User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Bought a new toy

To make working on my cars a little bit easier I purchased this couple weeks ago:

https://www.costco.ca/Quickjack-BL-7...100410530.html

I test lifted my Z06 already and the other day I tried it on the CX-3:

Still have to try it on the SX4 and Shelby. The Shelby I tried it but the lift frames aren't long enough to reach the proper jacking points so I have to get frame extensions to be able to lift that car.

I was hoping I didn't need them and would rather not spend the extra cash for the extensions (I really bought the QJ first for lifting the Shelby, also being able to do the other cars were a bonus), but the Costco price was pretty decent already and in CAN $$$ (Check QJ's US site and you can see what they charge for my 7000SLX and it's in US $$$'s).

First order of business with my Quickjack??? Lifting up the CX-3 again and doing the drivetrain fluid change (all 3 trans, diff and transfer case).

Tony
thearborbarber likes this.

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500

Last edited by Cman; 06-30-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
OMG ... someone's sporting some serious change
Certainly looks nice ... efficient, safe ... would allay the spouse's fears when I crawl underneath one of ours.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Great investment. I have the 5000 model that was a bit shorter

Have not put the CX3 on it yet.
TiGrayMSM and Cman like this.

2015 CX3 Akari - 2.0 Petrol AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Pedal Kit, Hood Insulator, Boot Liner, Front Parking Sensors, 40% Tint, Paddle Shifts, USB to Glovebox..Console, Infotainment Tweaks......

post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Beautiful shop ... and lifts √
TiGrayMSM likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

That is a nice Vette down under!!! Question: Do you not have to change the car to right hand drive when you had the car there or because of the age you don't have to do that?

Going out there in a few and start the drivetrain fluid changes on the CX-3, unfortunately not looking forward to it since today and during the whole weekend it is around 32'C feeling like 40+'C (YUCK!!!!) but it's gotta be done.

Happy Canada day to me!!!!

Tony
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, yes ... Happy O'Canada Day ... to Bluenoses and all

post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Back inside the house, showered and cooling off. All 3 drivetrain fluids are done. I feel better just knowing fresh fluid is circulating throughout all the major components.

Couple of things I noticed while doing these jobs:

The trans drain plug and transfer case fill plug uses an 8mm allen head key, use one that is part of a 3/8" drive socket so you can use your ratchet to loosen and tighten it to specs. MAKE SURE you are square on those plugs before you try to loosen it cause if you are not you will round off the female allen head side of the plug and YOU ARE SCREWED. You will need a clear tube about 4 ft. long 7/16" diameter to be able to fill the transfer case and diff, run the tube up through the engine compartment for the transfer case and from the diff out near the RR wheel area. Keep a downward angle on the tube so the gear oil you put in will drain into those components when refilling. 2 people doing this part will be better (I was underneath holding the tube in while the GF pour the oil above, she needed to put in the sweat equity too).

The transfer case drain plug and diff plugs use a 15/16" socket, you probably have to use a 1/2" drive ratchet for that size plug to loosen and tighten it. The diff fill plug does fit a tad loose with the socket than the other ones (I tried a 22 and 24mm socket and they either didn't fit or was too loose, I think it's a 23mm socket which is an odd size but 15/16" socket will work). The diff and transfer case drain plugs are also magnetic and there were quite a bit of filings on them when removed, if you purchased your car new I would recommend doing it after about a year and a bit of driving then afterwards you can drain and refill those after about 4 years. The trans I'm going to do again in about 1.5-2 years since you can't drain out all the fluids. This will keep the fluids constantly fresh without running them for too long.

Always replace the washers when you do this service (part of the manual servicing) and tighten the plugs to the proper specs.

Dab a bit of anti-seize on the transfer case plugs and diff plugs before reinstall, this ensures you can remove them down the road when your car is exposed to numerous winters in salty areas, do the same for the bolts on the splash shield you need to remove to be able to change out the trans fluid and transfer case fluids.

The trans calls for 3.3L to refill after draining, I put in 3L then after everything was all done the GF went for a drive to make sure all the fluids were good. I then rechecked the trans level when she came back and it was right on the mark. I will recheck it after a few days and if need be I will top it up. You will need a funnel with a long down spout to be able to fill the trans via the dipstick tube.

Not too bad to do, having the QJ made it easy to get the car up and lots of room under there when in the air, happy that I made the purchase (still have to get it to work with lifting up my Shelby).
mainemanx and thearborbarber like this.

Last edited by Cman; 07-01-2018 at 08:22 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What did you use for fluids?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
That is a nice Vette down under!!! Question: Do you not have to change the car to right hand drive when you had the car there or because of the age you don't have to do that?

Going out there in a few and start the drivetrain fluid changes on the CX-3, unfortunately not looking forward to it since today and during the whole weekend it is around 32'C feeling like 40+'C (YUCK!!!!) but it's gotta be done.

Happy Canada day to me!!!!

Tony
Hi Tony

An imported car over a certain age (25 years I believe) can remain in left hand drive. And be egistered to drive. Here.

Craig

2015 CX3 Akari - 2.0 Petrol AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Pedal Kit, Hood Insulator, Boot Liner, Front Parking Sensors, 40% Tint, Paddle Shifts, USB to Glovebox..Console, Infotainment Tweaks......
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
What did you use for fluids?
The proper Mazda fluids specified in the pdf's anchorman posted up for the drivetrain.

"An imported car over a certain age (25 years I believe) can remain in left hand drive. And be registered to drive. Here."

That's good to know, I always thought they had to be converted to be able to be licensed and driven over there.

Tony

Last edited by Cman; 07-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode