LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
45000 mile report

45000 mile report – 2017 Sport – AWD – Soul Red
I love this little car. I commute about 40 miles per day with half country and half city driving. Getting around 31 mpg combined. I have also had several 500+ mile trips on the highway where I regularly see 38 mpg. I’ve driven it through rain, snow, mountains, back country rough gravel roads. It is not a true 4 wheel drive, but it has handled everything very well.

I have only had one annoying repair and that was replacing the lower plastic trim under the driver’s side. I realize now I lost it when bottoming out over a rough railroad track. I see several others have also lost these trim pieces. Should have been made a little more robust.

No discernable problems with interior other than minor wear items. Keep it clean and it looks pretty much mint except the scuffs on the door from hitting it with my shoes. I have the center arm rest which I love when commuting but hate when I have a drink. Caution if you have a Styrofoam cup with a straw in it and lower the armrest, it will punch the straw straight through the bottom of the cup.

Radio and navi are OK. A little too complex for some of the features, but I'm not going to nit-pick on capabilities I rarely use them anyway. I love the command wheel for everything except entering an address. No, it doesn’t have Car Play or Android Auto, but the provided navi works fine, so I don’t really need them.

I have heard in reviews and from some others that there is not enough interior space. We are a family of 4 adults all under 5’ 10” and it has never failed to deliver us anywhere we want to go. Respectfully, any time I hear people comment that a vehicle is ‘too small’ I just think that they should have purchased the next larger vehicle.

Just replaced my tires for the first time. All I can say about the original Toyos is ‘they were adequate’. Kind of noisy, adequate grip and stopping power for commuter work. I put on a set of slightly larger Continental TrueContacts. Much quieter and better handling in every respect so far. And being a little bigger makes them look so much better in the wheel wells. I liked how it handled before and love how it handles now.

Zero problems with the engine. When in the city portion of my commute I often switch over to sport mode and turn off the traction control to make it easier to accelerate in traffic. It is very easy to get in and out of parking areas and through parking decks. And it looks just so awesome walking out to it shimmering red in a sea of gray cars.

Looks like we have decided to keep this car for the long haul.

Last edited by NCDesmo; 05-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Very nice report. You covered many details and I am very pleased that the car is treating you well. I too had a 2017 AWD CX-3 (GT trim) and, like you, saw 30+ mpg combined on a regular basis. I also had an issue with the driver's side lower plastic trim which was attributed to slush piling up and freezing on the mud flap and causing the trim it was attached to to pull away. Not the best design obviously. Went thru three northeast winters with it and, like yours, had no issues at all navigating snow, sleet, ice, whatever was put down by the whims of nature. Mine came with the Yokohama Avids. I had no complaints about them; after almost 20K miles, they still look good with at least another 20K of tread left. Kinda got used to the slotted armrest, but had I kept the car, I definitely would have invested in the Mazda Europe armrest. I traded it in on a CX-5 two months ago due to changing needs (does happen), plus my arthritis necessitated a higher car with more room. Though I love my new CX-5, I do still kinda miss my CX-3 too. Continued best wishes and happy driving to you.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Now that you mention it, the tires were Yokohamas. Still, the Continentals drive so much better.

Glad your CX-3 met you needs at the time. They really are great little cars.

My wife's car is a 2010 CX-7 Sport non-turbo that runs just fine. With 205k on the clock it has had a modest amount of maintenance over the years. New shocks, rotors, hubs, brakes, both front door handles replaced, a couple of recalls, but nothing too serious. The engine starts and runs like the day we bought it. If it ever wears out she would like a get a CX-5.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode