Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

How do i upgrade the audio - 2019 CX3

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ljtroy2 
#1 ·
Hi, I've just bought a new CX3 (Touring), and I'm surprised how bad the audio is.

I want to improve it.... can I just simply get better speakers installed? Or will I need to replace the head unit to get a noticeable improvement?

I imagine changing the head unit is a big job, and will have warranty implications.

Thanks, I don't know much about cars but love my music!
TMQ
(Melbourne, Aus)

#2 ·
Cheapest way would probably get a shop to install a simple aftermarket amp and maybe new speakers if you want to go for the full set.

Changing the headunit is where the fun gets absolutely chaotic. There are random chinese sellers which make full android os headunits with built in amplifiers (similar to any aftermarket headunit) but cross wiring that and replacing the touchscreen infotainment system with those parts have been uncharted territory. Some older cx-3s in specific regions have just a radio with a volume knob where the touchscreen would normally be and that is what the android headunits are meant to be a replacement for. Unfortunatly the full touchscreen oem models have system settings on it which can change the hud, light, alarm beeps etc of the car so I am not sure what would happen if you disconnect the oem unit there. I feel like one day I might personally go down this route but there is too much risk involved since I dont know if taking out the oem unit is going to cause any issues with the car/codes/lighting etc

#4 ·
Thanks... Doesn't look like the audio upgrade is available here.
And agree the OEM meddling looks risky.
I contacted a few car audio places.... I've had two responses. One suggested just replacing speakers with Coaxial ones, $180 each.
The other proposed a full kit out, for between $3k-$10k!
Replacing the speakers is more in my budget, but not sure how big a difference that will make...?

#7 ·
This is

where the whole problem lies here with Mazda Australia, even our top line model does not come equipped with a Sub, or Bose system, looks like that is only in o/seas versions of the car, what a shame.

I have put in a Connector between the factory TAU wiring, this is what I have used.

MY CAR IS A 2016, please check as the connections may be different in the latest 2019 version.

https://www.cx3forum.com/forum/electronics-audio/13961-active-subwoofer-install.html

Maybe this will be helpfull for future install issues.

My huge gripe also with the Factory System is that is has Bass Roll Off, so we don't damage speakers at high volume, that plays a part also with hooking aftermarket stuff up.

There is some good helfull advise on this Forum Link, as others have done Stereo upgrades.

Darren

#10 ·
IMHO upgrading the speakers a must. I added component Alpine S-S65C in the front door/dash and coaxial Alpine SPE-6000 in the rear doors. Next was to add an Alpine KTA-450 Power Pack (installs descretey behind glove box), an Audio control LC7i lineout converter (installed under driver seat). For bass I installed an Alpine Type-R 10" inside a Sound Ordnance BB10-1V, powered by an Alpine MRP-M650 (installed next to spare tire).

Attachments

#11 ·
Nice Install,
Can you tell us what model Car your one is, as there is different options for different countries as well.
Did you have the Bose system fitted prior to this upgrade, and if all possible where did you get the Wiring from to go to your LOC, I used a PAC AOEM-MAZ2 which connected to the Factory Plug into the Tuner Amp Control Unit.
Did you happen to write down the Colors for the Speaker Wires, if you had to tap into them, and also does this LOC you are using does it eliminate the Factory Bass Roll Off.
This roll off is something that really annoys me, as the louder I increase the Vol, the less bass I am getting.

Cheers for the pics as well, thats a big enclosure.

Darren
Sydney, Australia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.