• 1 Post By SlyCoopers
  • 1 Post By carmencx3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
remote starter

Hi everyone …..maybe I am doing something wrong, when I remote start my car in the cold , and with the car running and I open the door the car shuts off ?? then I have to get in and restart the engine , my old car I could open the door get in and the engine would still be running ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2019, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmencx3 View Post
Hi everyone …..maybe I am doing something wrong, when I remote start my car in the cold , and with the car running and I open the door the car shuts off ?? then I have to get in and restart the engine , my old car I could open the door get in and the engine would still be running ???
You are not doing something wrong.

As soon as you open the door the cars shuts off. - They say for security reasons and I think to myself; this is the same car that beeps a lot when I walk away with it running, and anyone can drive off.

I imagine if one tries hard enough, we can complicate the key recognition.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Seems pretty normal operation as mine does the same and is aftermarket.

Push to start cars have generally 2(maybe more?) versions of remote starters- fully integrated oem remote starters and aftermarket additions even if done by oem. The latter is generally what happens when a model lineup does not have remotestarters included in their entire trim packages and must be added since its more cost efficient. Only thoroughly integrated oem remote starters from the factory mainly on luxury or newer cars like the terrible 2019 chevy equinox loaner I used, have the oem remote starter setup where the car will remain on after you get in and then re-senses the key fob when you go to press the "start" button without turning the car off. These cars are built with this feature in mind and either come with it by default or have everything already included but are missing a control module which they could sell to you through a addon package.

Not sure about 2019 cx-3 but the older mazdas did not come with remote starter setup fully integrated into the car programming and was more of an aftermarket installation even if done through the dealer. Aftermarket setups almost always have the auto shutoff once the driver door opens to prevent the car from being stolen because the car isnt started in a reduced operation mode but is actually started to drive off. If you have someone in the driver seat and you leave with the key fob and remote start the car while theyre still in it, they can technically drive away because mazda does not do any secondary checks if the keyfob is in the car or not and cant tell the difference if the car was remote started or actually started. Once the door opens the remote starter "box" drops the ignition connection and then leaves it on the previous state of the car which is off. This is similar to a remote starter for older cars with manual key ignitions, where the key has to be in the ON position before the brake is depressed but since theres no manual key to be in the on position the car reverts to the state prior to remote starting which is off.

I would imagine if you wanted to really mess with rewiring it you could install a brake cancel switch which is usually the installation route for the manual key cars but then youd still have to figure out how to handle the ignition pass over since theres no easy wiring around it like how its done with the manual key. Then it involves tapping into the original protocol for turning on the car and its more of a hassle and security issue as you get into.
carmencx3 likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Ya this is a good question.
I had mine installed at the dealership before delivery (2018 model). Compustar G15 Two-Way aftermarket thrown in with the new purchase of the car.
Although it works amazingly well, I get both situations for some reason.
If it’s started and I get in via the drivers door, it stays on with the basics running (heat, bum warmer). Pressing the brake, the rest comes on but the engine doesn’t shut off.

Now, if I open any other door first, or open and close the drivers door without pressing the brake; it all shuts down. I just assumed it’s an odd feature but, who knows.

All that being said, there has only been a couple times where I’ve only opened the drivers door first and it’s gone and shut itself off.

Next time I’m at the dealership I’ll ask just to be sure.

As said above though, some cars have the auto shut off as a standard security feature (ie my mother’s Ford Escape).

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up They make it very complicated

All I want is to lock the doors , remote start the car , after a few minutes the car is nice and warm , unlock the doors , get in sit down , car senses key fob , put your foot on the brake , press start and ZOOM ZOOM you go....
Dean likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2019, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I added the Fortin solution myself with 1/2 mile 2-way remotes, expensive, almost $200 for this setup, but install is 30 minutes. Anyways, it shuts down when I open the door.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode