• 1 Post By NotAPreppie
  • 1 Post By Vipre77
  • 1 Post By greaseman85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Question Mazda collecting data from cx3?

So my 2016 cx3 which I got in December of 2015 has about 7000ish miles and Ive been going sparingly to the service department for oil changes since it is not used much. Today I received an email from mazda saying I am due for a service/liftgate recall etc , pretty much the same generic email you get for service reminders except for the fact where they said I have 7213 miles which was exactly the mileage from yesterday morning. Considering the last time I was at the dealer was January-Feb to fix the infotainment cold temp restarting issue, there is absolutely no way they could assume my mileage given its random times and distances that it is driven through the year. Which leads me to believe that the car is transmitting to mazda's servers whenever it is turned on. I get that gps connectivity would be transmitting location to sat servers for it to work and radio mainly is receiving signals(I dont use sirius sat radio) so this seems a little unusual given the data transmitted. Does anyone have any information regarding this by any chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20170719_095100_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	18209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170719-095052.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	18217  

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Bizare maybe you cars needs an

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
So my 2016 cx3 which I got in December of 2015 has about 7000ish miles and Ive been going sparingly to the service department for oil changes since it is not used much. Today I received an email from mazda saying I am due for a service/liftgate recall etc , pretty much the same generic email you get for service reminders except for the fact where they said I have 7213 miles which was exactly the mileage from yesterday morning. Considering the last time I was at the dealer was January-Feb to fix the infotainment cold temp restarting issue, there is absolutely no way they could assume my mileage given its random times and distances that it is driven through the year. Which leads me to believe that the car is transmitting to mazda's servers whenever it is turned on. I get that gps connectivity would be transmitting location to sat servers for it to work and radio mainly is receiving signals(I dont use sirius sat radio) so this seems a little unusual given the data transmitted. Does anyone have any information regarding this by any chance?
Exorcism !!!

I just hope that the Technicians head does not spin around and expel expletives at a great rate of knots.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Actually, GPS receivers are only receivers. The GPS receiver just takes the signal from several satellites and uses it to triangulate your position. It then correlates that position with data on the navigation SD card.

The Google and Waze phone apps (and similar) take this a step further to transmit your GPS and cellular triangulation position data back to their servers via your cellular data to support their advertising and traffic data.

This doesn't preclude the existence of a cellular transceiver in the car providing telematics data to Mazda but I've never heard of it.

It's entirely possible that they attempted to extrapolate your car usage and just got lucky. It's also possible that while your day-to-day or week-to-week usage might be variable but it could smooth out over longer time scales.
jtonline likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure they are not. They, like other manufacturers, I imagine that they are just using predictive software based on your usage which is calculated by date of sale on your VIN and the last mileage recorded when you brought the car in. That gives them an idea of your usage patterns in terms of average miles/day. Many people are surprisingly regular in their driving habits. Daily commutes to/from work. Short runs to the grocery store every so often. Stuff like that.

They are way off estimates on my wife's CX-5. She's got nearly 10K miles more than the estimate they gave when we last got a message like that on her car. Mine was much closer, but my usage in the CX-3 is also a lot more routine than my wife's. We rarely take it on longer trips. 90%+ of the mileage it sees is just my drives to/from work and once/week to tae kwon do class with the kids. The wife does all kinds of random trips around town besides her commutes to work. We also drove her car from Milwaukee to Ottawa, ON, Canada last summer for an extended weekend which put about 2000 miles on it in a span of 4 days. That one really threw off Mazda's estimates.
jtonline likes this.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
I think it was just a spot on estimate in your case.
Cyclone1410 likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode