User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
CX-30 Anyone?

Looks like they addressed a lot of issues, and styling is more like a CX5. I like it!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/m...va-motor-show/

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Not sure why they would release it as a new model fit between 2 models where it looks more like the cx-5 with more bottom plastic trim but also like what the next generation of cx-3 might have been. Im all about expanding your portfolio but I cant see this replacing the cx-3 in the states when it looks basically like a next model year-ish cx-5. Theyre playing with the crossover theme too much and keep inching it into suv-size (lets call the cx-5 an suv). Pricing will probably be more than the cx-3 and something will have to differentiate it from the cx-5. So this will probably nerf future features on the cx-3 to make the '30' more appealing,if it doesnt get discontinued and replaced .

If they marketed it as a different car by maybe starting a new 2 letter surname lineup, it could have potential but there doesnt seem to be anything NEW to the table here in my view lol. I think the best example is the hyundai kona, its definitly unique but isnt just an exterior touch up version of the santa fe , it had features that distinguished it from the other hyundais and a really different look. Also mazda marketing is obsessed with its "design and the way the light moves when it reflects off the car" thats nice and all but its not gonna stop rock chips or bird poop from taking care of business. But I think the most important question here is , Can it be lifted?

Reminds me of the 'luxury brand' syndrome, all models will eventually start to look the same that noone can tell them apart and very little actually distinguishes it except how much money you were ripped off by getting baited to get the highest trim package when the next model up has more offered in its base package.

Personally the cx-3 for me filled a very unique niche, fuel efficient awd crossover with no cvt transmission and its compact and can take offroad abuse even though it was not intended for such. Now its like mazda is trying to make new cars saying "LOOK AT OUR VISION AND THE WAY THE LIGHT REFLECTSSSSSSSSSS". Im all for innovation but there has to be an actual practical incentive for people to upgrade or to not go to a competing brand. If something ever happened to the cx-3 I would probably gravitate towards a crosstrek or even the kona. Strange enough they offer more freedom for tinkering but then again most people just want a car that runs and wont want to modify anything haha.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 03-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 PM

----
"We need to study whether we will have a Signature version," he said, admitting that, "The Mazda brand is trying to shift to Mazda premium."
----

Well that explains the whole 'lets make all our cars look the same' scenario from before. This roughly translates to we want to charge more for basically the same car with minor alterations.

Hyundai tried the luxury brand genesis name in its own hyundai lineup and it crashed pretty hard considering the vehicles lost their value inline with the rest of the lower tier models. They eventually made their own 'genesis' brand completely separate as a luxury brand and Ive yet to see any of those cars on the road today. It will be interesting to see how this plays into mazdas future since premium branding will most definitly come with higher pricing.

Edit:
Lol dont mind the rant, Im slightly salty at the current state of automotive companies.

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 03-07-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Extra salt

post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ya I hear you man...but part of this change to the “30” makes me think that there are future plans to axe the CX3 line all together.
When I was at the dealership servicing my ‘18, there was a ‘19 in the showroom with the new console (added armrest etc...). I jokingly said for the salesman to keep my car and just give me the 2019 for the console upgrade he flat out said “no man! wait for the style and body changes” (my car is a lease) and then trade it in.
Now the CX30 comes out in 2020 which kind of hints at the CX3 being axed altogether in favour of the 30. I could be wrong though.
If not, I do like the fact that the CX will be a bit bigger but no so much as the CX5; along with all of the things that we have wanted in the CX3.
Time will tell I guess. We also have the option of the new All Wheel Drive Mazda 3 to consider as well for those of us in the non-front-wheel-drive market.
Now....if only they’d make a version with a full anti-slip on/off button heheh

post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 PM

I have this strange premonition that its going to turn into a double digit numbering to "compete" with brands like infiniti.
-Is that a miata?
- Oh No no nooo, You must mean our 'award winning' mx-50.

On the bright side at least they arent doing cringey commercials like chevrolets 'real people' ads here in the states. Those are terrible and just plain lies to the point chevy almost got sued for saying they are better and more reliable than toyota, honda, and ford etc lol. This guy does a good rendition of that banned commercial so you can see what I mean haha.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think it was Car and Driver that explained the CX-30 would have naturally been named the CX-4, as it slots between the 3 and 5, but there's already a CX-4 in China. They didn't want to muddy that up, so they.. created an entirely NEW naming scheme. Seems to me they're dividing up what was already a smallish market niche, which will lead to buyer confusion and eventual reduction of model lines. Picture should be clearer by 21-22 model years.

Last edited by jonh611; 03-20-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Edit: CX-4 name is used in China, not Japan
post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh611 View Post
I think it was Car and Driver that explained the CX-30 would have naturally been named the CX-4, as it slots between the 3 and 5, but there's already a CX-4 in Japan. They didn't want to muddy that up, so they.. created an entirely NEW naming scheme. Seems to me they're dividing up what was already a smallish market niche, which will lead to buyer confusion and eventual reduction of model lines. Picture should be clearer by 21-22 model years.
In Europe the CX-3 is actually Mazdas second biggest seller, only the CX-5 sells in greater numbers (combined they make up half the numbers Mazda sells in Europe).
Problem is, that the CX-3 is smaller than the mainstream SUVs (mainly Nissan Qashqai) and the CX-5 is bigger. The CX-30 fits that segment perfectly.
I'll be suprised if the CX-3 drops out completely but maybe it'll be renamed CX-20 with the next generation (as it's based on the 2).

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
I have this strange premonition that its going to turn into a double digit numbering to "compete" with brands like infiniti.
-Is that a miata?
- Oh No no nooo, You must mean our 'award winning' mx-50.

On the bright side at least they arent doing cringey commercials like chevrolets 'real people' ads here in the states. Those are terrible and just plain lies to the point chevy almost got sued for saying they are better and more reliable than toyota, honda, and ford etc lol. This guy does a good rendition of that banned commercial so you can see what I mean haha.
Lmao! Great ad. No, we get the normal “5 trucks to choose from” version in Canada. Usually plays during NHL tv time outs

PS... GO FLAMES!!!!!!

post #9 of 11 Old 03-24-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I visited the Mazda stand at Geneva. The CX30 is pretty. That colour suits it well and I can see it replacing our CX3 next year, which we bought 4 years ago.

There's a bit more plastic cladding than my taste, but hopefully helps protect the bodywork.

Have a great weekend.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Oh man thats alot of side skirt plastic. Im pretty certain now that mazda does not know what to do with/market the car as at this point. I cant see it as a cheapo economy crossover nor as an 'offroad' looking vehicle since its too well orientated in mazdas new 'luxurious looking' city driver vision. Which begs the question now that what is the use of a cx-5 if this falls alot closer in line to it? They look like they are just throwing ideas into a bucket and this came out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode