User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Autocross

As any of you done some autocross with your cx3? Went to an autocross event today and thought maybe the cx3 would be fun to drive on the course. It would definitely not be fast but it could still be fun!

Dynamic Blue '17 CX-3 GX AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeArr View Post
As any of you done some autocross with your cx3? Went to an autocross event today and thought maybe the cx3 would be fun to drive on the course. It would definitely not be fast but it could still be fun!
No autocross here, but no doubt it would be fun

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder what other cars would be considered in the same class? Could be a guaranteed win, I'd imagine. I doubt many people are racing cars like this and you could end up in your own class. Would be interesting to see how the CX-3 fares though against some competition. If anyone else showed up, I'd guess maybe a Juke or Mini Clubman/Countryman S. We already know what the auto blog reviewers say in street conditions, but I haven't really seen any head-to-head comparisons with a focus on performance.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
If they let a CX-3 compete without lowering springs, it would probably be in HS and get creamed by a Fiesta ST in any large market (Chicago, Milwaukee, SoCal, etc).

Some cars aren't allowed to compete in stock class due to height/roll-over concerns. The Fiat 500 (non-Abarth), Dodge Caliber, Nissan Juke, Scions iQ and xB come to mind. That said I did see a brand new Porsche Macan with temp tags in BS at a Chicago event a while back.

The rule of thumb is that the ratio of height to track width should be less than 1. The CX-3 height (60.9") to track (59.9") ratio is ~1.02. A set of H&R Sport Springs (lowering 1.1") should be enough to get you past this but then you'd be in (just guessing) STS where you'll be up against NA Miata and Civic CRX drivers.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 07-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I used to do autocross with a couple of old Datsun 510s and when I drive my Mazda CX3, it gives a very similar feeling (if it had stick shift and rear drive, it would probably be identical. It certainly sounds and feels very similar).

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I wonder what other cars would be considered in the same class? Could be a guaranteed win, I'd imagine. I doubt many people are racing cars like this and you could end up in your own class. Would be interesting to see how the CX-3 fares though against some competition. If anyone else showed up, I'd guess maybe a Juke or Mini Clubman/Countryman S. We already know what the auto blog reviewers say in street conditions, but I haven't really seen any head-to-head comparisons with a focus on performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
If they let a CX-3 compete without lowering springs, it would probably be in HS and get creamed by a Fiesta ST in any large market (Chicago, Milwaukee, SoCal, etc).

Some cars aren't allowed to compete in stock class due to height/roll-over concerns. The Fiat 500 (non-Abarth), Dodge Caliber, Nissan Juke, Scions iQ and xB come to mind. That said I did see a brand new Porsche Macan with temp tags in BS at a Chicago event a while back.

The rule of thumb is that the ratio of height to track width should be less than 1. The CX-3 height (60.9") to track (59.9") ratio is ~1.02. A set of H&R Sport Springs (lowering 1.1") should be enough to get you past this but then you'd be in (just guessing) STS where you'll be up against NA Miata and Civic CRX drivers.
Stock CX-3, according to the specs online, would probably not be allowed to autocross if the organizers are strict (not allowing a ~0.015 surplus). Another way to be allowed other than installing lowering springs would be by installing wider rims, I think.

As for the class, for the event I went, I don't think they had any. But what ever class the CX-3 would fall in, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the top best times hehe.

Dynamic Blue '17 CX-3 GX AWD
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm... Stiffer lowering springs, maybe a set of sway bars, Orange Virus ECU tune (allegedly gets you to somewhere between 180-200 hp) on 93 octane. FWD or convert an AWD model to full-time RWD (remove front trans-axles and rig the clutch for the rear to stay in the fully engaged position)...

Probably would still get beat by a CRX, Miata, or Fiesta ST even if they didn't put you in a different class with all the mods you'd have done.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Last edited by Vipre77; 07-12-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Those mods would probably put you into street prepared if not street modified. If SM, you might as well go with an engine swap with a turbo. I wonder if you can fit the 3.7L Cyclone V6 from the 6/CX-9 under our hoods... If so, you can bolt on all of Fords Ecoboost parts and make 400+ HP.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode