Oil Amount - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Oil Amount

Changed the oil today...Manual says 4.4 quarts to fill....I let the pan drain for probably an hour....New filter installed.....It took close to 5 quarts to get it to the fill dot on the stick....

After sitting for a few hours, it's maybe 1/8" over the fill dot but not much over to concern me.......

So the 4.4 quart figure is not too accurate as far as I'm concerned.....
bluecx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure where you got 4.4 qt. number but the 2016 owner's manual says 4.2 with a filter change and 4.0 without. Some of that will depend on the method of removal and whether there's any grade to the surface the car was sitting on.

Also, I'm not sure how you did it but proper oil level check requires you warm the engine up and then let it sit for 5 minutes to let the oil drain back down to the pan. Oil, like most things, expands when warm so the volume will increase. My rule of thumb is to fill to the midpoint between the add and full marks before warming the engine up, stopping for 5 minutes, and doing the final check.

One nice thing about using an oil extractor is being able to see exactly how much oil was removed. Add about 1/2 qt. less than you remove and then check the same as above.

Edit: Update after some research...
The thermal expansion coefficient of motor oil is somewhere between 0.0007/K and 0.001/K. We'll use 0.00085/K for this math.

If you increase the temperature from 20C to 100C, 4.2 qt of oil will expand to ~ 4.8 qt. Alternately, if you cool 4.8 qt of oil from 100C to 20C, you'll end up with 4.2 qt. So, we're already in the ballpark of 5 qt. The 1/8" you're over on the dipstick could easily be the 0.2 qt overfill.
st3v3cx-3 likes this.


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 07-31-2018 at 03:49 PM.
NotAPreppie is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South East UK
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I wish Mazda had both 'oil level when cold' and 'oil level when hot' markings on either side of the dipstick. It's can be a bit of a pain sometimes having to go on a short trip to get the oil hot and then wait 5 minutes to check it when with suitable markings it could have been done when the oil is cold - as a number of other manufacturers stipulate from my car history.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
st3v3cx-3 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
I'm not sure where you got 4.4 qt. number but the 2016 owner's manual says 4.2 with a filter change and 4.0 without. Some of that will depend on the method of removal and whether there's any grade to the surface the car was sitting on.

Also, I'm not sure how you did it but proper oil level check requires you warm the engine up and then let it sit for 5 minutes to let the oil drain back down to the pan. Oil, like most things, expands when warm so the volume will increase. My rule of thumb is to fill to the midpoint between the add and full marks before warming the engine up, stopping for 5 minutes, and doing the final check.

One nice thing about using an oil extractor is being able to see exactly how much oil was removed. Add about 1/2 qt. less than you remove and then check the same as above.

Edit: Update after some research...
The thermal expansion coefficient of motor oil is somewhere between 0.0007/K and 0.001/K. We'll use 0.00085/K for this math.

If you increase the temperature from 20C to 100C, 4.2 qt of oil will expand to ~ 4.8 qt. Alternately, if you cool 4.8 qt of oil from 100C to 20C, you'll end up with 4.2 qt. So, we're already in the ballpark of 5 qt. The 1/8" you're over on the dipstick could easily be the 0.2 qt overfill.
Here in the US we or should I say I go by quarts.....4.2 liter with filter = 4.4 US quarts. Page 9-5 in the manual....Also, as stated, I let the car sit for a few hours before checking the level...

Last edited by bluecx; 07-31-2018 at 06:02 PM.
bluecx is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecx View Post
Here in the US we or should I say I go by quarts.....4.2 liter with filter = 4.4 US quarts. Page 9-5 in the manual....Also, as stated, I let the car sit for a few hours before checking the level...
Okay, so Mazda are wrong and you are right.

Congrats!


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
NotAPreppie is online now  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Okay, so Mazda are wrong and you are right.

Congrats!
Mazda's not wrong, you failed to read the other numbers in the ( )...........not something to lose sleep over....
bluecx is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
There are often claims that Mazda’s come underfilled from the factory but in fact, you should add oil as directed and treat the top mark on the stick as a maximum mark not a full mark.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecx View Post
So the 4.4 quart figure is not too accurate as far as I'm concerned.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecx View Post
Mazda's not wrong, you failed to read the other numbers in the ( )
If you insist.


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
NotAPreppie is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 08-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Southern Connecticut
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
There are often claims that Mazdaís come underfilled from the factory but in fact, you should add oil as directed and treat the top mark on the stick as a maximum mark not a full mark.
Actually, this could be any manufacturer. Back in 2006, when I picked up my brand-new Honda Pilot, I let the car sit for about 10 minutes in my garage and then checked the oil level (which I do with every new car). I was surprised to see the dipstick read about one-third of a quart above the ADD mark. I took it back to the Honda dealer the very next morning and told the service manager that my brand new car was two-thirds quart under the FULL mark. He pulled the car into the service bay, let it sit for maybe 4-5 minutes and checked it himself. He got the very same reading I did. His answer was that the level was perfectly normal and "within the range". I insisted the level be brought up to the FULL mark, or close to, which he had a technician do while I watched. I asked the Tech if he had ever seen any other new vehicles with an oil level under full and he said absolutely.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
skyking is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Actually, this could be any manufacturer. Back in 2006, when I picked up my brand-new Honda Pilot, I let the car sit for about 10 minutes in my garage and then checked the oil level (which I do with every new car). I was surprised to see the dipstick read about one-third of a quart above the ADD mark. I took it back to the Honda dealer the very next morning and told the service manager that my brand new car was two-thirds quart under the FULL mark. He pulled the car into the service bay, let it sit for maybe 4-5 minutes and checked it himself. He got the very same reading I did. His answer was that the level was perfectly normal and "within the range". I insisted the level be brought up to the FULL mark, or close to, which he had a technician do while I watched. I asked the Tech if he had ever seen any other new vehicles with an oil level under full and he said absolutely.
I was topping up to the full mark when I first came over to Mazda but Iíve stopped doing it now. Itís just a waste of money when the spec says it takes less.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome