CX-3 vs. CX-5 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CX-3 vs. CX-5

I'm in the market for my first ever new car and am completely stumped between the two. I need the AWD so other models are out of the question and I love the KODO design and interior of both.

MSRP had about a 2K difference between GT trims of both (for CX-3 I'm including activesense too since that is standard on the 5 GT). At a 2K difference I'd just as soon get the bigger, more comfortable 5. However, I'm getting quotes on the 3 for thousands off, compared to 300-400 off for the 5. Thus making the new difference about 4.5-5K.

I plan on having the car for about 10 years and I don't anticipate needing the extra space (i.e. Start a family) during that time. It's making it really hard to justify that much extra cash for space I don't need even if it would be a better long term "future proof" choice.https://discord.software/ fetLife itunes

I've test driven both and thought the cx-3 was nice but obviously the 5 was more comfortable. Would love to hear from any cx-3 or 5 owners on their thoughts.

Last edited by TrevorNoah; 06-10-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
If you need AWD, there's also the 2019 Mazda 3.

I like my CX-3 but we adopted a 75lb dog in addition to our 50lb dog and it gets pretty cramped when we have to take the dogs + luggage.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
If you need AWD, there's also the 2019 Mazda 3.

I like my CX-3 but we adopted a 75lb dog in addition to our 50lb dog and it gets pretty cramped when we have to take the dogs + luggage.
Yikes! I would think a CX-9 would be more practical for a passenger list like yours. Me, I'd go for a Subaru Ascent and two crates riding in back.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Yikes! I would think a CX-9 would be more practical for a passenger list like yours. Me, I'd go for a Subaru Ascent and two crates riding in back.
Eh, it's not so bad with the seats down, really. Just a few extra cubic feet of space for luggage would be nice. The big problem is that the big dog wants to be pilot, co-pilot, and flight engineer all at the same time. Having 75lbs of German Shepherd mix trying to sit in my and/or my wife's laps (sometimes at the same time) can make driving interesting.

No way I want anything larger than a CX-5 (and even that's pushing it) living in Chicago. I like the maneuverability of a smaller vehicle here.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2019, 01:22 AM

I said the same thing but there are times I miss the space. Do you want to take a 50+ inch TV home with you from Best Buy? How about any furniture longer than an end table? What about biking, do you want a "real" bike rack (the accessory hitch is...err.) or better yet, actually fit an adult bike in the back without actually taking it apart. Don't get me wrong, I make due and the space issue only comes up occasionally (I just don't take my bike with me and all my TVs are 43"). The trunk can also fill up quick. A couple bottles of cleaner, some steel toe boots and a knapsack and you're done.

That being says due to the size driving and parking it is a dream. It also looks waaay better than the CX-5 IMO.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-29-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorNoah View Post
I'm in the market for my first ever new car and am completely stumped between the two. I need the AWD so other models are out of the question and I love the KODO design and interior of both.

MSRP had about a 2K difference between GT trims of both (for CX-3 I'm including activesense too since that is standard on the 5 GT). At a 2K difference I'd just as soon get the bigger, more comfortable 5. However, I'm getting quotes on the 3 for thousands off, compared to 300-400 off for the 5. Thus making the new difference about 4.5-5K.

I plan on having the car for about 10 years and I don't anticipate needing the extra space (i.e. Start a family) during that time. It's making it really hard to justify that much extra cash for space I don't need even if it would be a better long term "future proof" choice.https://discord.software/ fetLife itunes

I've test driven both and thought the cx-3 was nice but obviously the 5 was more comfortable. Would love to hear from any cx-3 or 5 owners on their thoughts.
The only reason why I got the CX-3 back in 2016 was the new CX-5 did not come out till sometime in 2017. No big regrets getting mine though but I wish I got the AWD instead as it would be easier driving through thicker snow with it.

I plan to upgrade in about 2-3 years time and my next one would probably be a Tesla or a Mazda EV.

Mazda CX-3 GX Sport FWD
post #7 of 8 Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a massive car before my CX3. It was a kia grand carnival and was heavy on fuel and everyone wanted me to pick up and deliver stuff. So when looking I wanted a small car. Yes I have kids but my youngest 2 are small and the oldest ones have there own cars. I wanted a classy looking car that fit just enough. I dont need AWD as here in Adelaide it never snows. I guess it will depend if you expect to need to move things or not at buying large screen tv's. But i think well if I can get it delivered i will. I no longer do large shopping trips with shops right next to my gym my sons car has a tow bar and I still own a trailer. So we are fine for when we do need to move things around.
As for comfort i find the CX3 perfect for me.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
If we give up on the CX3 (and no plans to do so) we would likely get a CX5 for a bit more room and same great looks! Presently I have a Nissan Frontier that hauls anything big including my utility trailer. But the fuel mileage sucks big time ( a truck after all). Therefore the 32-34 MPG on my wife's CX3 is quite welcome! A good combo for us, Nissan for hauling stuff and the CX for fuel economy! And both are comfortable on long trips.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode