User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was MAD at Mazda Nav on my 2019 CX-3

Yeah. So mad. I was driving my wife's 2019 Soul Red CX-3 GT cross country and I stretch my fuel range to the near amber warning of (I guess) 25 miles. I set a way point for a Shell gas station along my route. I prefer Shell gas because I have a Fuel Rewards card with Shell. Anyway, the Nav told me to exit the highway and turn right on the second intersection and right again then arrive at the destination on the right. Well it was not a Shell gas station! Instead, it was a tire or muffler shop. Darn, I only have 22 miles on my fuel range reading and the amber light was already on! I had to set another way point for another (any) gas station - luckily there was one no-name brand a couple of blocks farther.

I wish I have Apple Carplay on this 2019 CX-3. I have it on my 2019 CX-5 but I usually use the Mazda Nav while I have YouTube on my iPhone. Now, with my horrible experience with the Mazda Nav on my wife's CX-3, I will be using navigation app on my iPhone in my CX-5.

CRC

Last edited by firefox111; 06-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I think you set yourself up for failure.
ghmpm likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
We use that feature on our system all the time and works fine. I am guessing that there was a Shell there at some point... Try not to push so close to the end of tank and if you do DON'T; be picky about the fuel with 25 miles left!!! LOL But if this is just an excuse to use your phone then I guess you have it!!!

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

post #4 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
We use that feature on our system all the time and works fine. I am guessing that there was a Shell there at some point... Try not to push so close to the end of tank and if you do DON'T; be picky about the fuel with 25 miles left!!! LOL But if this is just an excuse to use your phone then I guess you have it!!!
I see that some people were mentioning the low 25 mile range. The biggest flaw, imo, of the CX-3 is the absolutely tiny gas tank... especially on the AWD models. The OP said cross country trip, and depending on driving style and location that could easily mean he just traveled 275 miles. I am not one to push my cars to the yellow fuel light, but it happens almost every time in the CX-3 on long trips.

Current Stable: 2016 Mazda CX-3 AWD; 2017 Volvo V60 AWD; 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata; 2009 Yamaha FZ6; 2007 Hyundai Accent; 1989 Jeep Comanche
post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
I think you set yourself up for failure.
You mean “failure” because I am stretching my range? I know what I’m doing even on my long motorcycle rides. I plan my route well. City drivers may not dare stretch their range when they go for a road trip! I was just mad because the GPS led me to a wrong destination.

CRC
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGrayMSM View Post
I see that some people were mentioning the low 25 mile range. The biggest flaw, imo, of the CX-3 is the absolutely tiny gas tank... especially on the AWD models.
You are correct, lots of people complain about the size of the fuel tank. We have had our CX since Jan 2016 and have never had an issue with the tank. We get over 30+ MPG on the highway with our AWD, usually closer to 34, that equates over 300 miles to a tank. At my age my bladder dictates a stop long before that!!!
DaveInAZ likes this.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE

Wickenburg, AZ
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
Yes, there was a Shell there at some point in time but what I am expecting that the Mazda Navigation is up to date. A couple of days before I left I updated the SD card because there was already an available update.

From this 3,675 mile road trip in my CX-3, I learned that on normal weather condition, I will not go over 280 miles to a gas stop, with head wind, my limit is 255 miles, and with tail wind, I go 300 miles. This with around 70 to 80 miles per hour on adaptive cruise. And I always watch my remaining range and I make sure that there is an alternate gas station within my remaining miles left.

I also relieve my bladder at each fuel stop, and maybe some food.

Enjoy your CX-3.
ghmpm likes this.

CRC
post #8 of 13 Old 06-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox111 View Post
Yes, there was a Shell there at some point in time but what I am expecting that the Mazda Navigation is up to date. A couple of days before I left I updated the SD card because there was already an available update.

From this 3,675 mile road trip in my CX-3, I learned that on normal weather condition, I will not go over 280 miles to a gas stop, with head wind, my limit is 255 miles, and with tail wind, I go 300 miles. This with around 70 to 80 miles per hour on adaptive cruise. And I always watch my remaining range and I make sure that there is an alternate gas station within my remaining miles left.

I also relieve my bladder at each fuel stop, and maybe some food.

Enjoy your CX-3.
I understand your dilemma, in a perfect world our GPS's would be perfectly updated. But I have yet to find one like that, be it OEM, Garmin, Magellan or on my phone. My Nissan has the newest SD card but is still not perfect. But all in all they are quite helpful. We recently completed a 3000 mile trip in the CX and it did well even though it had the Dec 2018 update. Ours works much better when searching for lodging, I guess hotels/motels don't move/go out of business as much as fuel stations. Enjoy your Soul Red, personally I LOVE that color!!!

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE

Wickenburg, AZ
post #9 of 13 Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am not a fan of the Mazda Nav. I just use Google maps on my phone. Always updated.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed5275 View Post
I am not a fan of the Mazda Nav. I just use Google maps on my phone. Always updated.
Yep, that's what I'm going to do. My wife and I are going to do a 1, 750 mile trip this Saturday in my 2019 CX-5. I am going to use G-Map on Apple Carplay instead of the Mazda Nav.

My wife loves the CX-3 especially the Soul Red but I told her that she should detach herself from it. We'll see.

CRC