this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-31-2016, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Rear seats weight almost next to nothing. Ask me how I know. The fronts are pretty light, save for the steel base made to save you in a massive crash.
Airbags don't weight much, pulled one out of RX-8 seats.
Real weight will be the massive steel hood, and steel suspension arms, etc. The latter will be hard to replace. Not sure but the drive shaft might be CF like RX-8 and Miata NC/ND.
Best place to save is the hood and wheels. Mazda wheels are light, but www.TireRack.com has even lighter. Sort by weight and you will see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode