Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

SD card

13K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  JMORAC 
#1 ·
Hey guys - I'm a new owner and have been looking all over for some answers for newbies.

Does the SD card have to be Mazdas or can I use a generic off the rack card? It's for a 2016 model.

I only want it for maps.

Thanks!!!

#4 · (Edited)
I just saw that my car doesn't have the NAV system. Can I still get maps for it or do I need to buy the NAV set up? I don't need the real time tracking... The salesman told me I could just pick up an SD card and upload the maps and I was good to go.

Update: I just got off the phone with the stealership and I was told that without the NAV installed I'm SOL in getting and using maps.

What is y'alls experience?

New Update (lol): I just called corporate and was informed that there is no other equipment needed - just an SD card. She said because I got the car used I may need to pay $75 for the map subscription.

I guess this resolves this issue for me.

#5 ·
Hey guys -

Totally different SD card question -

I was on eBay checking out the selection for these guys and I came across a plethora of different cards claiming to be "authentic".

One said "Made In USA" on the front label, but had "Made in Taiwan" stamped on the back of the card. Others were blank on the back of the card.

Can someone with a working card please describe what they look like? Or post a pic of the front and back? I really don't wanna buy some junk.

#8 ·
I ordered one off of Amazon the other day - $75. It arrived today - popped it in and it worked without an issue. Instantly showed us our current location... no waiting like I've read with some others. Drove it around and it tracked us fine.... Programmed an address and it talked us right to it.

Yee haw!

#19 ·
I ordered one off of Amazon the other day - $75. It arrived today - popped it in and it worked without an issue. Instantly showed us our current location... no waiting like I've read with some others. Drove it around and it tracked us fine.... Programmed an address and it talked us right to it. Yee haw!
I ALSO BOUGHT ONE IN AMAZON FOR US, MEXICO, CANADA AND SOUTH AMERICA MAPS. SYSTEM RECOGNIZED WELL . DID NOT GET THE " INVALID CARD" MESSAGE. UNFORTUNATELLY I AM LOCATED IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND MAPS FOR DR ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THAT CARD. IF SOME ONE KNOWS WICH SD CARD TO BUY THAT HAS THE DR MAPS I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

#18 ·
I found out from a Mazda Technical Bulletin that a Mechanic friend got me, that the SD card in my 2017 Mazda 3 was Manufactured faulty. Mazda knew from at least 2018 but told no one as it's not a safety issue. I had minor problems with the Nav Mode but it didn't bother me as my phone GPS was more accurate so I used that. The fault became worse over time effecting radio selections and reverse camera. Mazda stealership wanted $500 to repair as my car was just outside the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. When I found out about the Technical Bulletin I pointed out that they knew it was faulty way back in January 2018 and my car was less than a year old at that point. Made no difference, they weren't interested. Called Mazda Corporate, same response!

Found the up to date SD card for 2021 on Amazon, $70.00. Took a chance, installed it in 15 seconds. Works perfect!
Mazda stealership wanted $500.00, so much for "after we sell, we serve!
That's my 4th purchased new Mazda, I'll never buy another one!