'16 CX-3 Touring A/C Issue - Page 2 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Is this an issue with ALL CX3's or the Canadian models? Our 2016 has around 25K with no problems so far and most of its time is spent in the Phoenix (hot) area. Just curious, haven't heard anything from Mazda re problems etc.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
They’re all capable of doing it although some don’t. There have been several production modifications to address the issue.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #13 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
They’re all capable of doing it although some don’t. There have been several production modifications to address the issue.
Thanks, I better keep an eye on it then. Warranty ends in January...

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

post #14 of 21 Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Just chiming in -- I have a 2017 Touring here in Philadelphia (USA) and yeah, the A/C was always pretty anemic, until recently, when it died altogether. Time to tell the dealership I may be a candidate for some new whizbang parts, I guess!

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Interesting that in the Consumers Report for April (Auto edition) the 2017 Mazda CX3 is "Not Recommended." (Ouch!) But in looking at the charts I see that the only item that is severely downgraded is Climate Control. All other categories are in the average to good range. I am wondering if the bad AC is the cause of the CU downgrade. I ask because I had a flaky air conditioner in my 2016 CX3 which was replaced and now all Climate Control settings work as expected.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Just chiming in -- I have a 2017 Touring here in Philadelphia (USA) and yeah, the A/C was always pretty anemic, until recently, when it died altogether. Time to tell the dealership I may be a candidate for some new whizbang parts, I guess!
I can relate to your hobbies in the signature as I just came from a trip to Europe-Albania and ended up with a rental cx-3 for a couple of days. Manual diesel was really a different experience but so much fun in mountain/rocky roads and a shame we dont get to experience that back home

Ironically the ac also didnt work in that car too so its unfortunate that this isnt a US isolated incident only. Then again theres no legitmate mazda dealer in albania in the first place so not surprising its not repaired.
Sarah likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #17 of 21 Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Is it a extended warranty for the air conditioner and for how long will it last.Mazda should do a recall?
post #18 of 21 Old 04-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playthru1 View Post
Is it a extended warranty for the air conditioner and for how long will it last.Mazda should do a recall?
Unfortunatly this is one of those awkward moments where mazda really should do an extended warranty or just recall it considering it was a production issue for at least the first 2 years. However I have a feeling that these parts might have been produced in accordance to specs on their other mazda lineups also which would make a simple cx-3 problem turn into a entire brand-wide PR issue making mazda look bad and they would never admit or want that. Cost/benefit analysis points to a few hundred cx-3 owners being irritated with the brand and being left without a working ac post warranty being more profitable than a full recall implying mazda has poor quality potentially costing them thousands+ in future business. Even if it does not effect certain owners, being told that your model's ac *MIGHT* potentially die and you will have to pay to repair a manufacturing defect out of warranty also angers people who have no idea about this issue and again leads to bad PR for the company. Its really irritating but this is the nature of business unfortunatly :/

On the other hand I believe it would be a 2016-early17 model year issue only, although I have no facts to back that up besides replacement parts being available in 2017. One would think that because of the modified part being available, they would stop using the faulty parts to avoid this turning into a bigger issue.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #19 of 21 Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Unfortunatly this is one of those awkward moments where mazda really should do an extended warranty or just recall it considering it was a production issue for at least the first 2 years. However I have a feeling that these parts might have been produced in accordance to specs on their other mazda lineups also which would make a simple cx-3 problem turn into a entire brand-wide PR issue making mazda look bad and they would never admit or want that. Cost/benefit analysis points to a few hundred cx-3 owners being irritated with the brand and being left without a working ac post warranty being more profitable than a full recall implying mazda has poor quality potentially costing them thousands+ in future business. Even if it does not effect certain owners, being told that your model's ac *MIGHT* potentially die and you will have to pay to repair a manufacturing defect out of warranty also angers people who have no idea about this issue and again leads to bad PR for the company. Its really irritating but this is the nature of business unfortunatly :/

On the other hand I believe it would be a 2016-early17 model year issue only, although I have no facts to back that up besides replacement parts being available in 2017. One would think that because of the modified part being available, they would stop using the faulty parts to avoid this turning into a bigger issue.
I am one of those owners.
just turned over 30,000 Km.
So this summer when it heats up I'll be in the " I hope it works mode"
I prefer the roof open, so the expectation of cooling hasn't been there very often..
Not a big job , hopefully Mazda will just change them as they come.

I did purchase the extended warranty which I don't normally do.
Of course, I also bought a car first year out.

zoom-zoom

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #20 of 21 Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Just had the condenser in my 2017 CX-3 (Touring) replaced a few days ago (April 2019). It is ROBUST now, compared to what it was when brand new. I think the condenser (and compressor, from what I hear?) weren't stellar to begin with, but the replacements are better. Hooray for better parts!

And now if they could just make the rear camera work more than 80% of the time, for heaven's sake. Every time it rains, it fails. But it also sometimes fails in the cold. Or on Tuesdays. Or when I think of England. Or when it wants to.
SlyCoopers likes this.

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode