44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 137 Old 04-06-2018, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynroth View Post
I just bought a new 2018 CX-3 AWD Touring + Bose/Moonroof package and ordered the Vortex 2500 Black 2 Bar FMP Roof Rack setup. I picked my car up on Monday, the parts should be delivered this Friday, and I'm hoping to do the install myself on Saturday. I haven't been able to find anything about how to properly remove the roof mold without damaging it (1) and (2) which factory holes to be using. I think someone mentioned using the innermost holes (the rear holes within the front set and the front holes within the rear set), but could you please let me know what you used and how you were able to remove the strip? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
If I remember correctly all I did was take one of those plastic trim removal tools (that they sell for interior panels to not damage anything) and pulled from the back end lip of the roof molding and them lifted by hand for the rest of the length. This was done on the basic black molding so I am not sure if yours came with the raise chrome setup already prepped for the oem crossbars or not, just an fyi. It is surprisingly durable so dont worry too much about damaging it and focus more on not scratching the paint or actual roof of the car. Your main challenge will be properly drilling the holes in the molding but the base attachment covers a wide area so even that isnt too much to worry about. I am not sure if there is a difference between 16 and 18 models regarding factory holes but mine only had a front pair and rear pair so there wasent much room to play with for mounting holes. Hope this helps a little.
mainemanx and KMCXThree like this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 137 Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Instructions should come with your rails ... plus, there's an official Mazda roof rails installation pdf somewhere on their site. Gotta' go to bed ... have to get the wife off to Japan tomorrow am ... or I'd look for it now.

Repost if you can't find the pdf :-)

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #133 of 137 Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Really late update but just got around to finishing this up since I have been focused on rebuilding a saturn sky redline atm. Its interesting to see what you can come up with randomly sourced parts on amazon lol. Had to disconnect the relay/switch cables for now until I figure out a way to get a switch inside through the engine bay without taking apart half the engine compartment while also hiding the wires. This is one upside to the rhino rack system at least.
Hey Sly, hate to keep bugging you... Wondering how abouts you retrofitted that sweet led light bar on your xtray? As well as where to pick up the mounts and parts required to do so? Also I take it for granted that light bar is off of Amazon?

Thanks in advance, Drake

post #134 of 137 Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Bond View Post
Hey Sly, hate to keep bugging you... Wondering how abouts you retrofitted that sweet led light bar on your xtray? As well as where to pick up the mounts and parts required to do so? Also I take it for granted that light bar is off of Amazon?

Thanks in advance, Drake
Its depressing that the price is now half of what I paid for it a while back.You dont need these exactly but anything similar dimensions will work. Afterall half of the products online are just rebranded items lol.

Lightbar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1" mounting bracket x2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are going to need a relay to safely wire it and I cant remember for the life of me where I wired it to. I think it may have been tethered off of the cig lighter/port whatever its called nowadays as the aux power to activate the relay supplying power from the battery.

I should warn you that this may or may not be the correct size lightbar you actually get. I went through 4 different "sellers" claiming to have specific dimensions and I got some that were 2" shorter and 1 that was larger than what was suppose to arrive so its a gamble. 31 1/4" is going to be the necessary actual length of the lightbar not taking into account mounts, just the frame. This is also the largest lightbar that can be mounted on the xtray with these mounts. The mounts should attach to the ends of the lightbar and come within a few millimeters of missing the rounded curve on the basket crossbar itself. Also it is not going to be as wide and look like something you might find on a jeep that goes the whole width of the roof. It will sit under the deflector area but extend out a bit. Honestly it was a pain and I removed it after a while because I got a little condensation in the bar itself, the wind noise was ridiculous since the fins on the back cause a high pitch screeching, and wiring is a nightmare to hide cables. Also you never know if you get a lemon that burns out a led after a month or so making it look even more cheap. Also god forbid you dont tighten the screw on the mounting bracket enough or maybe it loosens over time and you get a heavy metal lightbar coming down on your roof and windshield. I ziptied from the on the sides near the back "fin" area to the crossbar under the deflector of the roof basket as a safety "just in case" measure but still after a while it just was not working out for me. Mainly because I wanted to remove it for winter carwashes and the wiring was not going to let me do that so freely lol.

It pains me to say that this was my biggest regret of a mod in the cx-3. I spent so much time buying and returning random parts to make it work, snaking the wires along the basket, roof rail, roof trim piece, down the back, under the car etc. and in the end it was all a waste of time. Id post pictures of it installed but I no longer have any besides what may be on a previous post on this topic. Best of luck if you decide to go down this route.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #135 of 137 Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Its depressing that the price is now half of what I paid for it a while back.You dont need these exactly but anything similar dimensions will work. Afterall half of the products online are just rebranded items lol.

Lightbar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1" mounting bracket x2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are going to need a relay to safely wire it and I cant remember for the life of me where I wired it to. I think it may have been tethered off of the cig lighter/port whatever its called nowadays as the aux power to activate the relay supplying power from the battery.

I should warn you that this may or may not be the correct size lightbar you actually get. I went through 4 different "sellers" claiming to have specific dimensions and I got some that were 2" shorter and 1 that was larger than what was suppose to arrive so its a gamble. 31 1/4" is going to be the necessary actual length of the lightbar not taking into account mounts, just the frame. This is also the largest lightbar that can be mounted on the xtray with these mounts. The mounts should attach to the ends of the lightbar and come within a few millimeters of missing the rounded curve on the basket crossbar itself. Also it is not going to be as wide and look like something you might find on a jeep that goes the whole width of the roof. It will sit under the deflector area but extend out a bit. Honestly it was a pain and I removed it after a while because I got a little condensation in the bar itself, the wind noise was ridiculous since the fins on the back cause a high pitch screeching, and wiring is a nightmare to hide cables. Also you never know if you get a lemon that burns out a led after a month or so making it look even more cheap. Also god forbid you dont tighten the screw on the mounting bracket enough or maybe it loosens over time and you get a heavy metal lightbar coming down on your roof and windshield. I ziptied from the on the sides near the back "fin" area to the crossbar under the deflector of the roof basket as a safety "just in case" measure but still after a while it just was not working out for me. Mainly because I wanted to remove it for winter carwashes and the wiring was not going to let me do that so freely lol.

It pains me to say that this was my biggest regret of a mod in the cx-3. I spent so much time buying and returning random parts to make it work, snaking the wires along the basket, roof rail, roof trim piece, down the back, under the car etc. and in the end it was all a waste of time. Id post pictures of it installed but I no longer have any besides what may be on a previous post on this topic. Best of luck if you decide to go down this route.
Really appreciate all the trouble in providing links and going into depth about the install even if it didn't pan out so great. I have to say when I first saw pics of it on your Cx3 I thought how bada$$! I was really hoping on only spending a little money for a nice lighting setup after seeing your setup. However after reading your post I did some research and found solutions to most issues if not all. Only problem it will be more money than a amazon setup to say the least... So to combat all things mentioned I've got some ideas... For starters with regards to the lighting unit to combat moisture and overall durability I've decided to go with Rigid Industries D-series pro pod lighting they should stand up very nicely to the elements, and the pods should help reduce wind noise. To further better the aerodynamics I'll be experimenting with a few wind deflectors that will house the pods to really eliminate wind issues. As for mounting, the pods being smaller and less weight should give me more versatility for positioning and less stress on the xtray and mounting brackets. Lastly, for the real issue wiring to make life easier I decided best to have a professional shop do wiring I contacted a few places and most were of little use however CAP-It said they could rig up the wiring for the lights with a disconnect so if removal of the xtray was ever needed could be done. They said the easiest option for wiring and most durable would be to drill a hole underneath the roof rack moulding near the A-pillar and run it down the A-pillar. Being professionals they would even mount the switch for it using one of the blank button slots near the traction control, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, buttons. They reassured me no issues would amount with regards to drilling a hole in the roof as they would weatherproof and seal everything up. So now for the cost... Well I was quoted for a complete install of everything mounting and all $500 to $800 dollars Canadian depending on the lighting pods I were to go with and how many and so forth. So definitely more than a $100 to $200 dollar setup from amazon. But you can rest easy knowing it was done right and that you've got a warranty for the lights and a company to hold accountable for any issues...

I haven't gotten it done yet still waiting on my Rhino Vortex Aero Bars and Rhino Xtray to arrive... But if I decided to go through with the setup I'll post some pics for sure and let anyone know if there's any issues I've discovered.

Rigid Industries Lights: https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-se...-d-series.html
SlyCoopers likes this.
post #136 of 137 Old 12-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the factory bars on mine. There is a large curve on the stock cross bars that makes them..challenging to use. I had some Thule hardware around so I started playing with it.
These feet are from a truck topper channel mount. One quick threadsert into the aluminum Mazda rail and done!
Its a little higher than ideal, but only by 1 or 1.5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4452 small.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	21875   Click image for larger version

Name:	@ Small.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	21877  
post #137 of 137 Old 02-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sample View Post
I bought a Whispbar made by Yakima this winter. I believe this is a discontinued product line, but it was available for a good price at the local Yakima dealer and fit the CX-3 perfectly. It can carry snow boards or snow shoes and some camping gear.

Aero Compact Cargo Carrier | Whispbar

Did you buy the rail bars or the flush bars? In other words, are the bars witting on top of the OEM rails (if you have them), or do they attach to the roof.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode