User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlyCoopers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CX3 antitheft light is on, won't start HELP!

So I just bought a used CX3 2016. Just got home from the dealership yesterday. But now the car won't start and the antitheft light is on. It's a lock around the car icon. But I have 2 fobs and both will lock/ unlock the car. I was just driving a few minutes ago. When I got home I was locking/unlocking the car as I went into my apartment while I was fitting some winter floor mats to the car. I imagine the antitheft mode somehow got enabled when I was coming and going.

I am sometimes seeing a green key icon with an !. Could the key battery need replaced? Seems weird that both would be dead at the same time.

Anything I can do besides paying to have a Mazda dealer tow my car? I've tried locking and unlocking the car. The engine just refuses to start and it must be that blinking light.

Should I try removing the car battery in hopes that it forgets about the antitheft mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Try and see if this works,

Push the top end of the keyfob against the ignition button, (linked to manual page) this is the failsafe method to starting the car with a dead keyfob. It makes no sense that doors would freely unlock and such but starter issue occurs. The only other thing I could think of is you may have replacement keys where the wireless signal is programmed to lock and unlock functions but interior NFC(?) chip is not registered to the ecu/bcm/cmu/whatever computer is called nowadays, but then you would not have been able to start the car in the first place on your way home so its a curious case.

Does it do this with both keys? If one is defective, it would have turned on when you drove home with both keys on hand since it picked up on the second key, but when you decided on a daily one to use, maybe that could have been the defective one? This is just speculation but I would say definitely call the dealership and have them set up some way of transporting it there because this is on them considering the car is a day-ish old for you. That being said dont just call for a tow to get it there because they might not compensate you for that.

Best of luck with this.

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/e.../05010201.html
Stokers Rule likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 PM

If you get a chance can you post a picture of the icons showing up? Might help others get an idea to reference it for a solution.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-24-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I got is started! I tried holding the key up to the ignition starter. I even tried holding down the brake pedal for a few seconds. I read somewhere that can start a car with a dead key battery.

Still not sure what got it to start but just glad it is working.

Are there things I should avoid doing with the key fob? I wish I knew how the anti theft got enabled to begin worth.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

One more question. I live in PA and mornings are cold. Is it OK to go into the car with the FOB and start the engine, and then go back inside with the FOB while letting the engine run? Or should I leave the FOB inside the car when I go inside? I live in a safe area and theft isn't a big concern.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Glad to hear it worked out, you should still mention it to the dealership incase it comes back this way you have a record of the issue and could always it to enforce a warranty repair later on since Im guessing your 2016 is close to the end,if not already, of its factory warranty.

I would suggest investing in a remote starter or if you really have to turn it on this way, always keep the keyfob on you and never leave it unattended in the car. Once you start the car it doesnt matter if the keyfob is inside the car or not , someone can actually drive away with it and it will not turn off. I used to think there was some killswitch where a potential thief would have the car turn off if they tried to drive away without the keyfob but I was wrong haha. They wont be able to turn it back on if they turn it off but by then the car would already be gone/broken into.

What you could do if you dont mind the extra steps for a little more security, turn the car on then as you leave lock it manually with the physical key from the outside. This was my winter warm up routine before I got the remote starter because I hated freezing even for the quick run to turn it on and go back in side lol. Once the car is on you cant lock it with the keyfob unless you go the manual key route which is the same as you locking the door from the inside hence why the car doesnt undo it.

If you do look into remote starters, Id suggest going to a local reputable shop to get it done. Even if you go to mazda for it they will contract it out to a local shop and charge you more so they have a profit margin. This way you can cut out the middle man and get more options for what remote/features you want etc.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

So you think I should look at buying the remote starter and then approaching a local mechanic? So that would be around 500 plus labor right? That's what I see when I search for remote starter parts.

Thanks for all the advice! Merry Christmas!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 05:40 PM

There are shops(usually the same that do electrical stuff like audio upgrades etc) which specialize in remote starter installations and they have their own supply of parts, mine was installed with all parts and labor under $400 where mazda dealer priced me at over 900+. Its easier to let the installer source the parts because theres so many details and things that need to be checked when personally buying parts yourself and thats assuming they are compatible and you have everything needed. I am almost always a DIY guy and was going to do it myself but after going through all the research I found that it was much less work/stress on your end and usually more cost efficient to let them do that part of the process. Some places have a flat hourly labor rate when using customer parts which is always going to cost more than a "package" they may offer with their own parts installed. Best of luck and merry christmas to you as well!

post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Although I would get your antitheft/light issue addressed by the dealer first. Worst case scenario they might blame any defects that are already there on the remote starter installation which would be unfortunate but sometimes they look for anyway out of taking responsibility for selling you a car with potential defects.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode