• 1 Post By TiGrayMSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Cracked bumper, feeling bummed

And there it is, months after driving it brand new off the dealer, my bumper is now cracked, courtesy of compacted snow, which basically turned into ice.

I was driving down a narrow residential when suddenly a car turns into the street so I drive closer to the curb to make room for him, when my car slid between the two ice grooves carved by other cars and I couldn't steer out of it, so I hit a snow back at like 15 mph. I didn't think much of it because it barely made any noise, nor did it feel like a hard impact, but after assessing the damage, I am now the proud owner of a cracked bumper. Crack is about 8 inches long and it runs from the bottom of where the wheel arch meets the front bumper, to around where the fog lights would be. It's contained in the black portion of the bumper and barely visible, but I am still incredibly bummed as I just bought this car less than half a year ago.

/rant

2018 CX-3 Sport AWD Snowflake White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Yah, stuff like that is infuriating.

If it's just the bumper cover that's cracked and the crash bar, foam, and electronics are all intact, you can get a new unpainted cover for under $200. Then have a body shop paint it for you (or leave it unpainted for that rugged off-road look) and swap it yourself. If the CX-3 is like every other recent car I've owned, the bumper covers are held on with eleventy billion plastic push-pins and a few screws so I doubt you'll need any special tools to DIY.
McDunkinY likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
If it is just the black part that is cracked, I would try to come up with a way to repair it. You can maybe then cover the repair with some sort of wrap. This kind of stuff will happen, and the first damage is always heart breaking. I would stay away from replacement bumpers (unless you buy a Mazda replacement) if possible. Then you have to deal with matching the paint, and since they will not blend the other panels, the likelihood of a mismatch is high. Best of luck!!
McDunkinY likes this.

Current Stable: 2016 Mazda CX-3 AWD; 2017 Volvo V60 AWD; 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata; 2009 Yamaha FZ6; 2007 Hyundai Accent; 1989 Jeep Comanche

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode