• 1 Post By Vipre77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mazda 3S versus VW GTI

Can't make a decision: Mazda 3 S or VW GTI? Do I go with the Mazda's better reliability, fuel economy, regular gas and modern interior or the GTI's quicker acceleration, better handling and classic design? Car will be used as a daily driver of fairly low mile trips in the traffic clogged and anti-car region of Seattle area.
Appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
If you read what you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
Can't make a decision: Mazda 3 S or VW GTI? Do I go with the Mazda's better reliability, fuel economy, regular gas and modern interior or the GTI's quicker acceleration, better handling and classic design? Car will be used as a daily driver of fairly low mile trips in the traffic clogged and anti-car region of Seattle area.
Thanks!
have written, you will have the decision made for yourself, Mazda reliability, etc being used in a Clogged City area, totally against the VW which may be quicker and have better handling, yet not being able to use it so why go that way.

Mazda more comfort, etc. drive both many times and see what is going to suit you best, look at standard features of both, what car has the more room if needed, the list goes on, and on.

In the end its your decision and what your going to be happy with and be happy for years to come.

Just my thoughts.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
Thanks!
Have you test driven either?

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
I agree that the 3 seems to fit what you described better. Personally though I'd go for the GTI for a few reasons. I never liked the overall design and look of the 3 even if the new one has a better interior than the GTI. The GTI has more passenger/cargo capacity as well I believe, which can be a plus from time to time. Also a HUGE plus for me, it has a modern infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #5 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
If it's mostly short commutes, that's not great for a turbo long-term and those are expensive to repair when they crap out. And being stuck in traffic routinely isn't going to do a clutch any favors if equipped with a manual transmission (does GTI even have an automatic as an option?). I assume the GTI requires premium gas, too, which is a big negative around here in the midwest where 91-93 octane premium costs ~30% more per gallon the regular 87 octane that the Mazda will run. I don't know what gas prices are like in Seattle, though. Could be very different than around here.

As far as practicality.... Eh, the GTI might have an edge over the 3, but it's not by a lot. I like the styling and economy of the 3 better, but obviously the performance of the GTI wins in a race. I just dislike VW's in general, but that's just my own preference, obviously.

It's not really for us to decide here. You have to decide which factors are most important to you and base your choice on that. Objectively, though, I think the Mazda is a better/smarter fit given your use case you've presented unless you don't care about costs of operation and maintenance.
TiGrayMSM likes this.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode