3Likes
  • 3 Post By santa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2019 - locked when engine was on

Weird thing happened today. Opened the driver side door, turned the car on to get the AC running. I'd just put my 2 month old son in the backseat. Had to go to the trunk, so I left the driver seat and shut the door. Took the key with me (in my pocket). The engine was still on. The car locked and it would not unlock either with the fob or pressing the button on either the driver or passenger side handle. Had a brief panic buc browser shareit appvn
ecause my infant son is now locked in a car in Texas (luckily with AC on at least).

Luckily, the trunk still opened. My wife was able to crawl in the trunk and reach over and unlock a backseat door manually. From there, she got in the backseat and was able to manually unlock the passenger door. And from there able to reach over and manually unlock the driver side door.

The whole time the key fob could lock, but not unlock, the car. And the unlock button on the driver and passenger doors (inside the car) also didn't work then or later while driving.

So luckily I didn't have to break a window, but was starting to consider it. Clearly I will be extra careful about not closing the door with a baby in the backseat before taking it to the shop. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen..

Last edited by askme77; 06-20-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Sounds like a weird thing to happen.
If it happens again, remember that there should be an actual key hidden inside the fob (at least in Europe but I'm thinking you also have this in the US), use this to manually unlock the door.
TiGrayMSM, Jroper and DaveInAZ like this.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom's 2012 Civic managed to lock itself with the damn keys + dog inside the car. It wasn't running or terribly hot, but Christ it was infuriating. Had to call some "locksmith" to bend the door frame with one of those whoopie cushion devices. Thank god japanese cars bend like aluminum cans & didn't do too much damage, but seriously... These "convenience" features are infuriating & far more trouble than they're worth.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I once had my Golden Retriever securely lock all four doors with the key inside in my Subaru Forester, leaving me outside talking with a fellow hiker in a complete panic. It too was a hot summer day with the sun beating down. I was tempted to get a rock and smash one of the windows - I really loved that dog! Luckily the hiker that I was with offered to drive me home to get the spare keys and come back to retrieve my retriever before she got completely dehydrated. That was a bad day that could have been a lot worse.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
Sounds like a weird thing to happen.
If it happens again, remember that there should be an actual key hidden inside the fob (at least in Europe but I'm thinking you also have this in the US), use this to manually unlock the door.
Yes, the US models have the key hidden inside the fob.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode