• 1 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mazda accessory hitch question

Hi

I emailed my local Mazda about their accessory hitch and how it says it can't be used for towing. I asked if they had a Class 1 option and they said that the accessory hitch is Class 1 and Class 1 hitches can't be used for towing. The Curt hitch you can find online is a Class 1 and it is rating to tow 2000 pounds. So I am confused. Does anybody have experience with the "accessory hitch"? Is it just some flimsy bracket they bolt on or is similar to the aftermarket offerings like curt that extend the width of the vehicle?

I don't plan on using it for towing anyhow, just a bike rack but I would much rather have my bikes supported by something durable and rated for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcmvox View Post
Hi

I emailed my local Mazda about their accessory hitch and how it says it can't be used for towing. I asked if they had a Class 1 option and they said that the accessory hitch is Class 1 and Class 1 hitches can't be used for towing. The Curt hitch you can find online is a Class 1 and it is rating to tow 2000 pounds. So I am confused. Does anybody have experience with the "accessory hitch"? Is it just some flimsy bracket they bolt on or is similar to the aftermarket offerings like curt that extend the width of the vehicle?

I don't plan on using it for towing anyhow, just a bike rack but I would much rather have my bikes supported by something durable and rated for towing.

This a perfect question for why we add our location to our profile.
If you get a chance, please do so.

In Canada, for some reason, towing is not allowed, same vehicle, same hitch around the world is used for small boats and utility trailers.

Appears to be location specific
sippffo likes this.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

In Canada, for some reason, towing is not allowed, same vehicle, same hitch around the world is used for small boats and utility trailers.

Thanks! That is good to know, and yes I am from Canada.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

I am over here in Australia, firstly I was doing this exact thing, I could not justify paying the price that a Mazda Hitch was, also the Mazda one for memory has a Fixed Tongue set up.

I did not want to go that way, and plus I had a Hitch Mount Bike Rack that was made to suit either 1.25" or 2" receivers. It was cheaper for me to Import a Curt Hitch over to me, I installed it myself and all good.

This is from MY experience ONLY:

Firstly, I have never seen how the Mazda one bolts to the Car, so can not make comment on that one.

Secondly, the Curt bolts on via 2x small Bumper support bracket bolts, these are only spot welded and not through the Chassis Rails, there is another Bolt which goes through the original tow hook on the car, rendering it useless.

Also another thing to consider is you have to run a Support Strap when using these type of Hitches (there is a warning stated) with any sort of weight hanging off the back of them.

The following is FROM MY OWN PERSONAL CAR EXPERIENCES, others may have had no issues.

Yes they do have some movement in them, I could move my Rack when installed into the hitch up and down movement, this caused some creaking sounds, I found that the Curt Hitch was rubbing on the Factory Mazda Jack Up Point located under the rear centre of car, this is where the noise came from, metal on metal.

I have since removed my Hitch from my car, I have genuine Mazda Roof Racks now and two Thule 599 Racks.

AGAIN all this is from my personal experiences, and should be for reference purpose only, hope this is helpful for all.

Darren

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode