CX-3 vs. CX 5 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Location: Maranello (Modena - Italy) and Zürich (Switzerland)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CX-3 vs. CX 5

Are there any significant differences between the cx-3 and cx-5 (besides the dimensions and therefore the available space, obviously)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The drive train - engine, gearbox and drive axle are very similar (albeit slightly scaled up) but the biggest difference is in the suspension and running gear which is very much beefier. My CX-3 was on its knees with four adults in but a CX-5 doesn't know five adults are there. It's horses for courses and for my use, the CX-3 is just what I was expecting.
Cyclone1410, mikflores and Claude like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
The drive train - engine, gearbox and drive axle are very similar (albeit slightly scaled up) but the biggest difference is in the suspension and running gear which is very much beefier. My CX-3 was on its knees with four adults in but a CX-5 doesn't know five adults are there. It's horses for courses and for my use, the CX-3 is just what I was expecting.
thank you very much for the explanation!
I thought that the cx-3 could handle pretty easily 4 adults...
perhaps some stiffer suspension could solve this problem

post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
thank you very much for the explanation!
I thought that the cx-3 could handle pretty easily 4 adults...
perhaps some stiffer suspension could solve this problem
I test drove the CX5 against the CX3 and I liked the higher height and spacious back seats and cargo area but I thought the FWD engine was a bit underpowered. + the CX3 gave more tech inclusions where the CX5 you have to option upgrade on many things.

I think you would have to have 4 very small adults to fit into the CX3

Essentially the CX3 is really a single person or couple without children's car. I think if you have any kids over 5 years of age you may struggle for room. Mazda are going after a particular demographic with the CX3 and it aint large families. The CX5 and CX9 cater for that crowd.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties CX-3 View Post
I test drove the CX5 against the CX3 and I liked the higher height and spacious back seats and cargo area but I thought the FWD engine was a bit underpowered. + the CX3 gave more tech inclusions where the CX5 you have to option upgrade on many things.

I think you would have to have 4 very small adults to fit into the CX3

Essentially the CX3 is really a single person or couple without children's car. I think if you have any kids over 5 years of age you may struggle for room. Mazda are going after a particular demographic with the CX3 and it aint large families. The CX5 and CX9 cater for that crowd.
I won't be driving around with 4 adults in the car (if not occasionally and for very short distances). So I suppose this shouldn't be a major problem. Moreover I will be using the car mostly alone / with a passenger...

PS: I went for the cx-3 for the looks of the car and the tech inclusions... (the cx-5 looks a bit too "big" even though it's just some 26/27 cm longer
post #6 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

In Italy you can have the cx-5 awd only with a 2.2 diesel engine...
post #7 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
In Italy you can have the cx-5 awd only with a 2.2 diesel engine...
Australia you have a choice between FWD and AWD in petrol or diesel options for both the CX3 and CX5. Naturally the AWD and diesel cost more so petrol FWD tend to be more popular unless you have a specific need for AWD or doing lots of highway driving which I believe the diesel engine needs.

Some U.S Mazda owners on this forum have been a bit unhappy with not being offered the cheaper FWD versions so maybe Mazda are doing the same in Europe to boost their bottom line.

From a marketing prospective the Australian new car market is very competitive with a population of just under 24 million with various car brands if Mazda Australia told people you can only buy a CX3 AWD consumers would scoff at the prospect of being slugged an extra $2000 to $3000 when there are so many other SUV crossovers at more affordable prices.

Maybe consumers in the U.S and Europe are more willing to part with more money for cars or just want AWD mainly for winter driving in snow. I really do not know the logic under Mazda marketing and what the dealer orders from the factory.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Here you can read a little more about the design overview of the CX-3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf design overview.pdf (891.7 KB, 433 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The day I brought my CX3 home I applied conditioner to the rear seats and folded them down. That was August. The rear seats haven't been up since, except to vacuum the floor. The CX3 is best suited for an empty nester couple. Very comfortable... up front.

Even with only one infant, the CX3 will be challenged transporting the car seat, stroller, diaper bag, playpen, changing table and formula cooler which are all required to drive three miles to grandpas house. Anchorman... How did our parents ever raise our generation to adulthood without all this 'stuff'????
ohgeez and Smarties CX-3 like this.

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents
post #10 of 23 Old 12-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLyveWyre View Post
The day I brought my CX3 home I applied conditioner to the rear seats and folded them down. That was August. The rear seats haven't been up since, except to vacuum the floor. The CX3 is best suited for an empty nester couple. Very comfortable... up front.
I envision the same usage for my CX3 - Just one old guy and all his stuff. (guitars, amplifiers, baggage. etc.)

Right now I am even considering removing the rear seats so that there would be one rather large cargo space behind me. I'll have to look into it soon.
Smarties CX-3 likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode