• 1 Post By tontogreenberg24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Question Symptoms of AC issue?

Hello all,

Its almost close to the end of warranty time for me so now I am probably extra paranoid about substantial parts going down on me and being left to handle repairs on my own dime. One occurance that kept popping up every now and then was the AC evaporator (maybe more?) issue which needs replacing in quite a few mazdas but is not under recall. This morning I begin to notice that my windshield defroster/fogger etc was making an unusual sound that sounds like an awkward pitch SHHHHH metallic sound but only heard when radio is off and such. I honestly cant remember if this has always been the case and would appreciate if someone could confirm this sort of sound when turning on the front windshield defogger, low fan and med temp setting.

To make my paranoia worse I decided to turn on the AC when I got home to see if I could reproduce the SHHH sound and it did repeat momentarily when the AC came on. To make matters worse the car was then not cooling, not sure if the medium heat setting warmed up the internal track of the vents to the point that after 3 minutes the ac was still not blowing cold air (unlikely) or my ac suddenly decided to fail randomly. Im almost certain that there is something wrong with the AC system at this point and with my luck it will probably start working tomorrow when the dealer opens so I wouldnt be able to reproduce it.

So this brings me to my question, what symptoms would be expected if this was the AC evaporator issue?
Besides "theres no cold air obviously", im looking for identifiable noise, smells, certain settings causing certain sounds etc.
Thank you all in advance

(I realize this is somewhat of a stupid question but AC systems (and Dexcool cooling systems) are probably the only things left on a vehicle that I have not had any experience with replacing/dismantling mainly because I tend to avoid anything that is pressurized)

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
At a minimum, I would take it to your dealer, explain your symptoms (including that the defroster does not seem to be functioning properly), and have them document the issue before your warranty expires. They may test it and say there's nothing wrong, but if it's later a problem, both you and the dealer will have a good argument for Mazda N.A. repairing it under warranty.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

According to them it was indeed a condenser leak and that sound I was hearing with the defroster (even on warm) was air escaping supposedly. Thankfully it was remedied within warranty which expires next month lol but id imagine there are other people with 2016s who are nearing end of warranty who would have similar concerns regarding this. Id suggest others reading this to test the ac periodically and immediately get it checked if you hear funky noises from the front windshield defroster. Gotta love when theres a tsb confirming this issue yet if you step one day past warranty its like it never exists and is all on you to pay the cost. :/
mainemanx likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
DUDE! I was just about to make the exact same post. I heard the SHHHH metallic sound about a week and half ago and thought that's weird. Now in the last couple days I noticed that the AC isn't cooling. Pretty much what multiple people have gone through on this forum. I'm about 32 months (13,000 miles) into the warranty on the used 2016 I bought in the December of last year. So let me ask you:

You took it to the dealer and explained the issue. Did the dealer fix it free of charge? What warranty is it covered by specifically?

Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontogreenberg24 View Post
DUDE! I was just about to make the exact same post. I heard the SHHHH metallic sound about a week and half ago and thought that's weird. Now in the last couple days I noticed that the AC isn't cooling. Pretty much what multiple people have gone through on this forum. I'm about 32 months (13,000 miles) into the warranty on the used 2016 I bought in the December of last year. So let me ask you:

You took it to the dealer and explained the issue. Did the dealer fix it free of charge? What warranty is it covered by specifically?

Thanks!
Warranty differs by location.

I was in my dealership for unrelated service work ; I did not have a problem but they said it went from a service bulletin to a recall, so likely wherever your location, it will be fixed without charge.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontogreenberg24 View Post

Thanks!
Like dean said it depends on the country and warranty of the area etc. Although I wish were were lucky enough here for it to be a full recall instead of tsb but alas we are not. I pretty much went in and told them about the noise in the defroster and AC not cooling, and they took it in to look at it. After doing some sort of dye test they found out that it was leaking. They said it was a condenser leak while tsb floating around here says evaporator??? not sure if related to same part but different sides or entirely different piece. Fortunately they had the part available so my checkup ended up being a 3 hour wait but it fixed the problem.

Now with regards to warranty, here theres the 3 year / x mile warranty that covers almost everything. The powertrain is longer but ONLY covers parts that pretty much make the car move which does not include AC, at least in the states. Perforation and others are unrelated to this so sadly only the main warranty here would be covering this job.

Most important thing I can suggest is to get it looked at regardless because there will be a record of the issue present during warranty period and if they try to "repair" it another way and the issue still presists, there is usually a separate warranty period on repair work done by a dealer (here is 1 year from day of repair). That way if something else pops up related to this while under the repaired warranty you have a better chance of getting it covered or at least negotiating a less costly repair.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-23-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Also what mainemanx said is probably one of the underlying truths to warranty work people take for granted. For warranty work to be covered, mazda has to pick up the bill for the dealership to accept the "free" work. Generally this is not a problem but if you run a bit past warranty period ,as a last resort you could always try contacting mazda itself and explain the situation, prior dealer visits related to the issue, existance of the tsb etc, and see if they will approve it. They tend to be more lenient depending on circumstances since they are much more customer service orientated.

Can confirm that they are better to deal with in extreme situations since there was a huge issue with identifying why my infotainment system kept rebooting years back and the dealer was replacing random parts that werent being approved by mazda for warranty work since it was not fixing the issue and was racking up a large bill almost to the point that the dealer didnt want to do anything more to repair it. After back and forth phone calls initiated by mazda customer service reps themselves we finally arrived at the conclusion of it being the sd card reader after some manual troubleshooting.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
UPDATE: May have had the most pain free experience ever. Called the dealer and explained the problems I was having (AC compressor and condensation in headlights), scheduled an appointment, went in and dropped off the car, waited for 30 minutes, they said that that both were covered under warranty and they would replace them free of charge, gave me a loaner car and said see you tomorrow (2019 cx-5 fully loaded!), went back and picked up my car. If only it was always free and fast!
SlyCoopers likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode