4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
iActivsense Camera Upgrade / passenger airbag warnings

Deep breath...

I wrote a month or so back about how I though the proximity alert on my CX-3 was a bit flaky (Dodgy, even. Hi Anchorman). I brought it to the dealer and they ran the standard Mazda diagnostic and said they couldn't see anything.
Of course repairmen never want to take it out for a drive -- liability issues, I'm guessing. So I took them at their word and went on with my life. Still a great ride despite all that.

Last week the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) went on and would not go off. Back to the dealer. More diagnostics run, general car firmware upgraded. Could't find anything, but... they ran a newly updated Mazda diagnostic system and found that the iActivsense camera system built into the windshield is actually in need of a hardware upgrade. Said camera upgrade is on order from Mazda Canada (for whatever reasons). Let's see what that offers. If anyone else has had theirs upgraded I'd love to hear your experiences.

Meanwhile airbag warning light came back on the next day. Anyone else had any issues with theirs?

2016 CX-3 Grand Touring AWD i-Activsense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Not had any issues and it's the first I've heard about the hardware - please keep us informed.

There is an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat base. You don't carry anything on the seat do you? Bags or any other items will put the light on. Has the seat ever been subject to any impact or anything spiller on it?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 25 Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I'm curious if the dealer noted any VIN range that may need the hardware upgrade. I wonder if this would fall in recall territory or not. I'm sure us early adopters are curious if we're impacted or not!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My fiancee's hyundai sonata had a occupant sensor underneath the front passeger seat that malfunctioned so her airbag light kept going off. We didn't think of it much at first, but eventually the airbag light and SRS light lit up on the dash. We would have had no airbags in the event of a collision so I think Mazda should really fix it as its a safety concern. If you have a front passenger, they should ride in the back seat as the front passenger airbags will not deploy when it detects a fault.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Camera upgrade is supposed to be here later this week. Will let you know more then. The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that!

Passenger Airbag -- I sometimes keep items on the front seat, but nothing especially heavy. The light went on without anything on it at the time. No impacts and nothing spilled on it. I offer this not as a paranoid rant but as a heads up for anyone who is also experiencing this and freaking out. Mazda service initially tried to insinuate it was normal. I had the manual with me and put a stop to that immediately. More details to come.

Hoping these are remedied to my liking -- it's a fun car to drive around in despite these annoyances.

And a couple old maxims for us early adopters:

"Pioneers get the arrows. Settlers get the land."

"The cutting edge is the bleeding edge."

anchorman likes this.

post #6 of 25 Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX-ME View Post
Deep breath...

Of course repairmen never want to take it out for a drive -- liability issues, I'm guessing. So I took them at their word and went on with my life. Still a great ride despite all that.

Last week the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) went on and would not go off. Back to the dealer. More diagnostics run, general car firmware upgraded. Could't find anything, but... they ran a newly updated Mazda diagnostic system and found that the iActivsense camera system built into the windshield is actually in need of a hardware upgrade. Said camera upgrade is on order from Mazda Canada (for whatever reasons). Let's see what that offers. If anyone else has had theirs upgraded I'd love to hear your experiences.

Meanwhile airbag warning light came back on the next day. Anyone else had any issues with theirs?
That seems a bit odd that a Mazda dealer mechanic would not want to test drive a CX3 once they have checked out the airbag issue and confirmed nothing was wrong. Any reputable mechanic should have insurance along with your own insurance to cover the car for damage while road testing the vehicle for mechanical soundness. In fact I would be pretty concerned if I went in for a full service oil change, electronics such as airbag test, etc and the mechanic was too lazy to road test my car.

The only scenario I can think of where it would not be safe to drive the CX3 is if that airbag light stayed on as the owners manual states you need to get to a mechanic ASAP as your system might not function in an accident or deploy without warning.

Maybe you just got a bad CX3 from the factory that has slipped passed quality control. If you end up having more problems with other system I would be demanding the dealer replace the car IMO.

The only time I see a red airbag light on my CX3 is when I push the start button and it illuminates for a second. Although this one time it stayed illuminated for maybe 2 seconds and then was fine so maybe the computer was doing some random diagnostic check.

Last edited by Smarties CX-3; 12-08-2015 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
CX-ME stated: The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that.

Peek??!!?? Snap a cell phone picture!!!!

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents

Last edited by OneLyveWyre; 12-08-2015 at 05:11 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

G'day Smarties,

Yes, I'm aware the airbag light goes on briefly at start-up. In my case it's just not going off. The red warning airbag light -- which is separate and to the left of the airbag off warning light-- goes on and then off when I open and close the glove compartment. Odd.

I'll know more about this and the iActiv camera upgrade on Monday. I gather today's service technicians (or maybe just the U.S. techs) place too much reliance on their diagnostic software and too little on actual repair smarts. Seeing this increasingly at the Apple Stores as well.[/end editorial]

As one of the first U.S. buyers I'm not surprised to see issues like this pop up and I am insisting they be remediated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties CX-3 View Post
That seems a bit odd that a Mazda dealer mechanic would not want to test drive a CX3 once they have checked out the airbag issue and confirmed nothing was wrong. Any reputable mechanic should have insurance along with your own insurance to cover the car for damage while road testing the vehicle for mechanical soundness. In fact I would be pretty concerned if I went in for a full service oil change, electronics such as airbag test, etc and the mechanic was too lazy to road test my car.

The only scenario I can think of where it would not be safe to drive the CX3 is if that airbag light stayed on as the owners manual states you need to get to a mechanic ASAP as your system might not function in an accident or deploy without warning.

Maybe you just got a bad CX3 from the factory that has slipped passed quality control. If you end up having more problems with other system I would be demanding the dealer replace the car IMO.

The only time I see a red airbag light on my CX3 is when I push the start button and it illuminates for a second. Although this one time it stayed illuminated for maybe 2 seconds and then was fine so maybe the computer was doing some random diagnostic check.

Smarties CX-3 likes this.

post #9 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLyveWyre View Post
CX-ME stated: The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that.

Peek??!!?? Snap a cell phone picture!!!!

I don't think he was going to let me do that, sorry.

post #10 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) is always illuminated when nobody & nothing is in the passenger seat. It stays illuminated for the whole drive. No red airbag light on the main cluster though, and the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light does not appear when I actually have a passenger.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode