LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moose test at 77kmh

I thought I bought me a save car......
Not happy with this result
I hope that something can be done about this.

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/watch-...in-moose-test/

Last edited by dorrus; 02-16-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
My first thought is revised shocks/struts and updated ESC programming.

We can do the first one ourselves but the second is a little more problematic.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Wow! This actually happened to me when I was travelling on Hwy #401 in Southern Ontario when my car was almost new. Actually I believe the fault should lie with an unresponsive Blind Spot warning indicator. I wanted to pass a transport going at a snail pace, and checked my rearview inside and outside, could see nothing dangerous and there was no warning from the BSM warning indicator. So I pulled out and heard a screech of tires behind and to my left and a horn blast. So I hit the brakes and tried to pull back in behind the transport and my car did the same dance as indicated in those pictures. Not fun, but I was able to wrestle the car back into my control. So fault lies with the BSM and ESC (Oh, the driver? He is of course blameless )

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Geezer; 02-17-2019 at 04:47 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2019, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am not that worried about it. It was able to do 78km which is good. The new Suzuki Jimny did 68km, the Miata 80 km and the Porsche 718 did 84 km. The Juke Nismo was way worse than the CX-3 - the Nismo Juke got 75 km. Most likely it is only CX-3 with 18 in wheels that would experience the rear hop. The 16 in should be fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I have bought a cx3 with 18 inch wheels.
Could another brand tire possibly bring some improvement? I've got toyo's
post #6 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
W.t.f

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
I am not that worried about it. It was able to do 78km which is good. The new Suzuki Jimny did 68km, the Miata 80 km and the Porsche 718 did 84 km. The Juke Nismo was way worse than the CX-3 - the Nismo Juke got 75 km. Most likely it is only CX-3 with 18 in wheels that would experience the rear hop. The 16 in should be fine.
are you saying that you tried to do this, and can compare it to other cars, how can you claim that this is ok, and that 16" will make it better, W.T.F.

What and why would you even consider posting something like this, is beyond comprehension.

There is so so many variables that there is to consider in anything like this, every situation is different, every car/driver is different.

I am from over here in Australia, yes we don't have Moose, we have big MOFO kangaroo which can do some serious damage to anything, what would be better for this type of discussion is would we all be better off attending a driver education/coaching course to better our car control, in case we need to do some evasive driving.
dorrus likes this.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Anyway, apart from the appearance, I chose the cx3 because I assumed it was a safe car.
During the many reviews on the internet it always came up that the roadholding and handling were so good. Partly for this reason, this moosetest is simply disappointing.
Good driver or not, the outcome of the test is not good, I would rather have seen it differently.
You can not be satisfied with this as a cx3 owner,
And there are no moose in the Netherlands either, but a toddler can also cross the road. In that case, I want to be able to rely on my car. We do not all have the skills of a formula one driver
I know I have not

Last edited by dorrus; 02-19-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
are you saying that you tried to do this, and can compare it to other cars, how can you claim that this is ok, and that 16" will make it better, W.T.F.

What and why would you even consider posting something like this, is beyond comprehension.

There is so so many variables that there is to consider in anything like this, every situation is different, every car/driver is different.

I am from over here in Australia, yes we don't have Moose, we have big MOFO kangaroo which can do some serious damage to anything, what would be better for this type of discussion is would we all be better off attending a driver education/coaching course to better our car control, in case we need to do some evasive driving.
No I haven't done it, but if you look at the other videos from km77 (group that did the moose test) you would see that it is not "that" bad. The Renegade was a lot worse. The suspension hop does suck, but the grip and the speed was actually not bad a all. I prefer a 75 km with wheel hop that a 71 km skidding.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
No I haven't done it, but if you look at the other videos from km77 (group that did the moose test) you would see that it is not "that" bad. The Renegade was a lot worse. The suspension hop does suck, but the grip and the speed was actually not bad a all. I prefer a 75 km with wheel hop that a 71 km skidding.
agreed and glad that you have not tried to emulate this test.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
agreed and glad that you have not tried to emulate this test.

Thanks for clearing this up.
I did some more informal research, and it seems that the wheel hop can be avoided by using 16 in wheels paired with better tires. The 18 in do not have a strong enough sidewall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode